Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Ok, I have major problems with Mail. After upgrading to Tiger, it hangs every time it is opened, and duplicate copies of mail already downloaded are in the inbox, another copy for every time I open it. At first it would eventually let me use it after the 2nd or 3rd time :eek: but now it is completely unusable. I already deleted preferences, and it worked up to the point where it had to check my mail. It then hung up the same way, and has been unusable since.

I'm going to have to switch for now, but I love Mail and hate to see this problem drive me away from it. Any ideas?

jW

thumb

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
.mac?

I had the same problem with my Mail 2.0, it kept duplicating my messages until I had over 50000 in Inbox, and mail just pinballed away.

I don't have a real fix, but when i deleted the .mac mail account from my accounts, it went back to normal. I do not know why or if this would help you, but it is working for me for now.

Cheers

maxterpiece

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2003
i had all sorts of performance and crash issues with mail until i did a clean install. after that it worked fine.

Mal

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Mail is up and running at the moment for me, but only because there was no more mail for it to download it seems. I'm going to send myself a test email and see what happens. Just for reference, I did an Erase and Install, then copied my preferences back over and reimported my mail. I have since deleted my preferences and set up my accounts new, and the problem still persisted.

jW

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
You might want to check your preferences, specifically what Mail is set to do with messages on the server. Go into your Preferences > Accounts >, and then the first tab (I think; I'm at work on a PC), you should see something about leaving messages on the server. Change it to Remove Immediately and try hitting the remove now button and see if this fixes your problem. Try this for each account you're having a problem with.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.