Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I don't think birds need to be any bigger....if you've ever seen a large eagle in person you'll know what I mean, they are pretty big animals.

All the same, predatory birds would probably have preyed primarily on smaller individuals.

The taung child is a famous and importand paleoanthropological specimen, and if true this finding will make it all the more important.

My favorite example of animal predation on hominids is the unfortunate individual whose cranium was perforated by a sabre-toothed cat.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Once, I had a bird fly AT MY HEAD.
I know I have a big head, but.. AHH! I thought I was going to die.

These hunting birds are still alive and well.
You can't run because they can fly... it's scary.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Makes sense, as the really young are the most vulnerable to predators and Large Birds. Saw a film in Anthropology class of some primates yelling/protecting their young when a large predatory bird came onto the scene.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
katie ta achoo said:

That reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine's ex told her she had a big head, and later in the program a bird flew into her head, seemingly confirming the insult. :D

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Berger concluded man's ancestors had to survive not just being hunted from the ground, but from the air. Such discoveries are "key to understanding why we humans today view the world the way we do," he said.
That explains why I am constantly ducking when I walk around outside.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Sdashiki said:
thats a seinfeld episode.

No.. this actually happened to me.
It was a blue jay and it was swooping under a walkway for reasons unknown.

I remember I was young at the time.. probably 6 or 7, but it's still a really vivid memory. I remember that I cried for an hour and had to get sent home from school.

I still don't like birds.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
whooleytoo said:
A bat flew into my head once
I had a golf club fly into my head once, but I imagine a bat would be worse. Especially those aluminum ones.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
emw said:
I had a golf club fly into my head once, but I imagine a bat would be worse. Especially those aluminum ones.

Oh, I must look like a lunatic.. I just thought about aluminum bats (like.. the flying bat) and started cracking up.
The whole class turned to look at me.. :eek:

This happens every day when I read MR.. Maybe I'm amused too easily.

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
In the old days, when I was a kid, we got in trouble for having non-school reading materials during class. Now you're surfing the web? Must be nice. :p

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
emw said:
In the old days, when I was a kid, we got in trouble for having non-school reading materials during class. Now you're surfing the web? Must be nice. :p

Not when birds are flying into your head and hunting your young.

I live in terror now; I know too much.

I'll never look at a bird the same way again!

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
emw said:
Remember that next time you have a chicken sandwich.

I don't eat meat.

Maybe I should tell the top chicken in the pecking order this and the anti-KT attacks will end.

I knew those birds were up to something.
Always pooping on my car.
ok, it's not MY car, but I still get to clean all the bird off my mom's camry.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
katie ta achoo said:
No.. this actually happened to me.
It was a blue jay and it was swooping under a walkway for reasons unknown.

You were near their nest - you probably didn't see it - but they're very protective of the eggs :D

It didn't have anything to do with the size of your head :p

D

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
emw said:

I was hit twice with an aluminum bat when I younger. They weren't exactly flying, unless you count "being swung at a ball" as "flying." Yeah, people say two hits to the head explain a lot.

pknz

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2005
NZ
Did anyone else think of birds walking around with guns shooting humans? Or was it just me?

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
katie ta achoo said:

You haven't met our Magpies then?

Every year around the time when the eggs are hatching, the magpies will sit near the nest and watch what's going on, then when someone walks by underneath they swoop down out of their hiding place and go at the back of your head with their beak and talons. They rarely hit as the point is to scare you off but every now and then they mis-judge. I saw a bald guy get cut from the back of his head to the front by a low flying magpie beak. It's easy to stop them swooping, you just have to spot them and make sure you watch them the whole time you pass by, they don't seem to swoop if you can see them.

It's a funny time of year, you'll see people in suits walking to work with bicycle helmets on, sometimes icecream buckets on their head, there's always some news story showing power company workmen up a pole and an irate maggie swooping in and out at them.

GorillaPaws

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Lord Blackadder said:
That reminds me of that Seinfeld episode where Elaine's ex told her she had a big head, and later in the program a bird flew into her head, seemingly confirming the insult. :D

The story reminded me of this:
5123.jpg

Birds really are dangerous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.