Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
Despite my earlier "can't get excited about this" post, I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised. I set this downloading before going to work, so won't get to play for another 12 hours. Can anyone post a mini review?

cyclone84

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
I played through the demo last night. It took about 20 minutes. I don't think it was the entire first level, but you start at the beginning of the game. The atmosphere is incredible and the water effects are freaking great. You get the opportunity to fight a few enemies and they don't put up much of a fight. You get a chance to hack some bots to fight for you...very cool. Basically, it leaves you wanting more...should make for a long week.

There's a nice preview at the end of the demo, too.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I played through the demo last night. It took about 20 minutes. I don't think it was the entire first level, but you start at the beginning of the game. The atmosphere is incredible and the water effects are freaking great. You get the opportunity to fight a few enemies and they don't put up much of a fight. You get a chance to hack some bots to fight for you...very cool. Basically, it leaves you wanting more...should make for a long week.

There's a nice preview at the end of the demo, too.

Was the gameplay good? I should probably download this when I get home from work.

Anorak

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
Definitely downloading this after work.

I'm looking forward to this game more than any other game on the 360 (yes, even more than Halo 3).

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Some more mini reviews would be great :>

Edit: Supposedly the demo parts are specifically made for the demo, or at least it's not related to the full game, so no need to worry about spoilers ;>

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
The begining scene is so cool. The water effects are great except for certain areas but I think that will be fixed.

I enjoyed the demo although it took 5 hours to download. The plasmids are cool. This game is a must buy.

Bless

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I'm :( at no multiplayer though in this one.
All those yummy powerups and special attacks/powers just scream for multiplayer.

Until talking to a buddy of mine last night, I didn't know this was a single-player only affair.

Nevertheless...I will be going to Gamestop this Friday to put my money down to reserve my LE copy. ;) (as well as reserve Eternal Sonata to get a free faceplate of my choosing, and judging by the demo it'll probably be the Allegro one)

I let my 360 download the demo last night while I was sleeping (while others were clogging up the lines) :)
I'll post my thoughts later after I play it. ;)

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
The demo is really good. Graphics look amazing, especially the water effects. The intro was well done. It's not your typical first person shooter at all. You can do much more than just run n' gun.

Overall, I'd say this is a definite must buy.

steamboat26

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2006
Arlington VA
I'm downloading it now, good thing i have fios, this is a big one :D

EDIT: Just finished playing it, the water effects are amazing! I am definitely buying this one.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Just finished playing it :D

Wow, I'm very impressed! Glad I pre-ordered it.

Graphics are nice, particularly the enemies, water, effects and yours hands/guns but the environments look a little plain... kinda hard to describe. Still though, very impressive. The loading is a bit of a bummer (albeit only a few times) since I love having seemless play. Creepy as hell too :p

I love the 50/60's vids and stuff, reminds me of Fallout.

G5Unit

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2005
I'm calling the cops
All I have to say is wow.

Pros:
Lighting, just gorgeous
Sound, I was just playing with crappy headphones and my new 5.1 system comes in a few days but that was still amazing!
Creepiness, need I say more?

Meh:
Water was OK, some places were been there seen that, while other places were amazing(plane scene at the start was not so amazing, while when part of the plane crashes into the catwalk towards the middle, amazing!)
Textures, great in some places, not so good in others, (look at the machine gun, ugh!)
Shadows, again good in some places bad in others(bad with lady and stroller, good at the end when the columns cast a shadow from the video)

Cons:
The particle effects are very week(such as fire and water splashes(look at the start when the plane is sinking)

irishgrizzly

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2006
MHO;

PROS
Great artwork
Fantastically atmospheric – they really did there research.
music/sounds – Lovely use of
Brilliant physics – the movement of object and the reactions of surfaces are good

CONS
Repetitive combat – the enemies didn't demonstrate much tactics, just bail straight at you. I know that they're "crazy" but every encounter felt the same.
uninspiring weapons – only used the handgun and machine gun, both felt weak and not fun to use. The plasmids were meh.

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
I am at the part with the creepy girl. I am finding it difficult to go on.... :(

I got half way through, and had to stop to wait for daylight to play it again, haha. These things really get to me.

The creepiness might eb a deal breaker for me, but the game was fun as hell.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
^Wuss:D...I'm joking.

I was up this morning playing it at 4am...the game is that good. I think it has its jump out at you moments but what really makes me on edge is the atmosphere the game provides....that 40's-50's environment with the scratchy voice types...me likes.

The first person combat is good....only one game I can think of that match the combat in this game is the chronicles of riddick.

Its scary but not silent hill/forbidden siren scary.

Bless

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
I've been gone on vacation, so I finally got to try the demo last night. The presentation is top-notch, everything flows together perfectly. Water looks great and every room has a different look, seems like nothing is repeated. While the lighting is great for environmental objects and enemies, there is no shadow created by the users character. I went up to every bright light and turned around and I never cast a shadow. That was the only detail I think they over looked or decided to neglect.

zero2dash

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2006
Fenton, MO
I finally played Bioshock last night and couldn't believe how incredible the experience was; its very rare that you find a game with that sort of a world and that sort of an environment put together so perfectly...but even more rare that it actually *looks* phenominal. The lighting and shadows, music, textures, sound...yep, all top notch. If this game doesn't win at least as many awards as Gears, there's something really wrong with the world and the industry.

I still can't help but feel a little slighted at a lack of multiplayer, but I certainly hope that at some point down the road, an expansion pack or a patch of some sorts is released that adds multiplayer...whether co-op or deathmatch/team deathmatch, or even some sort of CTF but instead of a flag it's a "little sister" that you capture and the other team is all Big Daddy's trying to get her back...I hope they do *something*. Then again though, I loved Black, and felt the same way about Black when it came out (sans multiplayer) and I ended up enjoying it a lot nonetheless, so...meh. 'I hope but it's not a deal breaker' is what I'm trying to say.

Bioshock is definitely a must own. Or else Mr. Bubbles will come and get you. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.