Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I hope Apple doesn't wait until iOS is almost completely dead before providing iMessage on Android devices like Blackberry did with their message service.

I haven't seen any evidence that iOS is almost dead or dying. With iPhones, iPods, iPads, and Mac all using iMessage, I'm sure it will be around for many years to come.

ukraine55

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Sacramento, CA
Blackberry Status Bar

Why are there so much icons on the Blackberry status bar... Its sooo confusing and unclean (Unless all services/applications are on for testing)... Whos with me on that one?

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
I haven't seen any evidence that iOS is almost dead or dying. With iPhones, iPods, iPads, and Mac all using iMessage, I'm sure it will be around for many years to come.

Wow, people forgot how large Blackberry was in its day.

I personally am not leaving iOS and invested more on that platform than probably most people. It wasn't long ago that Blackberry had no evidence that it was dying and look what happened. Perhaps it was just that it took something really far ahead like the iPhone to hurt Blackberry and that Android will never have that much advantage over the iPhone for this to happen again. If iMessage ever comes out for Android, I would prefer it sooner than later. If it never comes out, it won't be the end of the world.

IllmasterMath

Cancelled
May 16, 2012
How? Explain it to us. The diehard Crackberry addicts talk about how much better it is, and never explain what makes it better.

A long list of intangibles I have become intimately familiar with as a consequence of using something instead of allowing my preconceived fanboy notions to dictate my opinion on and ultimately delude myself into thinking I was some sort of expert on the subject.

But in a nutshell, it sending my message when I press send the first time. it just works.

In the meantime: BBM still doesn't offer the ability to carry on the same conversations on multiple devices... I can't BBM someone from my Macs at home and at work, for instance, nor does it seem I can switch between iOS devices and pick up where I left off in the same conversation.

>multiple devices

No, multiple Apple devices. As someone who owns a Mac and an iPhone and an iPad, I can say with conviction that iMessaging on an iPad is retarded and I would never take out my computer to carry on a conversation I could easily have on my phone. And that makes it pretty useless outside of home.

This is a feature I've gotten very used to in iMessage and not having this in BBM is a HUGE mistake. Being able to offer a cross-platform ability to carry on the same conversation with the same contacts - jumping from say, an Android phone to an iPad to a Mac or Windows desktop - would've made BBM something I would've tried. But it doesn't, so no... it's not better. At all. It's just another fragmented messaging platform.

I don't think you understand what fragmentation means, because it's not synonymous with cross-platform. What you propose already exists, it's called facebook and you don't use it for a reason.

Yeeah, I already have that now, thanks. Frankly, I have zero BBM users in my contacts, at at least a couple dozen iMessage users. So even if I had an interest in BBM, it would be pretty boring.

happy-thumbs-up-l.png

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
This is going no where fast, but I guess another option is nice.

Besides there is already a cross platform messaging system that nearly everyone already has access to and that is Facebook Messenger. It also aggregates all content to all devices. It's what my wife and I use more than anything besides iMessage and there really is no compelling reason to change to BBM.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
A long list of intangibles I have become intimately familiar with as a consequence of using something instead of allowing my preconceived fanboy notions to dictate my opinion on and ultimately delude myself into thinking I was some sort of expert on the subject.

But in a nutshell, it sending my message when I press send the first time. it just works.

>multiple devices

No, multiple Apple devices. As someone who owns a Mac and an iPhone and an iPad, I can say with conviction that iMessaging on an iPad is retarded and I would never take out my computer to carry on a conversation I could easily have on my phone. And that makes it pretty useless outside of home.

I don't think you understand what fragmentation means, because it's not synonymous with cross-platform. What you propose already exists, it's called facebook and you don't use it for a reason.

So basically you didn't answer his question, and resorted to calling something you don't understand, or know how to use as "retarded"...?

IllmasterMath

Cancelled
May 16, 2012
So basically you didn't answer his question, and resorted to calling something you don't understand, or know how to use as "retarded"...?

I didn't? 'It just works' was sufficient to defend OS X for how many years? I think we'd be hard pressed among present company to find someone who disagrees with that statement. My answer was succinct: try it. I will not waste my time by attempting to qualify something he admitted to knowing nothing about, and having no experience with or interest in.

