Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Dual 1.8 G5 tower, maxed RAM, FireGL X3 graphics: been working as a file server over for four weeks now, that's four weeks uptime. No hitches. The thing has operated like a boss, my main computer is now a 2007 15" MBP with an intermittently-faulty NVIDIA 8600M GT GPU [WindowServer likes to crash when I demand more than 128MB of VRAM], but I get no lag with iTunes or photos or anything when doing those things over gigiabit Ethernet.

Still feels kind of underused, the machine can drive two displays at over 1080p, and right now it's doing a great job even though the boot drive is a crappy 80GB ~2005 era thing [the SSD went to the MBP], but still, it's sitting there, heating my walk-in-robe, a beast of a GPU, 7 USB 2.0 ports [formerly 11], now it just sits there serving up iTunes, movies, photos, backups, and external HDs.

Just posting to say that if you've got a good, high end PPC Mac, hold onto it. I even have a Digital Audio G4, it's got a USB 2 PCI card, that makes a hell of a difference, not to mention to Radeon 9600 XT GPU. These machines can still serve a good purpose, not to mention that winter is starting to bite over here and it's nice to have a place to get changed nice and warm ;):apple:

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
There, I fixed it for you.

Wow, do you even what the previous poster is talking about here?

The power supply for the dual 1.8 is 350KW, therefore its maximum power consumption would be 350KWh. KWh is a measure of power used and gigawatts is just a measure of power. How could a 350KW PSU even at 50% efficiency require 1.22GW?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

The power supply for the dual 1.8 is 350KW, therefore its maximum power consumption would be 350KWh. KWh is a measure of power used and gigawatts is just a measure of power. How could a 350KW PSU even at 50% efficiency require 1.22GW?

Sorry but you are also wrong, 350KW, man that is a lot, that is the same as 3500 (100 Watt) light bulbs!

I don't know that particular PowerMac but I guess it must be 350 Watts.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
There, I fixed it for you.

You are probably not far off (Yearly consumption)

If it uses Maximum power 24/7 and the power supply is 350W then:

350 W X 24 X 365 = 3066000 Watts/h = 3066 KW/h = ~3 GW/h

But, the power Supply is always bigger than needed and the PM is not on Max 24/7 so I guess your near.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007

No no no, not 1.22, it was 1.21 gigawatts...

Nameci

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2010
The Philippines...
Sorry but you are also wrong, 350KW, man that is a lot, that is the same as 3500 (100 Watt) light bulbs!

I don't know that particular PowerMac but I guess it must be 350 Watts.

yes you are right it is 350W.

----------

No no no, not 1.22, it was 1.21 gigawatts...

I have not computed it if it is running 24/7 365 days, it is maybe if it is on full load which is hardly. That number is still highly debatable. The typical LCD flatscreen TV is around 250W as far as I can remember.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007
I have not computed it if it is running 24/7 365 days, it is maybe if it is on full load which is hardly. That number is still highly debatable. The typical LCD flatscreen TV is around 250W as far as I can remember.

I recommend that you use that nice TV to watch "Back to the Future".

While the 1.21 gigawatts figure might not be as important as for example 42, it is a pretty common cultural reference. What I am trying to tell you is that that particular combination of value and (often misplaced) unit is something one should think twice about before taking seriously...

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
How much is your electricity bill.:p;):eek:

Sorry for the OT,

the amount of electric energy used on computers (or incandescent light bulbs for that matter) has to be put into perspective.

I live at: 60°10′15″N and 60°38′10″N respectively.

Up here in the north, we've been quite annoyed with EU (the geographical centre being at 50°10′21″N) regulation demanding the gradual ban of incandescent light bulbs.

In our case, only a few normal dwellings utilize air conditioning and conversely, we use heating for 38-44 weeks per year. In those kinds of situations the heat produced by lighting or computers is often not a waste, but even an added benefit. And only in the case of data centers do we ever need to compensate for the heat produced by computers with any active cooling or air conditioning.

In fact, due to the "favourable" climate, many companies are moving their data centers northward (Google Hamina datacentre, CSC Kajaani datacentre)

That's not to say that I do not care how much electricity a computer uses, but it is far less of a factor.

All this said, I'm looking for a decently priced 2007 mini to take over from my DP MDD...

RGDS,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.