Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Please just stop. You clearly don't have a grasp on the issue,

Dude,
If logging out of iMessage/turningit off before getting risk of it is a rigmarole, then these users deserve the issue. common sense for a normal user is when he/she gets rid of a phone, he/she should reset the damn thing to remove personal stuffs in there.
BTW, If it's a bug, it should happen on every phone not just a few.

wutang07x

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2014
It's funny because i've actually had more spam with BBM on my iPhone than I have with iMessage. In the form of random foreign contacts(usually from India) trying to add me. It's happened a few times where as I've never had a single spam message through iMessage.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
To everyone who says they don't get spam, good for you. I'm happy for you. You're lucky. But that does not mean the problem doesn't exist. It does. It's annoying. And apple has provided very very very little support to users that are affected to fix the problem.

One iPhone, two iPads, a couple or three macs and an iPod touch. Don't think I've ever gotten a SPAM iMessage. Now I'm not a heavy iMessage user but honestly is looking like this is due to two things

A small number of users get a hell of a lot of it
The large proportion of iPhone users is skewing the results. As far as BB if you are only 2% of the market then you'll likely get 2% of the SPAM. Apple is what 30% or so of the cell phones out there? Oh will you look at that, that's about their perportion of the SPAM.

Funny how that works out.

Last edited:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
On my iOS devices the only spam (SMS) I get is from my bloody mobile phone company wanting to sell me tickets to rock concerts and other local events. They change their ID so blacklisting them doesn't work....

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
WoW. Sorry bro. Not trying to pick on you or call you out or anything, but this garbage has to be traceable back to something... like entering some kind of promotion or contest online, buying an iPhone case at a mall kiosk and filling out some sort of form or having your phone number listed with some (unbeknownst to you) sub-ethical website or something. Can't just be random. That's my two cents. :cool:

I know. This specific spamming is actually pretty spread. Lots of people on these forums mentioning the Oakley/rayban promotion spam through iMessage.

Usually very careful with my info. Have no idea how they got it.

Wish there was a way to tell which account they were sending to (my gmail, iCloud or phone number...)

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Thats how deep Blackberry has fallen, going from a major phone company with its own mobile plattform (that corporations loved), to now only being a messenger app! (Not even an important messenger compared to whatsapp, facebook etc)

In 5-10 years we will only hear about blackberry in museums, i hope the owners of the company realize that too and soon try to sell the company to get some $$$ out of it before it disappears completely.

I am stunned they haven't done that already.

The writing has been on the wall for them for the last 4 years if not longer.

Now they are losing more of the enterprise market every year so it is time to sell the pattens and move on.

----------

Those are all iMessages.

Why would you use your email for iMessage?

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
They pretty much made it out like if you are being spammed via iMessage, you are screwed. Couldn't you make a contact for the spammer and put them under the blocked list so you don't get the spam anymore?

PocketSand11

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2014
~/
... Although I have to admit, this was pretty hilarious lolol

There was also that time when I got email spam from China asking for my personal info, sent the Bonzi Buddy installer back as "my info.exe", and got a big "**** YOUUUUUUUU!!!!" as a response :D

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
BBM is a good messaging system. Many powerful features. Yes, most if not all are coming to iOS 8, but they aren't here yet and they won't be cross platform when they come to iOS. Not an issue in the US because EVERYONE seems to be on iOS. But there shouldn't be any hate toward BBM.

I've got about as many Apple products as anyone. But for messaging I tend to use my Blackberry before my iPhone (and way before my iPad Mini).

No way any hardware Blackberry can make will compete with iPhone 6. So I suspect my messaging habits will change once I upgrade my 5 to an i6.

And yes I get iMessege spam. Got a sneaky one claiming to be from Facebook the other day. It wanted me to reset my Facebook password.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
because they were, you have to put it in context what was out there back when they at their peak, there was not much comparable out there. Of course looking today at them and comparing it with todays technology will make one wonder, but times and available technologies used to be different.

They were never cool. They had one thing that nobody else could offer at the time: A secure, reliable push email system.

Their PIM functionality and browsing sucked. And while they made some advances in that regard over the years, they just didn't "get it."

Once enterprise push email was available from the iPhone and other devices BB's death warrant was signed.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I don't like the word "architected." I've never heard it before and it sounds bad. It's probably grammatically correct but I am terrified it's going to become a corporate buzzword. More than don't like I absolutely hate it. Please God let it die here.

afferennen

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
I'm getting extremely frustrated with the writings of Juli Clover. She seems to take the majority of her stories based on if it negatively affects Apple. This is spinning news and needs to not exist if MacRumors wants to be a proponent of real journalism.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I use a BlackBerry and I don't even use BBM hahaha. BB10 is an amazing operating system, but I just don't see the point in these little "free messaging" apps and functions with cheap unlimited text messaging available outside of very specific circumstances.

One big thing iMessage has over the others - it's automatic. So while not all that useful you don't have to really do anything with it, it just happens.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Were you ok with the story a couple of weeks ago on the front page from the "apple journalist"?

I'm getting extremely frustrated with the writings of Juli Clover. She seems to take the majority of her stories based on if it negatively affects Apple. This is spinning news and needs to not exist if MacRumors wants to be a proponent of real journalism.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
I'm confused. There's no way iMessage users account for more than 30% of all "text" messages. So, if that's true, wouldn't iMessages account for a lower percentage of spam than non-iMessages? What percent of the marketshare of text messages are iMessages? I haven't had an iPhone for 2 years so I'm unbiased here.

...and I've definitely gotten more spam on my Galaxy S4 than my previous iPhones.

jimmirehman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
Here is a better idea. In the US it seems to be the consumer VS the Provider, why not all the Cell phone Manufacturers integrate their IM services with each other (imessage to BBM) and video services (skype to Facetime) and make it seemless for the user.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Last resorts of a dying company. Mediocre hardware, pathetic & ugly new operating system. I don't care if they have better security, I can't wait till enterprise ditches them completely. This is what happens when you can't properly adapt with our ever-evolving technology.

Ditto, hate companies with better security!!!!

So...... Tell me more of this evolution that laughs in the face of security ....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.