Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
The only known non-invasive glucometer (not available in the US) has a clinical deviance of 30%. Sorry, but there's no viable and reliable method of monitoring blood glucose without a finger stick. Maybe someday...

Auszero

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2009
There is currently no non-invasive way. A company called Dexcom has a sensor and transmitter that you wear that can send data to the phone and thus the watch that tracks blood glucose level every 5 minutes. I have one as I am a type 1 diabetic. Its obviously developed for diabetics more than those casually interested in blood sugar levels. Dexcom and Google are working together to develop a wearable bandage to measure levels but that is 2-3 years out.

rogerram

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
Deepings, UK
Hi,

I am interested in this thread because I love Apple Products & have been insulin dependant diabetic for over 50 years. I do not have an Apple watch, but quite fancy its fitness aspects.

We are from UK but have retired to France partly for health reasons-good walking, a pool & great wine from the local co-operatives!

I have found the following info about non-invasive blood-sugar testing & have applied to be included in their clinical trials,
http://www.gluco-wise.com . Their product looks amazing.

All the best,

Roger

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
There is currently no non-invasive way. A company called Dexcom has a sensor and transmitter that you wear that can send data to the phone and thus the watch that tracks blood glucose level every 5 minutes. I have one as I am a type 1 diabetic. Its obviously developed for diabetics more than those casually interested in blood sugar levels. Dexcom and Google are working together to develop a wearable bandage to measure levels but that is 2-3 years out.

I've often wondered why insulin pumps don't have a built-in glucometer. It would essentially be an artificial pancreas. If you're already hooked into a small machine, why can't it do both?

Reactions: rogerram

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
I've often wondered why insulin pumps don't have a built-in glucometer. It would essentially be an artificial pancreas. If you're already hooked into a small machine, why can't it do both?

I believe insulin pumps only inject insulin, they don't take in blood (which would make them a lot riskier to use.) That's why they can't easily measure blood glucose level directly.

Auszero

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2009

My pump actually has a glucometer built into it but uses a traditional finger prick blood sample. A company called Animas has a pump that incorporates the Dexcom device into it. However it does not talk to the pump side of things. All that is still done manually. Most likely the reason being that these companies don't want to be liable if someone goes into hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) because they did something their automated pump response did know about. There are companies working on devices like that though. They have separate pump to supply glucose to raise your blood sugar as to remedy any hypoglycemia. There is a couple on the East Coast who have hacked their devices to talk to one another to create a device you're talking about with great results. You can see their blog about it here.

Reactions: CobraPA

clg82

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Southern California
My pump actually has a glucometer built into it but uses a traditional finger prick blood sample. A company called Animas has a pump that incorporates the Dexcom device into it. However it does not talk to the pump side of things. All that is still done manually. Most likely the reason being that these companies don't want to be liable if someone goes into hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) because they did something their automated pump response did know about. There are companies working on devices like that though. They have separate pump to supply glucose to raise your blood sugar as to remedy any hypoglycemia. There is a couple on the East Coast who have hacked their devices to talk to one another to create a device you're talking about with great results. You can see their blog about it here.

what pump are you using with the dexcom app? I am currently using the animas ping and am about due for an upgrade and would like to go with something that also communicates with my watch if possible....thanks for any help!

Auszero

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2009
what pump are you using with the dexcom app? I am currently using the animas ping and am about due for an upgrade and would like to go with something that also communicates with my watch if possible....thanks for any help!

I actually don't use the an Animas system. Im on an Omnipod which is the tubeless pump. Omnipod is supposed to integrate the Dexcom system some time in 2016. I think most pump manufactures are trying to achieve that at this point. The Animas Vibe is the pump that incorporates the Dexcom. I don't think it's currently available in the US. It won't support watch integration as it doesn't have bluetooth. It won't support the G5 Dexcom system either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.