Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Hi all,
My iPhone SE 3 (2022) has the "black screen" issue:
"iPhone randomly changes to black screen but device is still on, responds to buttons and makes sounds"

Currently on 16.4.1 (a), so latest update.

Any best practice solution yet? FW update?

- - - - - More info - - - - -
So I figured out that while turned to black, the display is still working normally, just without the LCD backlight. When I illuminate the display with another light source (sun, flashlight) I can see all the apps icons and type.

So I can do a right button long press, swipe left to right and restart the device normally.

This issue pops up regularly (though sometimes multiple times a day and sometimes no occurrence for two weeks) so I would like to know what I can do about it.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Okay thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I was under the impression that this was a familiar iPhone SE issue (2020 and 2022) and that it would need a software fix by apple.

Or is that a different issue?

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Okay thanks a lot for taking the time to reply. I was under the impression that this was a familiar iPhone SE issue (2020 and 2022) and that it would need a software fix by apple.

Or is that a different issue?

As others have said, this is 100% a hardware issue and your iPhone needs a screen replacement.

ish4y

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2022
I have the SE 2022 and once in a while the screen turns black, but the home button keeps responding. I'm out of warranty though.

OSXphoto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 23, 2013
Just wanted to say thanks to you all. As it's a business phone, I went to the IT service desk and they swapped the devices. Never had an issue with that unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.