Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyQuest

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2006
I still cannot make up my mind on the macbook! White... Black... I just don't know... I think the black would show smudges, but it's so hot. White will show dirt, but it's so classic. Somebody PLEASE help me... :eek:

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
:rolleyes: Can't we all just get along?

It's your money, how can we decide if its worth your money to get a different color:confused:

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
JohnnyQuest said:
I still cannot make up my mind on the macbook! White... Black... I just don't know... I think the black would show smudges, but it's so hot. White will show dirt, but it's so classic. Somebody PLEASE help me... :eek:

Get the black. Once I saw the thing I was hooked. It's simply beautiful, and much easier to keep clean than the white model.

cairo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2005
I have a black one and i will be returning it tomorrow. The black looks great but you can see smudges and finder prints all over it if you need to handle the machine much.

count chocula

macrumors 6502a
i saw and played with both at my local apple store. i really liked both, but i think i will be getting a black one (more more week til i order it!). the black did show smudges and fingerprints on hte body, but they wiped right off with a rub of a finger. if you like both the same, then go with white because its cheaper.

vakej

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2006
Personally, I like the white one. it looks great! :)

You mentioned seeing smudges on the black one. The white one, I'm sure you would easily notice scratches :eek: Not sure if that's a concern you have.

Most people purchase protective cases for their ipods (industry made millions on this). The white macbook looks just as prone to get scratched, and it cost MUCH more...just a thought to consider ;)

ncook06

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
Personally, because I didn't need the SD or the 2.0 GHz processor, I saved the cash and went white. If they had a black one for the same price I would have gotten it though...

iHeartTheApple

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Boston, MA
Get the white one. It has classic, elegant, apple style...IMO, the matte black isn't so hot. If it was glossy like the white one, then maybe it would be worth it. I love my white one...I just hope I'm anal enough to keep it white! :p Good luck with your decision.

dav

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2004
I personally have a love affair with the white one and asked myself the same question.

People always told me the black looked better so I second guessed myself, then realized that each person has a radically different opinion.

For me, the white one. I love it. Moreso than the MPB (which was an option).

If both MacBooks and the Pro were all the same price, I would still go for what I got. A maxed out white MacBook. Ordered it today.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i was going to wait till parts are available then buy some black case parts.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
vakej said:
You mentioned seeing smudges on the black one. The white one, I'm sure you would easily notice scratches :eek: Not sure if that's a concern you have.

Most people purchase protective cases for their ipods (industry made millions on this). The white macbook looks just as prone to get scratched, and it cost MUCH more...just a thought to consider ;)

Actually, the black one would not only show smudges, but show scratches easier as well. It's probably the reason why they gave the black model a matte finish. After making the iPod Nanos in black shiny plastic, they realised how easily it showed scratches. The white iPods don't show scratches as easily. Having a matte finish hides the scratches better, but lets face it, a scratch on a white reflective surface is going to hide scratches better than black, whether the surface was shiny or matte. Black iPod experience has proven that black shows scratches.

On that note, I want the black model. :D :p It looks like a black modded 12" PowerBook to me, and the PB's looks were always more appealing to me than the shiny white plastic look of the iBooks. But oddly enough, I don't like black iPods. :confused:

the Western zoo

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Aarhus C, Denmark
I've bought the white version and I love it! it so classic ibook'ish and ipod'ish and that makes all the difference to me! but I don't mind that everyone else loves the black version cause that'll propperly lover the risk of mine being stollen....

designed

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Finland
General Laptop is black or grey and I think we've seen enough of that, even though the black MB is a notch or two above anything else out there. That's why I went for the white one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.