Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DistalSublime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
My parents have agreed on getting me a laptop for my birthday. Do you think the macbook (ibook) will be available then? A story on the front page says it has been pushed to "next month." Also, I have seen some issues people have been having with the Macbook Pro. Are those pretty much worked out by now, and do you think the macbook (ibook) will have issues at the start too? I don't mind getting a macbook pro in time for my birthday I just need to know if the wi-fi is effective, the overheating's not too much of an issue and the buzzing isn't too loud. Thanks.

EDIT: Also, I will be attending summer courses at college and need a laptop pretty soon. Just to add that for your consideration.

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
No one knows the release date of the Macbook. I would guess at mid May so in time for your birthday. I find that the MBP is too big to carry around at uni so i would go with the Macbook. If it is not out for your birthday, it wouldn't be long until it is.

crazydrumma

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2006
Chicago
I have a thick 15 inch HP laptop currently (horrid, I know), which I am selling. It weighs about 7 pounds, and is about 2 inches thick. This is 2 pounds heavier and twice as thick as the Macbook Pro, and I honestly have no trouble carrying it around with me at school. I will be buying a 15 inch Macbook pro in the beginning of June, and I think it will be quite portable, to answer your issues on that. It honestly bugs me when people say that 15 inch laptops are too big for them to carry around. They're still small, especially the apple ones. I mean, if a 5 pound, 1 inch thick laptop that is simply gorgeous is too much to carry on your shoulders or in a messenger bag, seriously, start lifting weights, because that is pathetic.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
If they offer to buy a MBP get it, that is assumig they won't be charging the $$ to a credit card. Buy what the really have the money for(just try to help out your parents)

gman71882

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
Houston, Tx
15" is the biggest you would want to go... So the Pro isnt a bad choice.
would get you through all 4-5 years of college for sure.
if the ~13 or 14 inch macbook is out by may that might be a better buy for you. By saving you money you could get one of the new ipods too!!

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
I wouldn't recommend the MBP at this stage, seeing as to how...
1) it still have some teething issues, that's bound to hurt resale value
2) while on the subject of resale, Merom books are coming soon!
3) Macbooks might fit your needs better actually, MBPs are essentially just loaded with a faster GPU and faster CPU, and the advantage from the CPU is not very significant..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.