Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Apple be selling a less able version of the Iphone 7 without the customers knowledge

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
It's rather simpler than that. The SIM-free version should be the one that supports the most carriers/bands/etc. (as it basically is in US).
Tell Qualcomm to charge a flat rate for their chip instead of a rate tied directly to the cost of the phone. It's the reason why Apple uses Intel for the GSM and why Samsung uses Exynos chips in every Galaxy S phone except for the US and Japan.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
That's why you should go to a store in person and tell them that you want to use the phone in the USA. If they don't know and sell it anyway, then it's not fit for purpose (because _your_ purpose was to use it in the USA, and you told them). Most likely, the first person in the store will say "I don't know" and find someone who knows, and then they either get you a phone that will work, or they won't sell you a phone.
[doublepost=1486550186][/doublepost]
In this case, "premium" meant: The best iPhone you can get for use in the UK and Europe. That's what you got. You needed to ask for "phone that works in the USA". As a rule, you need to ask for what you want, not for what you think will get you what you want.
[doublepost=1486550397][/doublepost]
It has to be "fit for purpose". But "purpose" is what you were told the phone would do. If you were told it will work in the USA and it doesn't, then it isn't "fit for purpose". If you were not told it will work in the USA, then it is "fit for purpose". Like going to a shop for a printer and buying a black and white printer. If you told them you want to print colour photos then it is not "fit for purpose". If you didn't, then it's fit for purpose.
[doublepost=1486550783][/doublepost]
Absolutely true. If you were sold a phone as "works in the USA" and it doesn't, then it isn't fit for purpose. If they don't have such a phone for sale, then they shouldn't sell it. It _might_ be possible for an Apple Store in the UK to order a phone from the USA for you.

Guess what? It works in the USA.
There's tons of GSM providers and 3rd party MVMO's.
Its not that it doesnt work in the USA. It doesnt work on any CDMA carrier because it doesnt have the right hardware inside. And in Europe they dont sell any CDMA enabled iphone 7 models.
And no its not possible to order you an iphone model sold in another country.
They only allowed to sell what they legally can in that country and geographical region.
[doublepost=1486593422][/doublepost]
Many users have the Intel version and do not experience any of those "issues".

I have none of those issues whatsoever on my Intel 7 plus.
Just more stories online blown out of proportion and play into the OCD Apple customer crowd :D
[doublepost=1486593466][/doublepost]
Which is still a non issue. The GSM phones work fine in the USA, you'll just be using a US GSM network instead of Verizon. You're literally looking to change the whole course of the earth for ONE CARRIER.

Lol :D
Tell me about it...
[doublepost=1486593531][/doublepost]
It's rather simpler than that. The SIM-free version should be the one that supports the most carriers/bands/etc. (as it basically is in US).

Its not though.
And the unlocked version supports tons of GSM/LTE bands worldwide. Just not a few CDMA networks that's all.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Tell Qualcomm to charge a flat rate for their chip instead of a rate tied directly to the cost of the phone. It's the reason why Apple uses Intel for the GSM and why Samsung uses Exynos chips in every Galaxy S phone except for the US and Japan.

I really don't blame Qualcomm...if the roles were reversed, I'm sure Apple would do the same.

Both companies are greedy.

But Apple could eat the extra cost and just have Qualcomm for the sim-free iPhone. That's what they did w/the 6s/+.

Instead, we have the confusing mess that is. Well, buyer be educated.

Last edited:

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
I really don't blame Qualcomm...if the roles were reversed, I'm sure Apple would do the same.

Both companies are greedy.

But Apple could eat the extra cost and just have Qualcomm for the sim-free iPhone. That's what they did w/the 6s/+.

Instead, we have the confusing mess that is. Well, buyer be educated.
They do that in the 2 markets in the world that use CDMA. Why pay a company that charges more money for the same chip extra money when 90% of the world doesn't use it and one of the countries that does use it has the same GSM radios. But Samsung is not greedy when they do the same thing? You can't use an S7 with an Exynos chip on Verizon either for the same reason. Why do you think Apple is suing Qualcomm.

Reactions: Applejuiced

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
They do that in the 2 markets in the world that use CDMA. Why pay a company that charges more money for the same chip extra money when 90% of the world doesn't use it and one of the countries that does use it has the same GSM radios. But Samsung is not greedy when they do the same thing? You can't use an S7 with an Exynos chip on Verizon either for the same reason. Why do you think Apple is suing Qualcomm.

Qualcomm owns CDMA rights.

Apple decided they weren't going to pay Qualcomm to put their radio into the sim-free iPhone 7/7+. They decided to save the money.

