Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
I don't know about what what do you guys think but this is what I think. With Sony releasing the VAIO RC310 desktop with a Blu-Ray burner which costs $2,249 and happens to be in the same high end price catagory as the PowerMac I STRONGLY believe that the upcoming Mac Pro WILL have a Blu-Ray burner. Although it may not be standard on the low end configuration I do not see how the high end model that costs $3000+ will not have a Blu-Ray drive. Plus you all know the Intel iMac is pretty damn good and Apple needs another reason to seperate their Pro machine which also happens to be focused on creating and editing HD content. Mark my words, some or possibly all configurations of the new Intel Mac Pro WILL have a Blu-Ray burner come WWDC.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INT...?CategoryName=cpu_preRC_Series&Dept=computers

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
Hmmm...almost, but I think that the Blu-Ray drive will have to be connected to a software update (at least for the pro apps like Final Cut) that offers Blu-Ray authoring capability.

I don't see a Blu-Ray burner arriving before Apple has their own software solution to use it -- it's just not Apple's way.

That said, my guess is that introducing this capacity is not a real techological hurdle. So Blu-Ray may arrive this year -- but it may not. My bet is on 2007.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Since OEM BluRay drives are priced at $1000 or more I'd rather they use that budget and beef up the powermac with somthing far more worthwhile and useful, or give us all quads...

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
silence said:
What's blue-ray? :confused:

you need to get out of the house more often :p

Blu-ray Disc
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Blue-ray)
Jump to: navigation, search
Official Blu-ray Disc logo

A Blu-ray Disc (BD) is a next-generation optical disc format meant for high-density storage of high-definition video and data. The Blu-ray standard was jointly developed by a group of consumer electronics and PC companies called the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA), spearheaded by Sony. It is currently competing with the HD DVD format for wide adoption as the preferred next generation optical standard.

The name Blu-ray is derived from the blue-violet laser it uses to read and write to the disc. A Blu-ray Disc will be able to store substantially more data than a DVD, because of the shorter wavelength (405 nm) of the blue-violet laser (DVDs use a 650-nm-wavelength red laser and CDs an infrared 780 nm laser), which allows more information to be stored digitally in the same amount of space. In comparison to HD DVD, which also uses a blue laser, Blu-ray has more information capacity per layer (25 gigabytes instead of 15) but may initially be more expensive to produce.

The Blu-ray Disc Association unveiled their plans for a May 23, 2006 release date at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in January 2006. Since then, Blu-ray was delayed, but finally shipped in the U.S. on June 20, 2006.[1]

NYmacAttack

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2005
NY
poppe said:
If they had a 2 dual core woody and blue-ray. Wouldn't that get super super expensive even for Apple?

I would think they would keep these blue-ray drives as an (expensive) option.

iShane

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2006
New York -> SF
Counterfit said:
Anyways, I think they'll introduce it as an option first, just like they did with the first SuperDrives.

That's what I think too, if they even decide to make it an option. If they do as NYmacAttack it will be an expensive option.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Best case senario: It'll be a BTO option.

however, we must remember that neither format, Blu-ray or HD-DVD is a clear choice yet, Apple will and probably should sit this out until one format is more standardized than the other. They have pledged support for neither but have shown interest in both. IMO they need to give it time to show which format is going to be the more mature and developed of the two on a mass market scale.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC

Attachments

• Blu-Ray Supportors.jpg
    Blu-Ray Supportors.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 59

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.