Black Person Halloween makeup

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stinkythe1, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors regular

Before you gasp :eek:

My brother and I always attend a halloween party as a pair. In the past we've been Gordon Freeman and the G-Man, Gabe and Tycho, Good Ash and bad Ash. You get the idea. So this year we are thinking about going as Jules and Vincent from Pulp Fiction. I will be playing the role of Jules. I am white and I need to turn into Samuel L Jackson. Does anyone know about face makeup and where I could procure an African American hue? I want it to be pretty permenant where it doesn't rub off on clothes yet easily washed off in the shower.

However, I don't want to look like this:

[​IMG]

Advice?

2. macrumors 6502

try walmart;)

3. macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

we did a play in grade 5 or 6 and I remember using face cream and coco powder. Can't remember how realistic the results were (hey, it was like 15 years ago!) but I do remember it left the wearers skin uber smooth after :)

4. macrumors 65816

beatsme

eh...are you sure you want to wear that makeup all night?

hmmm...costume duos
    Batman & Robin, but only from the 60's tv show
    Clark Kent & Superman
    Young Elvis & Fat Elvis

Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, maybe?

Kirk & Spock?

how about Lenny & Squiggy, or if you're feeling really adventurous, Laverne & Shirley?

5. macrumors G3

get a few bottles of foundation and do it very meticulously?

don't forget your hands, neck, and ears.

6. macrumors 68030

Ok, wow, I totally wouldn't go for that. Just seems like it's a bad idea, like it'd be too easy for people to misinterpret what you're going for.

7. macrumors 65816

beatsme

I didn't want to come right out and say it, but yea...I'm not sure the black-face makeup is what you want to do. Bad connotations, esp. in Mississippi

8. macrumors regular

As a black male, I wouldn't want you to show up at my house with black makeup on.

9. macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Yeah why don't one of you just go as Uma with a black wig, boobs, and a nose bleed. I'd even suggest the gimp before going in black face. You could both wear black suits and introduce yourself as Mr. Brown and Mr. Pink. Or if that doesn't work just tell people your the Blues Brothers or Men in Black. Actually don't do MIB that's just lame.

10. macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

Yeah, deffinately no makeup. Maybe just the afro could sell it. How pale are you?

11. macrumors 68000

savar

Exactly what I was thinking. Even though your going as a particular character, black face has a connotation of racism because of its use in in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. (See The Birth Of A Nation, e.g.) However, if you have your heart set on it, the way they did back then was with charcoal. I believe they burned wood thoroughly then mashed it up with water to make a paste.

It would probably be funnier to print out Sam Jackson's face on a color printer and make a mask.

12. macrumors 68000

nospleen

I agree, as a white male, I wouldn't want you to show up at my house with black makeup on.

I know it is all in fun and not mean spirited, but, I think some things are just too serious to even take the chance. (especially in Miss.)

13. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Ren & Stimpy?

Attached Files:

14. macrumors 603

Markleshark

Wow, while almost saying the OP is a racist, you yourselves have all come rather as the same. Why such a large divide? It's a costume FFS... Maybe its just a touchy US thing... Who knows...

15. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

For some reason Political Correctness is infectious. If someone came to my house looking like the guy in the top picture I'd laugh my arse off...because I think it's funny.

16. macrumors 603

Markleshark

Me too. Where are you from... Oh, yeah... UK. :rolleyes: :D

17. macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, would the people saying not to do it have a problem if a black person turned up with white makeup on?

18. macrumors 6502a

Brize

The racial dynamic of Mississippi is probably different to that of Carlisle. Regardless, I'd find black face offensive in nearly all contexts.

'Nuff said.

19. macrumors 603

Markleshark

WTF?

You find all back faces offensive?...

Cleaver idea anyway... I was asking what everyones problem was, trying to bridge the gap, and you dig up my honesty. You should maybe read up a bit more before judging. ;) And the Daily Mail doesn't count as reading up... Anyway, I'm not here to discuss and argue about my political views, so if you don't mind.

20. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

But people are most likely to beat up a Michael Jackson impersonator, than somebody showing up with the blackface makeup.

21. macrumors 6502a

Wow, your all a bunch of liberals ;]

I cant believe you guys find this offensive. Maybe things really are that much different in other states than here in New York City.

Ive seen people do this using a mixture of powder and black make up. It gives it more of a comedic look then a realistic one - kind of like when Dave Chapelle dresses as a white news anchor on his show.

22. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

:eek: The racist son-of-a... No. Hang on a minute. He's... I'm... Oh, someone tell me what to think. Please!

23. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This is a text-based forum, which means you need to know how to read.

Please go to YouTube for your video-based opinion.

Edit: Nevermind ... I'm too lazy to make a video-based insult. :p

24. macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Nope. I can't make head or tail of your reply, but in case you misunderstood my oblique reference I was alluding to the double standards referred to by mrzeve and the independence of thought (i.e., non-political, just rational) required to recognize it. That's all.

25. macrumors 6502a

bowens

I guess you guys would probably think this was offensive too then.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.