Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

graywaggle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2002
Has anyone heard/read/otherwise-surmised if Apple plans on issuing an Imac with a bigger flat screen, anytime soon?

It seems like an obvious next step, but when I've asked at tha Apple stores, I get a very decisive "we haven't heard anything" (surprise, surprise).

I love the new imac design, but could really get psyched about a 17" flat screen versus the smaller screen it sports right now.

Thanks-
Graywaggle

menoinjun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2001
I think that we all would agree that you'd better grab a beer and some food for the long wait. Considering Apple just RAISED the prices because of rising LCD costs, and the availability of the LCDs, AND the newness of the iMac, I don't forsee this happening until maybe the next major revision...2-3 years from now. Better get comfortable.

-Pete

coeus

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2002
albany, western australia
Built on Demand

I believe you could get them if you ask.

There are a few problems.

Weight - could the arm support that much weight?
Size - does that size restrict it being able to be manipulated? like rotating it and stuff.

otherwise just email and ask.
theres nothing wrong with asking a question if its lagit.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
I think the offer should be there if people wanted to have the 17", I can't forsee there been much of a problem adding a 17" to the range interms of engineering it, a 17" LCD is not alot more in weight than a 15" LCD, and like everything in this life, it's nice to have the options!!!

Maybe we might see this option within 12 months..... who knows.....

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by iGAV
I can't forsee there been much of a problem adding a 17" to the range interms of engineering it, a 17" LCD is not alot more in weight than a 15" LCD

From an engineering standpoint that might not be entirely correct. The difference in weight might be a small percent (10%-30%) when comparing them side by side on a scale, but its more a matter of torque, which multiplies the force considerably.

The LCD is at the end of an arm, the bolts holding it inplace at the base would see a great increase in force when it is fully extended.

Not that Apple couldn't redesign a better system, or for that matter had the forethought to plan on adding larger screens and therefore overengineered the arm.

allday

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2000
About the "rumor" of the 17" iMacs, that runor has been floating around since before the iMac DV. ptrauber is right, with the trouble in getting iMacs into mass production and the price of LCD's skyrocketing, there is no way Apple could do this. The arm could hold the weight, there's no doubt about that, since the arm is designed as the handle on the original iMac was to be able to carry the computer around. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a 17" iMac too, but it's not in the cards until the prices of LCDs come way down. Consider the $400 difference between the Studio Display 15" vs. 17" or the $300 difference between the combo drive iBook vs. the 14" iBook.
Let's go LCD manufacturers and R&D centers like Kent State, make us a good and CHEAP LCD.

strider42

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2002
Originally posted by allday
About the "rumor" of the 17" iMacs, that runor has been floating around since before the iMac DV. [

This is totally true, the rumor has been around forever. It shuld be poitned out that in some ways, the rumor has already become a reality. compared to a CRT, the LCD gives you an equivelent viewable area of a 17" screen. so for those who wanted a 17" CRT, you've basically got that amount of space available to you now.

as for a 17" LCD, whcih would be like having a 19" CRT or thereabouts, it ain't gonna happen for a while. To keep a distance between the pro and consumer lines, i don't think it will happen until apple upgrades all of its pro LCD's to a larger size, and LCD prices come down (I mean, come on, they just raised prices, in part because of LCD costs for the 15 incher)

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
I forget who posted this, but if you just attach a 17" in place of the 15" you will not be able to increase the resolution of the screen to anything above 1024x768.

The cost factor surrounding the LCD monitors will not assist Apple if they were to assemble a 17" LCD iMac. Besides, some would want and need something with a higher resolution. That will keep the price of 17" monitors right around 800 to 1000 dollars. And I feel that it would be rather not intelligent for Apple to spend most of the machine's money on the monitor, considering that the machine will not cost $2000.

As for the screen resolution, I think that when Apple revises the iMac, OS X 10.2 will support a better screen resolution. 10.2 should be available by then.

In the time it takes to read this message, an Apple computer will already have performed 15 billion float-point operations more than a consumer PC.

kansaigaijin

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2002
the great ether
bigger iMac screens

the technical problem or question is at what point the bigger screen makes the whole thing too tippy (unstable). a 17"LCD should be okay.

But don't hold your breath, Apple won't make an upgrade like that until sales peak on the current configuation, so as long as they are selling them like hotcakes, why change? You got to keep that in reserve to milk those addicts.

oldMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
King Cobra on crack?

King Cobra wrote:

>I forget who posted this, but if you just attach a 17" in place of the 15" you >will not be able to increase the resolution of the screen to anything above
>1024x768.
>As for the screen resolution, I think that when Apple revises the iMac, OS X >10.2 will support a better screen resolution. 10.2 should be available by

Where are you getting this info? There is nothing in software that would affect the workable resolutions for an LCD monitor. LCD monitors typically have one "native" resolution where they look best and support other resolutions where they generally look crappy.

Nothing in OS 10.2 will change the native LCD resolution of the iMac's monitor.

As far as an end-user attaching a 17" monitor to the 15" iMac, there would be a number of technical hurdles, and it might look like hell, but it's probably doable. It's also probably possible to make it run at a higher resolution. Apple uses indications that come from the monitor cable as to what resolutions it supports. I can only assume that this tradition continues with the LCDs and I can't believe that Apple would change this specifically for the iMac. (aka, it's just a regular graphics chipset in there. I'm sure it's not limited to 1024x768).

BeerDrinker29

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by cb911
i just saw on spymac that there will be a 17" iMac by MWNY. remember i saw this on spymac.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: That is the same rumor MacRumors is reporting on; both spymac and macrumors are simply linking to it.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
They'll probably come out with a 17" iMac if and when current sales take a huge dip or the prices take a huge dip or maybe even both. But that won't be for a while considering they can't even supply enough at the current level of demand.

-Dreg-

mcrain

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2002
Illinois
Originally posted by mmmdreg
But that won't be for a while considering they can't even supply enough at the current level of demand.
Not that I believe the rumor at all, but if 17" LCD's are more available than the 15" models, then it might make sence to make a high end iMac that they could build and ship rather than having to wait on the 15" LCD.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
Tomorrow I'll start a thread that I heard a 22" flat-panel iMac is being released by the end of the year:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.