What don't I understand about something that I have tried extensively? I don't know how to use? Please. You're offended because my opinion is different from yours. Your entire argument is a red herring based on the fact that I said 'retarded' so I must be some sort of flaming ******* and therefore my point is invalid. Come at me bro.

kayno

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Phelps Land
What we really need is iMessage to be multiplatform and have sms integration on all platforms or and app like google hangouts to have sms integration.

Imagine a web based messaging app with the ability to send an sms if your contact doesn't have have that app? Pure full keyboard text messaging heaven. Drooling as I type.

BBM is more fun than imessage.. Apple needs to expand iMessage features.. it still feels like basic text.. whatsapp is a bit more like bbm

----------

Wow, people forgot how large Blackberry was in its day.

I personally am not leaving iOS and invested more on that platform than probably most people. It wasn't long ago that Blackberry had no evidence that it was dying and look what happened. Perhaps it was just that it took something really far ahead like the iPhone to hurt Blackberry and that Android will never have that much advantage over the iPhone for this to happen again. If iMessage ever comes out for Android, I would prefer it sooner than later. If it never comes out, it won't be the end of the world.

oh there was evidence alright.. I saw the death of blackberry the first time I touched an iPhone.. It was MAGICAL!

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I didn't? 'It just works' was sufficient to defend OS X for how many years? I think we'd be hard pressed among present company to find someone who disagrees with that statement. My answer was succinct: try it. I will not waste my time by attempting to qualify something he admitted to knowing nothing about, and having no experience with or interest in.

What don't I understand about something that I have tried extensively? I don't know how to use? Please. You're offended because my opinion is different from yours. Your entire argument is a red herring based on the fact that I said 'retarded' so I must be some sort of flaming ******* and therefore my point is invalid. Come at me bro.

Ooohhh...tough guy! Come at me bro? Using terms like that, and retarded shows how mature you are, or not in this case.

Not offended at all. I was pointing out that you didn't answer his question. However, you seem quite irritated and offended that someone doesn't share the same enthusiasm for BBM as you do. I used BBM years ago, and it was fine for its time, so as long as you had a BB. However, today there are a number of free alternatives, and plans are throwing in texting for free. So extending BBM to other platforms is nice, but not a necessity...

This is how most people have a conversation. Give/Take, agree to disagree, etc. But if you want to continue the flaming..."Come at me bro!"

Xano

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
5 years ago: awesome!
today: too late, to many messaging systems out there.

mudman2

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2010
I don't know anyone who uses a Blackberrry anymore not even my UK family they are all on iPhones

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Meanwhile at WhatsApp HQ.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 90

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Too late, other messaging services are taking its place

Sorry, there is a lot you're not aware of.

1. other messaging services have tried to duplicate to fill a void, not replace. I'm not just talking about semantics here either.

2. Non of the competition does the following:
Group Chat
- chat
- sharing of media (though limited to 6MB)
- media stays part of that chat or saved on your device/external memory
- Shared Calendar between all members - new or old/left the group (those left have no calendar access for current changes & new additions). This Calendar is separate by default from any others you have, yet CAN be shared to them.
- Alarms and reminders within.
- white boarding.

Proper Sent and Read messages, and no WhatsApp does NOT confirm sent to the other persons device ONLY sent to their servers from your device - check their FAQ for proof.

*NO ADS.

directly message the users device - such like an important hot email or via BBM chat.

Later this year:
BBM Channels
BBM Audio & Video: audio over 3G/WiFi/LTE and with higher voice channel quality than your iPhone. Also share your screen over BBM Video with someone else .. great for helping others or seeing it as they are there: this includes your home screen, emails, chats, applications, photos, etc etc - anything YOU see THEY can see; you are in control.

So tell me again what other messaging services/apps replaced what? ;)

----------

Too little. Too late.

HAHA .. you have no idea do you? ;) They're far ahead of the competition in so many ways you don't even know it. Do some research, you actually might like whats in store.

