Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jzo

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
And gift cards have this subtle thing about them that make people think the deal is better than it is.

I buy an iPad for $499 with $100 gift card. I _THINK_ I'm buying the iPad for $399. I'm NOT. I'm actually buying it for $499.

Then when I buy $100 worth of crap with that gift card, I _THINK_ it's all FREE because I'm using a $100 gift card.

You can't think $399 iPad plus $100 to spend on a gift card, but this is how most consumers think, and why the stores love these promotions. And the $100 gift card is usually spent on crap because someone has $100 to spend at store X and will add things together to make $100 that they wouldn't normally buy.

What is REALLY happening is that instead of getting an iPad for $399, you're REALLY getting an iPad for the SAME EXACT PRICE as you would elsewhere ($499), but you're also getting $100 worth of crap with it.

Somewhat true, somewhat not.

I'm getting the iPad mini at Walmart tomorrow for $299 with the $100 gift card. We would be spending $100 at Walmart within the next month or so anyway (groceries). So the gift card IS as good as cash.

Now if some shoe store was selling the iPad and I got a gift card, then yes, it's not as good as cash because I'd just end up getting shoes I don't need etc.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
The Target ad is pretty clear that the gift card offer applies to both the 16 GB Wifi Air they have listed as well as "all other iPads, including iPad 2. It also says "$100 TARGET GIFTCARD® when you buy any iPad."

However, Target uses "iPad" here quite literally, to the exclusion of iPad mini. In that case, the offer is a $75 card.

The $100 gift card offer does not say that it excludes the iPad mini. It says, "All iPads."

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
A $68,000 Corvette is rated higher than a $148,000 Porsche 911.

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...ng-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-4

Nice try, though.

Yes, in specs. The Porsche also handles better and probably has a nicer interior, which matters, while the Corvette has more power. But I'd still rather have a C6 Corvette anyway.

----------

Well, you can't compare a Porsche to a ****** Corvette....
Nice try, though ;-)

He compared it to the wrong Corvette. The new ones ("C7" or did they get rid of that naming system?) are ugly.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
You won't believe how many smart people (just not technically smart) look at specs, and think the iPad 2 is better or almost the same as the iPad Air.

At my office, a co-worker in a meeting said that he was looking to get an iPad. He was thinking of the iPad 2 because it was cheaper. He didn't want retina on the iPad Air, because he thought it scanned your eyes. The iPad 2 has a dual-core chip, while the iPad Air doesn't (in Apple's spec page it simply says 'A7 chip with 64-bit architecture and M7 motion coprocessor' for the iPad Air). He didn't care about the cameras.

So, the majority of people just don't really understand. This is why I think most people get the cheaper model.

It's similar to when I'm looking for a blender. I see a $24 blender at Walmart, but it's some no-name. Then I see a 'Cuisinart' Blender for $89 and another for $139. Well, I know the name Cuisinart. It's probably better, will last longer. But I'll buy the least expensive one for $89 vs. $139. I'm a smart consumer!

I think typical Apple consumers go out looking for a tablet and see. Hmmm... Samsung tablet $199. Not a great name. Apple tablet for $299 or $399. I hear Apple is a great brand name, better quality. I'll get the cheaper Apple tablet. I'm a smart consumer!

A lot of people just don't understand consumer thinking, and think that it makes any sense.

The "smart consumer" you describe sounds pretty dumb.

If you're into comparing specs, and have a 1/2 a brain, there is NO WAY you will look at the iPad 2 and iPad 4 and think that the 2 is better. The ONLY way you could buy a 2 and think you got a great deal is to not know or care about specs at all. You'd have to be a fool to purchase a iPad 2 these days.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
The $100 gift card offer does not say that it excludes the iPad mini. It says, "All iPads."

That's why you have to read the rest of the ad. It specifically states that the iPad mini will give you a $75 card (unless you really think they'll give you $100 + $75).

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
so staples.com restocked on the IPAD MINI SLATE GRAY a little while ago. hurry if you want!

The site tells me that the Retina Mini does not qualify for the coupon--so it's full price. (You find this out when you have the Mini in your cart and add the coupon: the coupon is there, but no resulting discount appears. A link to a mountain of fine print... completely fails to make it clear which models qualify! (There's a list of Staples part numbers for a few Apple tablets that are excluded, but the Retina Mini and Air are not on that list.)

