Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
NJ
Sorry if this has been posted before - I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

Is there anything going around about an iPod touch being released with bigger capacities? I want to get one, but I have more than 16GB of music so I'm waiting for a model with more space.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
That is not going to happen for a long time. Look at how much it costs to get a much bigger in physical size 64GB solid state drive in the MacBook Air. I doubt we are going to get 32GBs in an iPod until late 2009.

peeaanuut

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2007
Southern California
Sorry if this has been posted before - I tried searching but couldn't find anything.

Is there anything going around about an iPod touch being released with bigger capacities? I want to get one, but I have more than 16GB of music so I'm waiting for a model with more space.

Playlist management goes a long way in helping use an iPod with smaller capacity. I have over 30000 tracks but get by on a 30gb 5g and an 8gb iPhone.

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
NJ
Most of the people around here have more than 16 GB of music. That doesn't mean the current models are useless for you if you know how to set up playlists.

Yeah, I know you're right, I was just hoping it wouldn't have to come to that :)

And for now, my 80GB classic is definitely more than sufficient for my needs.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Maybe something custom. I recall seeing an 8gb 1G nano on ebay a while back. It was pretty expensive though.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
That is not going to happen for a long time. Look at how much it costs to get a much bigger in physical size 64GB solid state drive in the MacBook Air. I doubt we are going to get 32GBs in an iPod until late 2009.

Holy crap, people.
Sandisk 32 GB flash player

Late 2009?? Sandisk has it coming out in February. Check this out, too:

The device handles MPEG4, WMV, and H.264 video along with MP3 and WMA audio, and it promises 35 hours of battery life when listening to music :eek:

micha10589

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
Berlin, Germany
if they were to upgrade this year it would be as usual for the ipod related event in September. I myself am hoping that they give the Touch a bump. 8Gb is too small for me (with movies), 16Gb would be ok but for me not at the current price point. Since Apple has advantageous buying contracts for flash storage there is a rather good chance it might come in 32 Gb, especially since it is a video centric device.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
Holy crap, people.

The device handles MPEG4, WMV, and H.264 video along with MP3 and WMA audio, and it promises 35 hours of battery life when listening to music :eek:

Remember that we are talking about Apple here. Apple doesn't subsidize its prices like every other Media Player maker. I think we will get a 24GB iPod touch this year because that iPod (the high end model) makes use of 2 flash chips (8+8=16 in the current model).

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
Remember that we are talking about Apple here. Apple doesn't subsidize its prices like every other Media Player maker. I think we will get a 24GB iPod touch this year because that iPod (the high end model) makes use of 2 flash chips (8+8=16 in the current model).

And one of the reasons they always state for not "subsidizing" their prices is that Apple iPods/iPhones/Macs are "top of the line" and/or "state of the art". Can't be "top of the line" when your competitors have devices with more storage than you. Even if they do use 24 GB as a stopgap, I still can't picture a 32 GB coming out in late 2009 like you said.

You can't be nearly 2 years behind the competition in the tech industry. 2 years ago was when we made the switch to intel, so almost 2 years ago we were using PPC. 2 years is an eternity. My point is you're way, way off. 32GB by late 2008, at the very latest.

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
And one of the reasons they always state for not "subsidizing" their prices is that Apple iPods/iPhones/Macs are "top of the line" and/or "state of the art". Can't be "top of the line" when your competitors have devices with more storage than you. Even if they do use 24 GB as a stopgap, I still can't picture a 32 GB coming out in late 2009 like you said.

You can't be nearly 2 years behind the competition in the tech industry. 2 years ago was when we made the switch to intel, so almost 2 years ago we were using PPC. 2 years is an eternity. My point is you're way, way off. 32GB by late 2008, at the very latest.

That's going to be one expensive iPod. Flash prices are very high right now and as far as I know the prices are not coming down as fast as it used to. Why do you think that Apple chose to put two 8GB flash chips in the iPod touch instead of on 16GB chip? It cost to much, that is why we have seen no 16GB iPhone at $399. I would bet that SanDisk player has more than one flash chip in it.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
Holy crap, people.

Don't forget Creative have had a 32gb player for a little over a month 16gb + 16gb chips and an SD expansion. And if Apple waits till late 2008 we maybe at 48gb and 64gb chips. Then again at that point we may see Apple bring out a 48gb device.

bigbadnewill

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I know that some companies may be bringing more capacity flash players out, but don't forget apple just seems to always go at its own pace. Their iPod market share is huge, and a lot of people will stay with apple regardless!

I admit some will move, but i bet most will stay and wait until bigger flash players brcome available from Apple.

Rocksaurus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2003
California
Do you know how much that player costs? IDK.

If you had read the link I provided above you'd know their 32GB flash player costs $349. Something tells me we will see 32GB before late 2009. That's the only point I'm trying to make and I'm shocked you don't agree. The iPod Touch goes for $399...

iDAG

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2007
Athens, Ohio
If you had read the link I provided above you'd know their 32GB flash player costs $349. Something tells me we will see 32GB before late 2009. That's the only point I'm trying to make and I'm shocked you don't agree. The iPod Touch goes for $399...

I meant how much the Creative player costs, not the SanDisk...

pismodude2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
MacWorld
Yeah, I know you're right, I was just hoping it wouldn't have to come to that :)

And for now, my 80GB classic is definitely more than sufficient for my needs.

I would advise you to use your Classic for listening to your music and just put a couple hours of your favorite music on your Touch. Since both the Touch and 80GB Classic can play the same amount of video, take advantage of your wide-screen iPod!:cool::apple::cool:

codalo

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2008
bigger = better??

Like you I wanted a Touch but it wasn't big enough, then my 80G got busted (ok so I dropped it). I decided to go with the 16G touch, I love it, it doesn't hold all my music but I found that by managing my playlists and not keeping everything on my pod, but keeping them on my laptop I can have all my music with me and move over just what I want to listen to at the time usually 8-10G and a movie or 2.

curiosa863

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2006
I went through this giant cycle in my decision when the new ipods came out.
I wanted the touch, but thought that if I could deal with that small amount of storage, I would just get an iPhone. At the price for an iPhone though, I could have a 160 gig classic.

I went classic, and am perfectly satisfied.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.