I'm saying both companies are looking out for their own interests.

If you're trying to paint Apple in a more flattering light, I'm not buying. They could eat the extra cost...you don't think they make enough profit?

Last edited:

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Qualcomm owns CDMA rights.

Apple decided they weren't going to pay Qualcomm to put their radio into the sim-free iPhone 7/7+. They decided to save the money.

I'm saying both companies are looking out for their own interests.

If you're trying to paint Apple in a more flattering light, I'm not buying. They could eat the extra cost...you don't think they make enough profit?
So you think it's okay that a company that has a monopoly can price gouge just because they can? Most phones outside of the US are unlocked as it is. Verizon, Sprint and Japan are the only places that use CDMA. Why spend money when it's going to affect less then 1% of the worldwide population outside of the US and Japan.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
So you think it's okay that a company that has a monopoly can price gouge just because they can? Most phones outside of the US are unlocked as it is. Verizon, Sprint and Japan are the only places that use CDMA. Why spend money when it's going to affect less then 1% of the worldwide population outside of the US and Japan.

All I'm saying is Apple can certainly absorb the extra cost of having Qualcomm supply the radios in the sim-free phone.

They did that with the 6s/+.

With the 7/+...Apple decided not to do that anymore. Intel probably offered a sweet deal that netted Apple plenty of dollars. It's all about the money.

But Qualcomm's radio is actually engineered better than Intel. And why should Qualcomm change their pricing structure to better Apple?

Qualcomm owns CDMA...they can charge what they want.

Both companies are looking at their bottom lines. That's what this is all about.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
All I'm saying is Apple can certainly absorb the extra cost of having Qualcomm supply the radios in the sim-free phone.

They did that with the 6s/+.

With the 7/+...Apple decided not to do that anymore. Intel probably offered a sweet deal that netted Apple plenty of dollars. It's all about the money.

But Qualcomm's radio is actually engineered better than Intel. And why should Qualcomm change their pricing structure to better Apple?

Qualcomm owns CDMA...they can charge what they want.

Both companies are looking at their bottom lines. That's what this is all about.
And guess what neither Apple nor Samsung are willing to pay the outrageous fee. Those are the two biggest phone manufacturers right now. I have zero problems with my Intel phone at all. Just like millions of other users. It's ******** that a single company have that much power, but take Qualcomm's radio monopoly away and they would be gone. Apple isn't the only phone manufacturer that does this. Samsung and a while bunch of Chinese manufacturers won't sell Qualcomm phones outside of the US or just won't sell them on Verizon or Sprint.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
And guess what neither Apple nor Samsung are willing to pay the outrageous fee. Those are the two biggest phone manufacturers right now. I have zero problems with my Intel phone at all. Just like millions of other users. It's ******** that a single company have that much power, but take Qualcomm's radio monopoly away and they would be gone. Apple isn't the only phone manufacturer that does this. Samsung and a while bunch of Chinese manufacturers won't sell Qualcomm phones outside of the US or just won't sell them on Verizon or Sprint.

Cost of doing business.

Qualcomm has to do a balancing act...charge too much and they risk Apple, Samsung, etc dropping support for CDMA. Charge too little and the phone makers are pocketing the profit and they're making less.

So who is right and who is wrong?

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Cost of doing business.

Qualcomm has to do a balancing act...charge too much and they risk Apple, Samsung, etc dropping support for CDMA. Charge too little and the phone makers are pocketing the profit and they're making less.

So who is right and who is wrong?
Qualcomm has already lost business from both Apple and Samsung. Samsung will not use a Qualcomm radio on a device unless it's specific to Japan, Sprint or Verizon. Apple will not sell a Qualcomm radio in a phone unless there is a CDMA carrier. Qualcomm owns a technology that they have a monopoly on. If they want to get Apples business back then guess what they will have to change their pricing scale. It's in their court. There is no reason for Apple or Samsung to use a radio in markets that do not use the radio for anything.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Qualcomm has already lost business from both Apple and Samsung. Samsung will not use a Qualcomm radio on a device unless it's specific to Japan, Sprint or Verizon. Apple will not sell a Qualcomm radio in a phone unless there is a CDMA carrier. Qualcomm owns a technology they do not make a

Money to be made all around.

If Apple, Samsung, etc were to stop supporting CDMA, someone else would step up.

Stop trying to paint Qualcomm entirely in black. Things are rarely so black and white.

Superrjamz54

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2015
Money to be made all around.

If Apple, Samsung, etc were to stop supporting CDMA, someone else would step up.

