Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Neoraven

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Hello all, I just recently switched to using a Mac, I'm on a new BlackBook (2.0/C2D/2Ghz/120GB) and I really don't even use my PC anymore. Just recently a little Black Box decides to surround things I select but only in select applications. For example, using OS X's Mail program, when I'm cycling through E-mail's it will box the "Replied" section of the header. If I select the body of the message it will box that.

When I go into Finder, it will put a little Black Box around the "Back" arrow, and when I'm using Adium it will box the contact list.

Question: How do I make the box go away?

Thank you

- Reformed PC user

Retired
May 16, 2006
Screenshot please. All I can think of is repairing permissions (go to disk utility).

Neoraven

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Screenshot:

Picture3.png

This is a Screenshot, while viewing a Screenshot. It happens in 'Preview' too, see the black box around the "Drawer" button? Thats the black box that appears around everything.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
For future reference (and as you may have seen in System Preferences), VoiceOver can be toggled on and off using Command-F5 or Command-Fn-F5, depending on whether your function keys are set up to control hardware or software features. Accidentally hitting that key combo is how most people turn it on in the first place.

You also obviously have your volume muted, or you undoubtedly would have commented on your Mac speaking the name/function of each thing the black box was highlighting. :D :cool:

milind.bengeri

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
Thanks

Three years since this thread was started but it still helped me :)
And now that i know the solution it was a combination of command+Fn+F5 that had turned it on in my system..

Thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.