Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Hey, Im writing a research paper and I'm having trouble meeting the requirment of pages. My teacher said we needed to use a Serif font, like "Times or Times New Roman", no "courier new". Any Serif fonts that are bigger than Times? Thanks.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Century Schoolbook is fairly generic and large.

There's also an Apple font called New York that looks like a horribly bloated Times, but with that one it will really look like you're padding.

Agent Smith

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2004
Toronto, ON
You can also fiddle with the margins. Nothing hugely noticeable mind you, but enough to get the job done. Try adjusting them by .1 or .2 inches smaller. That might do the trick. Any more, and it's very easy to spot.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
Agent Smith said:
You can also fiddle with the margins. Nothing hugely noticeable mind you, but enough to get the job done. Try adjusting them by .1 or .2 inches smaller. That might do the trick. Any more, and it's very easy to spot.

My teacher said he's going to use a ruler and make sure each margin is exactly 1". :mad:

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
Georgia is definitely bigger than Times New Roman. It's a great looking font too! Also, if you're double-spacing between lines (MLA format), you could increase the spacing a little bit more and use up some more paper real estate!

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Seriously, teachers know when your trying to "cut corners." I would stick with Times and just throw it a few more sentences (that's all that any font will add).

Greencardman

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Madison, WI
hehe, you can also change the character spacing in Word, which is very hard to spot if you do it right. Although your teacher will probably notice something is wrong, they just won't be able to put their finger on it. Obviously, too much and you'll get caught. Make sure to print on thick paper so they can't compare it to the class nerd whose paper will be regular.
Not that I've had any experience mind you....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.