A high-end Air also fails to qualify for the coupon--but at least I understand why: the 128GB Cellular models' price is $30 off, which means other deals cannot be combined. (Of course, I'd rather have the $50 coupon.)

I think the road to the best deal on a Retina Mini is: wait until after Groundhog Day!

peteo

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2007
Any one have the link to he 329 iPad mini retina deal? Can't find the ad that says its on sale. In fact so far I have yet to find a Black Friday deal for iPad mini retina. Maybe apple will have a discount

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Any one have the link to he 329 iPad mini retina deal? Can't find the ad that says its on sale. In fact so far I have yet to find a Black Friday deal for iPad mini retina. Maybe apple will have a discount

Target says "$75 Gift card" for any iPad mini. So, it depends on if they have stock of the retina.

arn

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
And gift cards have this subtle thing about them that make people think the deal is better than it is.

I buy an iPad for $499 with $100 gift card. I _THINK_ I'm buying the iPad for $399. I'm NOT. I'm actually buying it for $499.

Then when I buy $100 worth of crap with that gift card, I _THINK_ it's all FREE because I'm using a $100 gift card.

You can't think $399 iPad plus $100 to spend on a gift card, but this is how most consumers think, and why the stores love these promotions. And the $100 gift card is usually spent on crap because someone has $100 to spend at store X and will add things together to make $100 that they wouldn't normally buy.

What is REALLY happening is that instead of getting an iPad for $399, you're REALLY getting an iPad for the SAME EXACT PRICE as you would elsewhere ($499), but you're also getting $100 worth of crap with it.

True, but when Target had the $200 GC buy-back offer on iPads, I turned an old iPad 1 into a new bike for my daughter. It's all about what you're shopping for.

I'm just happy that I got my 2 iPad Airs with no tax, free shipping and NO BF LINES TO DEAL WITH. I think in the end, I came out ahead. ;-)

Last edited:

sweetestbaboon

macrumors member
Dec 6, 2011
Forgive what may be a stupid question, but does anyone know (or has anyone heard) whether Staples will get iPad 2's back in stock before their $299 deal ends?
Thanks so much!

esskay

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Fry's is also offering the iPad Air at $479 with a 100 Fry's gift card, but it's in-store only.

http://www.frys.com/ads/page42

Thanks. But my wife will easily spend $100 at Target on regular ongoing purchases… so getting a Target gift card will make more sense for my family. Hope we'll be able to get one without too much trouble… I wonder what "limited quantities" really means…

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
I really don't understand why the iPad discounts are generally for only the 16gb. Why not make the extra money and just offer the blanket discount across all size models? Going on the staples website, it's $50 off for the 16gb Air, yet $20 off for the 32gb. Why not offer the same discount?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Staples is offering $50 off a 16GB Air but only $20 off a 32GB.

While Best Buy has the 32GB for $60 off.

Wow, Staples really knows how to get you into the higher priced item :rolleyes:

----------

Target says "$75 Gift card" for any iPad mini. So, it depends on if they have stock of the retina.

arn

I can very much use the gift card for kids gifts and was planning on getting a 32GB Air this weekend. However, if the Apple Store has the 32GB with a $50-70 gift card vs. the $20 off and $100 gift card from Target, I may just skip the Thursday night lines and scarce quantities. I just wish we knew the Apple pricing as I don't think it will be available by 8pm on Thanksgiving when Target opens. If I go, I wouldn't be getting there before 7-7:30, which isn't much to get me in a good spot in line. Sorry, never done the BF line up thing before.

Also, with Apple I'm assuming I can order it only for pickup on Friday to make the process smoother...

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Best Buy BF deal is live!

Get it while you can. Apparently Target deal is also available online.

Last edited:

s4sammy

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
Target.com Black Friday is Available Online Now

Been looking for an iPad Air for Verizon. The good news is that I won't need to go to the store as all iPads are eligible for the $100 Gift Card promotion online at Target.com. :)

Attachments

• Target_BF_iPad_Air.jpg
    Target_BF_iPad_Air.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 148
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.