Blotchy text in Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Demon Hunter, May 6, 2005.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Anyone notice that text seems blotchy or bold or just kind of thick? I've played with the anti-aliasing options but they don't seem to change much.

2. Qianlong macrumors regular

I've got this with Firefox, sometimes the text just gets mudded or turned into bold text. It goes away with a refresh, but still annoying.

ati 7500 vid card + vga Sony E500 CRT

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I had some issues with that in 10.3.8 and .9 with Firefox, too... but haven't seen it since I upgraded to Tiger (although this might be because I have been using Safari since the upgrade, and only a couple of hours ago got my Fox back...;))

12" iBook G4@800, 640 MB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9200

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've seen that problem on my system too (Radeon 9800) but can't recall which apps it was in. It wasn't in Firefox though, I don't have it.

5. leosantos macrumors newbie

Yup

The main lines in any of my Safari windows are definitely bold and slightly blotchy. I can't seem to be able to get it to the way it was in Panther either, neither through Sys Prefs or Safari Appearance pref. Anyone figure this one out yet?

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Did you reboot after turning it off? It was on by default by my iBook, and once I disabled, I had to reboot for the anti-aliasing changes to take effect.

7. michaelltd macrumors regular

michaelltd

Macromedia Flash has some text on tabs that get this way.. but I'm not sure if it did this too back in Panther.

8. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the tip, I haven't restarted yet.

9. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

No luck... it's still very thick, especially in Safari. :rolleyes:

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

did you try going into system preferences >>> appearence >>> font smoothing style

and change it to something else? I had to change mine from the Medium to the Standard and that made fonts look better

11. leosantos macrumors newbie

Ah, beautiful...

Yup, that did the trick for me. Odd, since Standard is supposedly better for CRT and I'm on a Powerbook. But whatever works...

Thanks, Eva.