Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I just replaced my G4 Powerbook with a Macbook Pro, and went with the 160GB drive. My Powerbook had a 60GB drive, and I kept having to juggle stuff in order to keep some open space on the disk. When you figure that a single non-HD iMovie project can tie up 13-15GB, it's not hard to see where the room goes. Also I use my laptop for work - I'm a webmaster and our site is very large, ~ 10 GB or so. Dreamweaver likes to keep a local copy of everything. With the Powerbook I had to put the "local" copy on a network drive, which slowed things way down. Now that I have the MBP, I can keep the local copy on my actual disk again without impacting space too badly.

Additionally you have to also consider that photography is my hobby, and Nikon D70 raw files run roughly 10MB each. That adds up quickly even with a smallish library (compared to some).

My music is only about 7GB total, which was a consideration but isn't huge in and of itself (and it isn't growing rapidly either).

BengalDuck

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2006
100 GB internal HD... only 30 GB left, and a 120 GB external with just 6 GB left.

My music collection grows about 1 GB a week. I rip my movies to my hard drives for my ipod. i download movies, games, software, etc. I take nice pictures. I bought a MicroTV so now I'll record shows on my hard drive. I might even learn to edit them

All of that = my new 500 GB HD I ordered two days ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.