Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which do you prefer, the black or the white iPod?

• Black is the new white, baby!

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • Keep it simple, stupid - go classic!

Votes: 47 56.6%

• Total voters

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Okay. Silly thread, I know. But I'm in the market to upgrade to a 5G iPod (my 30gb doesn't cut it anymore), and I really can't decide. I like the white, but I have a blackbook, and I haven't seen many black iPods up close, so I don't know what my take on them is. I've looked at photos, but.. eh.

So, quick/silly little poll: which do you prefer, the black or the white? Should I go with the classic look, or make my apple products match?

Old Smuggler

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
i would say black
your macbook is black it has white cables
now your ipod will be black with white cables

keed the checkered look going on
plus black looks better viewing videos on

but for a imac i would go white

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
CEAbiscuit said:
You could always change the color with an iSkin or something similar. You have to protect in anyway.
well, sure, but that's not really changing the color much, you'll probably still be able to see through it somewhat. though that does bring up an interesting thought: if i went with a semi-transparant, colored case (like a gelly type one, if you know what i mean), then the black would kind of hinder the color i choose... heh.

like i said, i know this is a silly poll.. it's different when you're deciding on the color of your MB, since that's such an expensive item - this doesn't matter quite as much.. but, still, i really can't decide.. and i just figured, well, since i have a few days before i'll be buying, why not ask MR.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I prefer the white iPod to the black one due to the fact its the definitive iPod colour - even at a distance, it's easily distinguishable as an iPod due to the wheel being a grey colour compared to the rest of the front which is white. The black to me looks too much like a generic lump, not the classic iPod we're all used to.

I don't know what the obsession is with Black - wasn't every electronics item (TV, VCR, Hi-Fi etc) Black back in the 80's? Surely silver or white is the colour for the 21st Century? :p

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
Clydefrog said:
personally why are you asking us, its your decision
because i'm undecisive, have hardly seen any black ipods, and have a few days before i'm buying, so why not?

i know it's ultimately my decision (duh, thank you captain obvious), but i wanted a little bit of input and see what the general consensus is and what others' preferences are. i prefaced the entire thread by "okay. silly thread, i know..." so you could have stopped reading there.

plinkoman

macrumors 65816
Jul 2, 2003
New York
white looks so much better in my opinion. I think the MacBook looks good in black, but not the iPod. glossy black + chrome just doesn't do it for me.

and I hardly see how a glossy black iPod will match a matte black MacBook any better than a white iPod will. If anything, I think the white would compliment it much better.

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
Let me offer a functional and useful suggestions. If you're going to be looking at your screen a lot (games, videos, pictures), get the black, it causes the screen to look brighter and contrast better, making it stand out like a screen in a movie theater. If not, get the white.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
wow, guys. white is kicking black's butt.

MovieCutter said:
Let me offer a functional and useful suggestions. If you're going to be looking at your screen a lot (games, videos, pictures), get the black, it causes the screen to look brighter and contrast better, making it stand out like a screen in a movie theater. If not, get the white.
hey, thanks for that - would have never thought of it!

2Shae

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
In my eyes...
When it's not white, it's not an ipod!!!
but it's your choice really

I got a 30GB 5G White

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Make them match. If you have a blackbook, get a black iPod.

I have a white MacBook w/white iPod on the way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.