Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

walie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2010
If your a BBM Fanatic or your friends all have Blacberries jsut tell them to use

LiveProfile
WhatsApp
PingChat

All 3 of those are good apps

quite douchy to expect all your BB friends to change the way they IM just to accommodate you

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
It's not, people just like to argue. A "universal" message is a text message, and BB Messenger was from the days where text messages were expensive, and before threaded messaging became commonplace on iPhone, Blackberry, etc...

Today BBM is entirely relevant for BB users, but so irrelevant for the rest of us. Having had a blackberry it's a great tool for bb to bb user communication, but the world is no longer dominated by BB users.

You talk like if the US were the entire world, well I live in Colombia South America and here we get charged for SMS a lot of money so almost everybody has a BB to talk through BBM, so once again having a way to talk from iPhone to BBM would be nice in some places around the world (Yes. the world is really big, the US is just a small piece.)

Chone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
You talk like if the US were the entire world, well I live in Colombia South America and here we get charged for SMS a lot of money so almost everybody has a BB to talk through BBM, so once again having a way to talk from iPhone to BBM would be nice in some places around the world (Yes. the world is really big, the US is just a small piece.)

I live in Ecuador (just south of you) and having internet activated on your phone costs $20 while getting a 5000 SMS/month plan costs $5. I can't imagine it's much different in Colombia. Not to mention the cost of a Blackberry (the cheapest one here is around $200 but no one buys that one of course)

I just don't think cost is the reason people like BBM, it's more about convenience and being constantly "connected", BBM works like MSN Messenger where as SMS is more like email, it just doesn't feel the same.

I ask my BB buddies to download WhatsApp, some do, others don't, I download it for them when I have their phone when they don't, I have pretty much everyone I need on my WhatsApp contacts that have blackberries.

To be honest, the only thing WhatsApp needs is Groups and then it will be perfect.

ssdeg7

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
I live in Ecuador (just south of you) and having internet activated on your phone costs $20 while getting a 5000 SMS/month plan costs $5. I can't imagine it's much different in Colombia. Not to mention the cost of a Blackberry (the cheapest one here is around $200 but no one buys that one of course)

I just don't think cost is the reason people like BBM, it's more about convenience and being constantly "connected", BBM works like MSN Messenger where as SMS is more like email, it just doesn't feel the same.

I ask my BB buddies to download WhatsApp, some do, others don't, I download it for them when I have their phone when they don't, I have pretty much everyone I need on my WhatsApp contacts that have blackberries.

To be honest, the only thing WhatsApp needs is Groups and then it will be perfect.

I use WhatsApp and here at Colombia BB is the cheapest you can get, i'm not kidding when I say everybody has a BB, when you go somewhere they don't ask for your number, they ask for your BBPin, this is because here they don't bring Android Phones, and iPhones cost about four times, subsidies are not that great and are only sold for companies, that's how I got mine.

I use WhatsApp but the problem is that people with BB here don't buy unlimited data plan, they buy a plan called Social Plan or something like that (Because an unlimited plan costs $33 and this BB plan costs less than $10). It comes with BBM, Facebook and Email, so people can't use WhatsApp when not on WiFi, which makes it useless.

bellavista4928

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why would u even want bbm

nebo1ss

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I think many people here don't get the BBM issue. It is an important part of the Blackberry service, it is secure, it is free even for international messages. It has a large user base and many people have a Blackberry only because of the BBM service.

There are many parts of the world where BBM is used to prevent "big brother" snooping on user messages.

There is nothing that is going to interface seemlessly with BBM if the service is important to you buy a blackberry.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
There are many parts of the world where BBM is used to prevent "big brother" snooping on user messages.

There is nothing that is going to interface seemlessly with BBM if the service is important to you buy a blackberry.

I thought BB gave acess to almost every country to "snoop" in when they were threaten to take down all blackberry communications by various goverments.
But again, I dont think anyone really cares about that unless you're an aspiring terrorist:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.