Stop trying to paint Qualcomm entirely in black. Things are rarely so black and white.
They won't stop supporting it. They just won't use it when they dont have to. And there is no reason at all to pay Qualcomm money for a radio that will not be used in most of the World. It's not Apple or Samsung who is being hurt by Qualcomms money gouging. It's Qualcomm itself who is. Besides which, there are multiple carriers in the US who don't use CDMA either. Why you think any company is justified gouging anything just because they have a monopoly on it is beyond me.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
Hi All,

I am writing here as I believe I am out of options with the totally unhelpful apple support I have received so far.

So I purchased an iPhone 7 Sim free (unlocked) from an Apple UK store in December so I can use it anywhere I go as i travel to different countries, often the USA. Before purchasing the iPhone 7 I twice asked staff whether i am able to use the phone on any network in the USA, and was told that this is why you buy an unlocked iPhone....

You were told incorrect information by Apple. You based your purchase decision on this incorrect information.

Call Apple customer service and keep escalating the issue until they agree to exchange your phone for the correct version.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
They won't stop supporting it. They just won't use it when they dont have to. And there is no reason at all to pay Qualcomm money for a radio that will not be used in most of the World. It's not Apple or Samsung who is being hurt by Qualcomms money gouging. It's Qualcomm itself who is. Besides which, there are multiple carriers in the US who don't use CDMA either. Why you think any company is justified gouging anything just because they have a monopoly on it is beyond me.

I'm not defending anyone.

But Qualcomm should charge less? On what grounds?

Is Apple or Samsung going to pass the savings to the consumer? Don't think so.

Everyone is out for themselves. What else is new?

This is getting tiresome...Apple is making money. Qualcomm is making money. Neither side wants to make concessions.

The end.

Last edited:

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
What if the op had said they were taking the phone to Japan or China? They could have gotten halfway across the world with a phone that wouldn't work at all in that country based on what the Apple Store told them. I think the Apple Store employees need to be trained on this, and the op has a case for a refund.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
What if the op had said they were taking the phone to Japan or China? They could have gotten halfway across the world with a phone that wouldn't work at all in that country based on what the Apple Store told them. I think the Apple Store employees need to be trained on this, and the op has a case for a refund.

Japan is a CDMA country.

I think the Apple store should exchange the models, sure. Apple store employees are humans. They probably don't sell many phones that are meant to be used internationally at the store the OP went to.

As for the issue with Apple, this isn't new. Remember the uproar over the Samsung VS TSMC fiasco? Yeah, I wish they'd just make all the devices with the same components. I wish they'd given the regular 7 the same camera and RAM as the 7+. Unfortunately Apple will do what they will to maximize profits. The jet black coming in only 128GB and 256GB being more examples of them doing this.

They will continue to do this as long as they get our approval via our wallets.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I didnt expect to have to hunt internet forums to check whether apple is selling a more or less able product, which is why it is sneaky.
How is it "sneaky" when they list the precise specifications on their website? You don't need to hunt on forums.

It's regrettable however that the particular store clerk you spoke to was poorly trained on there being two separate models with slightly different capabilities though. You should return the phone ASAP to the store and tell them you were sold the wrong device; they should be able to help if Apple has any sense of customer service. (Sadly, this has always been hit-and-miss with the company.)

cvs

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2011
Well, this distinction between "model numbers" regarding the covered networks was not there for the previous models. The main distributor here in Greece was persistent that all models work with all networks "just like the previous years' iphones". To that, I replied that they should not say that to prospective customers and I ordered my brand new 7plus stating that I only want the A1661 model since I will be using for long periods of time in the USA this year (network of choice yet to be decided).

Guess what, I received the A1784. Called them up, they said it is the same as A1661 and I should not believe any "forum". After an initial freeze (I could not believe what I was hearing), I sent them the Apple webpage link that shows the differences and the networks covered and asked them politely to make sure they say the truth to the customers, like me, that specifically required the model that works with all networks. Guess what again, they called back and told me the same sentence, word for word. They never bothered to check the web page, and they subscribed my email to their newsletter.

Product returned today, got my money back, will buy from the USA when I visit.
Oh, and filtered their emails straight to junk.

Things to take home: not all importers or stores know that the latest model has two distinctively different versions or will not properly inform the customer. Thanks to the OP and the rest of the forum members I was informed, though :)

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Well, this distinction between "model numbers" regarding the covered networks was not there for the previous models. The main distributor here in Greece was persistent that all models work with all networks "just like the previous years' iphones". To that, I replied that they should not say that to prospective customers and I ordered my brand new 7plus stating that I only want the A1661 model since I will be using for long periods of time in the USA this year (network of choice yet to be decided).

