'BioShock' for iOS Now Available Worldwide

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 27, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following hints of a release earlier this summer, the iOS version of 2K Games' original first person shooter BioShock is now available in the App Store. Rumored since 2008, BioShock on iOS is a port of the full, original game first released in 2007.

Set in 1960, BioShock asks players to take on the role of Jack, a plane crash survivor who finds his way into the defunct underwater city of Rapture. Jack has to fight his way out of the city, battling Big Daddies and other enemies while using an array of heavy weaponry and taking advantage of genetics-altering plasmids that grant him super powers. Over the course of the game, players also discover the rich history behind the creation of Rapture and its eventual fall.

BioShock is limited to newer iOS devices, including the iPad Air, Retina iPad mini, fourth-generation iPad, and the iPhone 5/5c/5s.

BioShock can be downloaded from the App Store for $14.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'BioShock' for iOS Now Available Worldwide

2. macrumors 6502

AkuskaUK

Interesting! Now Pc games can be played on iOS, i wonder what is next?

3. macrumors regular

regkilla

Loved this game on the Xbox 360.

4. macrumors 6502a

I wonder if we'll see an A7-based iPod Touch this year? The lack of rumours or leaks makes it seem unlikely. That would mean this Bioshock release or really lack of release marks the beginning of the end of iPod Touch gaming which used to be so heavily promoted by Apple.

5. macrumors 6502a

Third generation iPad owner and this is the first time I've personally seen an incompatible app. It begins!!

6. macrumors 6502

Meh. Complicated controls just don't work on iPad.

7. macrumors 6502

No support for Mfi game controllers like the Logitech Powershell?

8. macrumors newbie

Is there no controller support? If not, that's sad, and really sad for Apple because they were too stupid to understand that they needed to make their own controller. It wasn't hard to see that third party controllers weren't going to go anywhere. I personally own the Moga one because I won it in a contest, and it is laughably bad, and ridiculously cheaply made, with poor materials. There are also virtually no apps that support them because developers know that no one has them. Only Apple could sell one that a lot of people would buy.

I wish Apple would surprise everyone with a controller of their own designed for the iPhone 6 which could be used for either size.

9. Editor

jclo

Staff Member

It has controller support.

10. macrumors regular

I was holding on to my old 30pin devices for so long! Looks like its time for an upgrade.

11. macrumors 6502

Yes, the article states it has Bluetooth controller support but I'm asking about Mfi controllers.

12. macrumors 6502

overhyped and ultrabrutal crap.

13. macrumors 68000

Aluminum213

Touchscreen controls with this game?

Hahahahaha

14. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

Its sucks I cant play it on any of my devices

15. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

Yeah, saw that on AppShopper just now. It made me laugh. Only one of my devices can play it, and it's the one that I wouldn't play something like this on.

But I get it. I've had lag issues on some games where it needed an update for it to work better on my A5 devices. For a game that will have continuous updates for the next year, I think they chose the best option.

16. macrumors 6502

The game runs in pretty low resolution on my 5s. Just so people are aware; definitely NOT retina quality.

17. macrumors 601

Icaras

MFi controller support. Check!

But does it support icloud?

18. macrumors 6502

mejsric

Next would be continuity. From iOS to Mac then Mac to iOS.

Me playing BioShock on iMac
    Mom: Cmon honey we will be late.
    Me: "Transfer the game to iPad" Fine!

19. macrumors 601

Icaras

I've been pushing for iCloud support across both Mac and iOS for years but for some reason, developers don't want to do it. I would absolutely love to see cross platform iCloud embraced one day.

20. TechZeke, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014

macrumors 65816

Which is why I plan to rid my iPad 3 this year and shoot for an iPad mini retina 2. Or, if a 5.5" iPhone 6 does exist, I'm throwing all my money into an unlocked 32GB 5.5" iPhone 6 and calling it day.(iPad is by far my least used device) I may still do that even with the 4.7".

The warning signs of the iPad 3's demise were when Apple decided to refresh it with the iPad 4 so quickly.

21. NameUndecided, Aug 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014

macrumors 6502a

Yeah it really doesn't bother me all that much. It's my least used device as well and I don't play many games, let alone graphics intensive stuffs.

But for a game I don't really care about buying at the moment, it's out of reach and suddenly there's this sickening tinge of "butIwantitthough…".

22. macrumors 6502a

Are you serious? Many games don't run or have problems running on iPad 3, essentially performance are like iPad2 but with retina (you need more power to drive a display like that).

23. macrumors 603

Carlanga

Kids have moved to iPads and iPads mini

----------

It is 2 gens behind already and in a few days it's going to be 3 gens behind ...

24. bushido, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014

macrumors 604

bushido

i had the same thought ... oh well i dont like to play these type of games on a iDevice anyway. im more like a quick game like QuizUp kind of person. also too expensive for an app

always wonder how these type of games are allowed to be sold on the german app store. i mean the xbox counterpart is rated 18+ over here and you have to show your ID when you buy it at the store and even have to verify with an ID if you would order it on amazon. yet it can be downloaded on the itunes store without any verification

25. macrumors 65816

MacBH928

Why would they release a 5 year old game in degraded graphics?

I am no expert, but last I heard was that porting a game takes serious effort. The kind of players who want to play Bioshock probably had it at least for 3 years by now.

I'll never understand how publishers decide what games to release