Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Well, a powerbook G4, is better then my iMac G4. Also, I'm getting 2GB of ram. So, i thought the PC version of lets say, office and adobe would run slower, but not the mac version. Also, if i'm not useing adobe or office, will the computer run at regular speed.

And to run these things, will rosetta have to be on/ running while using or installing these things? I'm not to sure who this works.

Thanks for all your help BTW.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
DJMastaWes said:
Well, a powerbook G4, is better then my iMac G4. Also, I'm getting 2GB of ram. So, i thought the PC version of lets say, office and adobe would run slower, but not the mac version. Also, if i'm not useing adobe or office, will the computer run at regular speed.

And to run these things, will rosetta have to be on/ running while using or installing these things? I'm not to sure who this works.

Thanks for all your help BTW.
No, as of now the PC version would run faster than the Mac version because it would be running natively. Rosetta is invisible, it's not a program, you don't turn it on or off.

http://www.apple.com/rosetta

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Well, atleast I don't have to change the way i install things and stuff, It is a shame that it will run slower, but is it really a big deal? I mean, I will use Office for school, adobe for work and school and that type of stuff, but i wont be intensivley using those things. I just hope it's not a noticlbe slowness. That would be a shame.

I probebly won't be useing any windows programs.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
DJMastaWes said:
Well, atleast I don't have to change the way i install things and stuff, It is a shame that it will run slower, but is it really a big deal? I mean, I will use Office for school, adobe for work and school and that type of stuff, but i wont be intensivley using those things. I just hope it's not a noticlbe slowness. That would be a shame.

I probebly won't be useing any windows programs.

You don't appear to do PRO stuff and work with really huge Photoshop files so you'll be fine running under Rosetta and working with 2 gigs of ram.

Go grab a MacBook Pro and enjoy it, or wait for Mac Pro..

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
I would rather a laptop. Thanks for your help!!

So yea, I'm gonna wait untill WWDC to order my MBP, here are what the specs are gonna be like...

Specifications

2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
100GB Serial ATA drive @ 7200 rpm
MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
Apple USB Modem
15.4-inch TFT Display

$3338.00

I do have 1 last question.
I'm not sure if i should get a $120 GB HD at 5400 RPM or a 100GB HD at 7200 RPM, I want speen and space.. right now i'm leaning tward 100 GB. Any advice?

What would give me more resale value?

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
DJMastaWes said:
I do have 1 last question.
I'm not sure if i should get a $120 GB HD at 5400 RPM or a 100GB HD at 7200 RPM, I want speen and space.. right now i'm leaning tward 100 GB. Any advice?

What would give me more resale value?

I think you've made a good decision to wait for WWDC. Just be patient and you'll be rewarded! :)

As far as your question goes, I think they would not have markedly different resale value. I'd prefer the 7200 RPM drive myself. Even though the speed will not be that different, it seems more significant to me than 20 GB of HD space... these days, 20 GB is nothing anyway.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Alright thanks.
Also, i havnt seen the diffence in PERSON, but i think i would prefer a glossy screen, over a regular screen. Opininons?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
DJMastaWes said:
I would rather a laptop. Thanks for your help!!
So yea, I'm gonna wait untill WWDC to order my MBP, here are what the specs are gonna be like...
Specifications

2.16GHz Intel Core Duo
2GB 667 DDR2 - 2x1GB SO-DIMMs
100GB Serial ATA drive @ 7200 rpm
MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
Apple USB Modem
15.4-inch TFT Display

$3338.00
By my calculations, you would save about CAN$200 installing your own third-party RAM rather than ordering the 2 Gb rig from Apple.

Also, You may wish to delay a major purchase until after the proposed GST reduction to 6% has been implemented on July 1

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
CanadaRAM said:
By my calculations, you would save about CAN$200 installing your own third-party RAM rather than ordering the 2 Gb rig from Apple.

Also, You may wish to delay a major purchase until after the proposed GST reduction to 6% has been implemented on July 1

I'm getting it after WWDC...

I think i'll get the glossy, it says its good for graphics and stuff, but just incase ill take a look at the too in the store.

regre7

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Dang. If I got below a 90, my mom would take my computer away. I don't even want to imagine an 80.

I'm next in line to be your new brother.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
I have another questoin (sorry) What cable would I need to hook up the MBP to a projector. Becuase i'll probebly end up using Keynote for some school keynote stuff, and Wanna know, if I bring in the MBP, what cable I need.
Thanks.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
That depends on what the projector uses. Probably VGA, maybe DVI. For you, you should bring your DVI-VGA converter dongle that comes with the computer and you'll be fine.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
DJMastaWes said:
So.. what wire then?

Reading is fundamental.

yellow said:
That depends on what the projector uses. Probably VGA, maybe DVI. For you, you should bring your DVI-VGA converter dongle that comes with the computer and you'll be fine.

It looks like this:

http://www.adorama.com/images/Product/ACDVITVGADA.JPG

Most likely whomever has the projector has the correct cable to use between the laptop and the projector, be it VGA or DVI. Whichever one it is, it'll be pretty damn easy to figure out what to connect when you get to that point.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
So I don't have to buy anything? That comes with my computer. Because I don't want the presintaion day to come, I bring my laptop, and it doesnt work, and I get a 0.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
It comes with the computer.

If you're really worried about it, plan ahead.

You should ask whomever has the projector which projector you'll be using, which cables they have available, which ones you might need, etc.

Not something we can help with. ;)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
savar said:
So you didn't achieve your goal of an 80 average...but you get the computer anyway? Please send over your parent's phone number, I'd like to apply to be their new kid.

That what i was thinking:D

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
regre7 said:
Dang. If I got below a 90, my mom would take my computer away. I don't even want to imagine an 80.

I'm next in line to be your new brother.

Your mom is to demands to much, if you lose a tool to help you get grades, if you make one mistake, when you do bad. Tell her to chill, or go find harder stuff to learn, keep find harder stuff to learn until you find things that its hard to get 85s in.

As to the OP, well his mom is easy. And nice. But i'm sure he has thing that his is good at.

But we need to judge each case on the child, perhaps the mom thinks a new Mac will help him, or she just loves him

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
mortey said:
Enriched hm?
What does that mean?

EDIT: Hopefully someone reads this..

Okay, I have some more questions.. Yes I'm a n00b, sorry, but I just wanna make sure of this stuff.

Will my mac have wireless when I get it? I have a linksys wireless system, it doesnt work on my iMac, but I don't have an air port card in it, but will it work on the MBP??

Also, when I order my mac, I wanna order 2 wireless mice, one for the MBP, and one for the iMac. How do i get them to work on the iMac? and will they interfear with eachother?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.