Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stinkythe1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 30, 2005
Before you gasp :eek:

My brother and I always attend a halloween party as a pair. In the past we've been Gordon Freeman and the G-Man, Gabe and Tycho, Good Ash and bad Ash. You get the idea. So this year we are thinking about going as Jules and Vincent from Pulp Fiction. I will be playing the role of Jules. I am white and I need to turn into Samuel L Jackson. Does anyone know about face makeup and where I could procure an African American hue? I want it to be pretty permenant where it doesn't rub off on clothes yet easily washed off in the shower.

However, I don't want to look like this:

Minstrel_PosterBillyVanWare.jpg

Advice?

dornoforpyros

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2004
Calgary, AB
we did a play in grade 5 or 6 and I remember using face cream and coco powder. Can't remember how realistic the results were (hey, it was like 15 years ago!) but I do remember it left the wearers skin uber smooth after :)

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
eh...are you sure you want to wear that makeup all night?

hmmm...costume duos
Batman & Robin, but only from the 60's tv show
Clark Kent & Superman
Young Elvis & Fat Elvis

Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis, maybe?

Kirk & Spock?

how about Lenny & Squiggy, or if you're feeling really adventurous, Laverne & Shirley?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Ok, wow, I totally wouldn't go for that. Just seems like it's a bad idea, like it'd be too easy for people to misinterpret what you're going for.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
livingfortoday said:
Ok, wow, I totally wouldn't go for that. Just seems like it's a bad idea, like it'd be too easy for people to misinterpret what you're going for.

I didn't want to come right out and say it, but yea...I'm not sure the black-face makeup is what you want to do. Bad connotations, esp. in Mississippi

DISCOMUNICATION

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cambridge, MA USA
beatsme said:
I didn't want to come right out and say it, but yea...I'm not sure the black-face makeup is what you want to do. Bad connotations, esp. in Mississippi
Yeah why don't one of you just go as Uma with a black wig, boobs, and a nose bleed. I'd even suggest the gimp before going in black face. You could both wear black suits and introduce yourself as Mr. Brown and Mr. Pink. Or if that doesn't work just tell people your the Blues Brothers or Men in Black. Actually don't do MIB that's just lame.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
livingfortoday said:

Exactly what I was thinking. Even though your going as a particular character, black face has a connotation of racism because of its use in in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. (See The Birth Of A Nation, e.g.) However, if you have your heart set on it, the way they did back then was with charcoal. I believe they burned wood thoroughly then mashed it up with water to make a paste.

It would probably be funnier to print out Sam Jackson's face on a color printer and make a mask.

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
allexsimmons said:
As a black male, I wouldn't want you to show up at my house with black makeup on.

I agree, as a white male, I wouldn't want you to show up at my house with black makeup on.

I know it is all in fun and not mean spirited, but, I think some things are just too serious to even take the chance. (especially in Miss.)

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
Wow, while almost saying the OP is a racist, you yourselves have all come rather as the same. Why such a large divide? It's a costume FFS... Maybe its just a touchy US thing... Who knows...

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Markleshark said:
Wow, while almost saying the OP is a racist, you yourselves have all come rather as the same. Why such a large divide? It's a costume FFS... Maybe its just a touchy US thing... Who knows...
For some reason Political Correctness is infectious. If someone came to my house looking like the guy in the top picture I'd laugh my arse off...because I think it's funny.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
MrSmith said:
For some reason Political Correctness is infectious. If someone came to my house looking like the guy in the top picture I'd laugh my arse off...because I think it's funny.

Me too. Where are you from... Oh, yeah... UK. :rolleyes: :D

Foggy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2006
London, UK
Just out of curiosity, would the people saying not to do it have a problem if a black person turned up with white makeup on?

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
Markleshark said:

The racial dynamic of Mississippi is probably different to that of Carlisle. Regardless, I'd find black face offensive in nearly all contexts.

Markleshark said:

'Nuff said.

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
WTF?

I'd find black face offensive in nearly all contexts

You find all back faces offensive?...

Cleaver idea anyway... I was asking what everyones problem was, trying to bridge the gap, and you dig up my honesty. You should maybe read up a bit more before judging. ;) And the Daily Mail doesn't count as reading up... Anyway, I'm not here to discuss and argue about my political views, so if you don't mind.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
DISCOMUNICATION said:
allexsimmons said:
As a black male, I wouldn't want you to show up at my house with black makeup on.
Yeah, deffinately no makeup. Maybe just the afro could sell it. How pale are you?
But people are most likely to beat up a Michael Jackson impersonator, than somebody showing up with the blackface makeup.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Wow, your all a bunch of liberals ;]

I cant believe you guys find this offensive. Maybe things really are that much different in other states than here in New York City.

Ive seen people do this using a mixture of powder and black make up. It gives it more of a comedic look then a realistic one - kind of like when Dave Chapelle dresses as a white news anchor on his show.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
mrzeve said:
kind of like when Dave Chapelle dresses as a white news anchor on his show.
:eek: The racist son-of-a... No. Hang on a minute. He's... I'm... Oh, someone tell me what to think. Please!

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
MrSmith said:
:eek: The racist son-of-a... No. Hang on a minute. He's... I'm... Oh, someone tell me what to think. Please!
This is a text-based forum, which means you need to know how to read.

Please go to YouTube for your video-based opinion.

Edit: Nevermind ... I'm too lazy to make a video-based insult. :p

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Sun Baked said:
This is a text-based forum, which means you need to know how to read.

Please go to YouTube for your video-based opinion.

Edit: Nevermind ... I'm too lazy to make a video-based insult. :p
Nope. I can't make head or tail of your reply, but in case you misunderstood my oblique reference I was alluding to the double standards referred to by mrzeve and the independence of thought (i.e., non-political, just rational) required to recognize it. That's all.

bowens

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2006
Florida
I guess you guys would probably think this was offensive too then.

Attachments

• IMG_3893.jpg
    IMG_3893.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 496
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.