Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
Anyone notice that text seems blotchy or bold or just kind of thick? I've played with the anti-aliasing options but they don't seem to change much.

Qianlong

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2004
I've got this with Firefox, sometimes the text just gets mudded or turned into bold text. It goes away with a refresh, but still annoying.

ati 7500 vid card + vga Sony E500 CRT

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
I had some issues with that in 10.3.8 and .9 with Firefox, too... but haven't seen it since I upgraded to Tiger (although this might be because I have been using Safari since the upgrade, and only a couple of hours ago got my Fox back...;))

12" iBook G4@800, 640 MB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I've seen that problem on my system too (Radeon 9800) but can't recall which apps it was in. It wasn't in Firefox though, I don't have it.

leosantos

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2005
Yup

The main lines in any of my Safari windows are definitely bold and slightly blotchy. I can't seem to be able to get it to the way it was in Panther either, neither through Sys Prefs or Safari Appearance pref. Anyone figure this one out yet?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
dferrara said:
Anyone notice that text seems blotchy or bold or just kind of thick? I've played with the anti-aliasing options but they don't seem to change much.

Did you reboot after turning it off? It was on by default by my iBook, and once I disabled, I had to reboot for the anti-aliasing changes to take effect.

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
Macromedia Flash has some text on tabs that get this way.. but I'm not sure if it did this too back in Panther.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 30, 2004
yg17 said:
Did you reboot after turning it off? It was on by default by my iBook, and once I disabled, I had to reboot for the anti-aliasing changes to take effect.

Thanks for the tip, I haven't restarted yet.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
did you try going into system preferences >>> appearence >>> font smoothing style

and change it to something else? I had to change mine from the Medium to the Standard and that made fonts look better

leosantos

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2005
Ah, beautiful...

eva01 said:
did you try going into system preferences >>> appearence >>> font smoothing style

and change it to something else? I had to change mine from the Medium to the Standard and that made fonts look better

Yup, that did the trick for me. Odd, since Standard is supposedly better for CRT and I'm on a Powerbook. But whatever works...

Thanks, Eva.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.