Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
Sorry to reactivate this old thread but are the given URLs that need to be blocked still accurate?

I'm sick of the nagging and the constant "upgrades" and want to make sure that our mobile devices in the house don't automatically download iOS8 and waste space on our 16GB iphones and iPads.

mesu.apple.com
appldnld.apple.com

Thanks

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You only need to block mesu.apple.com. Do not block appldnld.apple.com. Blocking appldnld.apple.com will cause problems accessing Apple content.

Sonicmojo

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
You only need to block mesu.apple.com. Do not block appldnld.apple.com. Blocking appldnld.apple.com will cause problems accessing Apple content.

Excellent. My block is back in place. We are all fine with 7.12 right now and do not need the hassle.

Cheers,

Sonic

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
This does not matter. You can connect to ANY wifi anywhere - just do not plug your device into hard power with WIFI active.

SOnic.

This isn't entirely accurate. iOS will still download the com_apple_MobileAsset_SoftwareUpdate.xml from Apple that outlines all available iOS updates a few times a day. If you are connected to a WiFi network that allows it to access mesu.apple.com, it will download the XML and present you with a prompt to update if an update is available for your version of iOS. It won't download the iOS update file unless it is connected to a power source.

Sonicmojo

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
This isn't entirely accurate. iOS will still download the com_apple_MobileAsset_SoftwareUpdate.xml from Apple that outlines all available iOS updates a few times a day. If you are connected to a WiFi network that allows it to access mesu.apple.com, it will download the XML and present you with a prompt to update if an update is available for your version of iOS. It won't download the iOS update file unless it is connected to a power source.

I am not seeing this at all. I have an iPhone 5s and connect to three different networks daily (Home - in which mesu.apple.com is blocked) and two different ones at the office (presumably not blocked).

Not to mention all the other WIFI networks at malls, coffee shops etc etc. I have received no prompts, no badges on the Settings icon or anything else. And nothing on the iPad either.

Sonic

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
What's happening to you is that the iOS device is not checking for the update at the time it is connected to those networks and only when it is connected to the network with the blocked sub domain.

Sonicmojo

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
What's happening to you is that the iOS device is not checking for the update at the time it is connected to those networks and only when it is connected to the network with the blocked sub domain.

Not exactly certain how the device would NEVER check for the update when I am at the office for 8 hours at a clip or never check when I am out and about.

But - ironic twist - as soon as I typed that update earlier this morning - while I was here at the house on my WIFI network - I suddenly got a badge on my phone!

Found out that my phone was connected via our D-link network extender (which gives us better coverage on the top floor of the house) AND Not our main router WIFI.

Even tho I have this device listed amongst the group of devices (by MAC address) that I want to be BLOCKED from mesu.apple.com on the router - this device still seemed to reach the update destination somehow and now I am "infected".

Can I just delete that XML file to get rid of this crap?

And any tips on blocking the extender so it cannot reach mesu.apple.com?

Sonic.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You cannot remove the badge without updating. The D-Link box may have its own DNS settings on it causing it to resolve the actual URL to the correct IP address.

Sonicmojo

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2013
You cannot remove the badge without updating. The D-Link box may have its own DNS settings on it causing it to resolve the actual URL to the correct IP address.

But the d-link box has to go thru my main router to do anything. I am bridging this thing to my main router and do not understand how it is not honoring the block. I checked the DNS settings on this thing and it is pointing directly to the main router.

Sonic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.