----------

I wonder if I could figure out/still use my PIN from my BB Storm? :D

PIN's are hardware and on BB devices only. Software pins back when BlackBerry Connect debuted years ago was limited to send only not receive; horrible pilot under restrictive management scope. Now its a simple ID ... you choose your email address and done.

For those that state "Too Little Too late" or "RIM & BB is dead" where do you think this up, or is it all verbatim from what you've heard?

I challenge you to do some research and makeup your own thoughts/minds about this service and give it a try for 24hrs when it gets released officially. Everyone has a right to their thoughts and beliefs, just make sure you're informed to make them and that they're really you're own.

Cheers.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I have a lot of blackberry using contacts in Europe, middle east and rest of the world. This is great.

nrdc

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2013
s-e-c-u-r-i-t-y

BBM only has unique encryption when using its BES enterprise servers (not for consumers). Otherwise it uses a global cryptographic key which is about as secure as regular SMS. iMessage, like BBM over BES, uses unique encryption keys so only the sender and receiver can decrypt messages.

Last edited:

IllmasterMath

Cancelled
May 16, 2012
Ooohhh...tough guy! Come at me bro? Using terms like that, and retarded shows how mature you are, or not in this case.

Not offended at all. I was pointing out that you didn't answer his question. However, you seem quite irritated and offended that someone doesn't share the same enthusiasm for BBM as you do. I used BBM years ago, and it was fine for its time, so as long as you had a BB. However, today there are a number of free alternatives, and plans are throwing in texting for free. So extending BBM to other platforms is nice, but not a necessity...

This is how most people have a conversation. Give/Take, agree to disagree, etc. But if you want to continue the flaming..."Come at me bro!"

My proficieny of grammar and vocabulary would indicate to most cogently-thinking individuals that my immaturity was actually sarcasm. However, I'm not surprised that this was lost on you. Your intention from the start was to demonstrate your superiority and ergo, that of iMessage by undermining my inteligence and credibility. That's an argument ad hominem. That's a logical fallacy.

"You seem irritated" is, for all its poetry, 'UMADBRO?'. That's another red herring. I will concede that being immature is fun, though. So in the spirit of that, I need to go to work where I will use my BlackBerry because I do stuff. Have fun at work tomorrow playing candy crush saga and chatting on your iPad. I'm sure your productivity will bring you great success in the future.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Hangouts doesn't quite have SMS/MMS integration just yet.

Hangouts, in its current version on ios, is garbage. Can't even do something as simple as saving a picture. You can on the Android version.

nrdc

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2013

Hopefully that is the case but they desperately want to monetize this to the point there is even discussion of a subscription model so ads are not out of the question.

Also, many features will be BB-only though that may be a good thing. I know it looks good on paper when you start listing a half-page of features but in use it can quickly become screen and user clutter.

nrdc

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2013
hello

Just joined today. Is it common of this forum for users to begin a message by bragging about grammar and vocabulary skills only to then misspell words and lay down more split-infinitives than there are BB users?

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
My proficieny of grammar and vocabulary would indicate to most cogently-thinking individuals that my immaturity was actually sarcasm. However, I'm not surprised that this was lost on you. Your intention from the start was to demonstrate your superiority and ergo, that of iMessage by undermining my inteligence and credibility. That's an argument ad hominem. That's a logical fallacy.

"You seem irritated" is, for all its poetry, 'UMADBRO?'. That's another red herring. I will concede that being immature is fun, though. So in the spirit of that, I need to go to work where I will use my BlackBerry because I do stuff. Have fun at work tomorrow playing candy crush saga and chatting on your iPad. I'm sure your productivity will bring you great success in the future.

And more flippant replies. Oh, the "I use X and work"; really...that's a pretty tired response. You need new material. Those that go on about how they do work vs. others on a forum usually hold a mid level managers position at Best-Buy. My success? I do quite well thank you. I'm willing to bet I probably make more annually than you do...but that's another argument for another day.

No, most view your posts as I do; not as fun, but being an a$$. You're good at that, as well as being a hypocrite. You go on about red herring's, yet most of your posts are no different.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
With blackberry on the rocks despite new phones os's etc this is not the software people should be switching to. imessage, whatsapp or any of the other apps will have a much longer lifespan than this ever will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.