Guess what, I received the A1784. Called them up, they said it is the same as A1661 and I should not believe any "forum". After an initial freeze (I could not believe what I was hearing), I sent them the Apple webpage link that shows the differences and the networks covered and asked them politely to make sure they say the truth to the customers, like me, that specifically required the model that works with all networks. Guess what again, they called back and told me the same sentence, word for word. They never bothered to check the web page, and they subscribed my email to their newsletter.

Product returned today, got my money back, will buy from the USA when I visit.
Oh, and filtered their emails straight to junk.

Things to take home: not all importers or stores know that the latest model has two distinctively different versions or will not properly inform the customer. Thanks to the OP and the rest of the forum members I was informed, though :)

Well, truth be told, the reason they probably were not listening to you was because they likely weren't able to get the model you wanted, and couldn't sell it to you. I don't think the A1661 is sold in a lot of places in Europe. But true they should have admitted they couldn't get the model you wanted, or asked if you would be happy using T-Mobile or AT&T in the states.

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
My two cents here is this: Yes it sucks that the OP asked the UK Apple Store employee if it would work on Verizon and they said yes when it doesn't. But: A) Why would someone expect an employee to understand a different country's cellular technologies? and B) Why would one expect Apple to license CDMA in tens of millions of phones when it will never be used?

Jetro

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2016
but with cars you know there are different models with iphone 7 the models are 'iphone 7 and iphone 7 plus'..

you dont buy a ferrari and run the risk of having a ford focus engine inside it...

The one with the Ford Focus engine gets better gas mileage though :p

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
My two cents here is this: Yes it sucks that the OP asked the UK Apple Store employee if it would work on Verizon and they said yes when it doesn't. But: A) Why would someone expect an employee to understand a different country's cellular technologies? and B) Why would one expect Apple to license CDMA in tens of millions of phones when it will never be used?
For someone that sells something they should know the details that would apply to it, and if they don't or even aren't sure then they should say so and perhaps try to find that information or refer the customer to someone that can provide better assistance in that matter.

Reactions: seadragon

theshoehorn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2010
For someone that sells something they should know the details that would apply to it, and if they don't or even aren't sure then they should say so and perhaps try to find that information or refer the customer to someone that can provide better assistance in that matter.
I guess that's where I think differently... I can't imagine going to a Apple store here in the USA and expect them to know if the iPhone I'm buying will work on Claro in Brazil for example...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I guess that's where I think differently... I can't imagine going to a Apple store here in the USA and expect them to know if the iPhone I'm buying will work on Claro in Brazil for example...
And if they don't know, that's perhaps not great, but OK, but they should say so and either try to find out or refer to someone else who might be able to help. They shouldn't just say it'll be fine (without actually knowing that or just going on some assumption) and that's it, right?

akidd

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
Tunbridge Wells, UK
Hi All,

I am writing here as I believe I am out of options with the totally unhelpful apple support I have received so far.

So I purchased an iPhone 7 Sim free (unlocked) from an Apple UK store in December so I can use it anywhere I go as i travel to different countries, often the USA. Before purchasing the iPhone 7 I twice asked staff whether i am able to use the phone on any network in the USA, and was told that this is why you buy an unlocked iPhone....

However to my dismay, I have since discovered that Apple in fact sneakily sells two versions of the iPhone, one which works with every network (qualcomm), and another (intel) which to put it simply is unable to do so. At no point does apple state is has two tiers of Iphone 7 on its website or in stores.

After discovering more information about this extremely unfair issue, I have discovered that the superior Qualcomm based iPhone is in fact also faster and has better signal in general, and is a much more reliable and faster product, creating a two tier based production of which the consumer has no idea when purchasing.

Read more here:

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcom....google.com/&referrer=https://www.google.com/

http://fortune.com/2016/10/20/apple-iphone-7-qualcomm-intel/

Since arriving in the USA, I now have a nearly $800 dollar paper weight for a phone as I have a contract on a Verizon network which CDMA based and cannot work on the inferior iPhone. This issue will affect many carriers in other countries too from which have read and the Apple staff have offered me no solution other than buy the other better iPhone again.

So as a warning to any potential Iphone buyers out there who whish to have a phone which able to work as advertised, please make sure you only buy in select places in the USA or you will be left out of pocket and out of help!

Does any one out there has any advice on what to do next? Apple are uninterested in resolving the issue..
The two versions were common knowledge on MR. If Apple Store sold you the wrong thing complain to UK and then your local (county council) trading standards team.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.