Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
How will this kind of optical drive impact the battery life?
If it is not very efficient then Apple will never consider it, they are already making a lot of money without the optical drives = MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro; and if the battery is negatively affected they will never adopt it.
Please don't get me wrong, I do wish that they include a BluRay drive option for the next MacBook Pros.

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
How will this kind of optical drive impact the battery life?
If it is not very efficient then Apple will never consider it, they are already making a lot of money without the optical drives = MacBook Air and Retina MacBook Pro; and if the battery is negatively affected they will never adopt it.
Please don't get me wrong, I do wish that they include a BluRay drive option for the next MacBook Pros.

I think apple doesn't use blu ray drives because they don't own the proprietary rights to it. Sony does, and Apple would have to pay I am pretty sure to use it.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I think apple doesn't use blu ray drives because they don't own the proprietary rights to it. Sony does, and Apple would have to pay I am pretty sure to use it.

It will not be the first nor the last time to do something like it, they got the 3.5" floppy disks from Sony when the first Mac came out.

And yes, they don't want it but for promoting their iTunes videos, very crippling for the Macs though.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
why not just rip the movie that you own and watch the file?
Lower quality, duh.
Quite visible drop in quality too.
Actually, Apple is purposefully not including Blu-ray because it would prompt Mac users to buy more Blu-ray instead of digital downloads from iTunes. And the fact that Steve Jobs considered Blu-ray outdated.
It's a shame.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
I rip all my BR as a straight rip without compressing. no drop in quality at all. I didnt realize people actually used compression on BR rips anymore.

Polska

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
Rio de Janeiro - RJ
RIF - beta versions of DVDFab Media Player are free for 30/60 days. Updates happen more frequently than that so you should be good to go for quite sometime.

Forgive my ignorance but where I can download the beta version? The link you send is for the full software with a trial of 30 days. I downloaded it and it was not able to install here, maybe because is incompatible with 10.8, I would say.

Thanks!

Sir Al

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
I find it a shame at times that Apple is leading in some technologies (thunderbolt, display) but behind in others (blu-ray, usb 3.0). I realize sometimes it's for political, strategic or Steve Jobs reasons, but it makes me sometimes feel partially outdated while partially cutting edge - at the same time.

Speaking of Steve Jobs, I had another episode of multiple dreams inside dreams where in one of the dreams I started to work for Apple and spent the entire first day with Steve Jobs, young Steve Jobs with his long, black hair. Apparently he spends the first day with every employee in my dream, sometimes not the whole day depending on how he judges the person, sometimes people get fired... I was nervous at first, but he made me feel very comfortable and I contributed some ideas. He was marvellously clever and knowledgable in my dream, quizzing me on deep topics on economics, mathematics, physics, marketing, even movies and theatre. Sometimes I was so stumped but managed to recover by highlighting my other strengths that make up for my weaknesses. Near the end I was so amazed at his intellectual capacity that I felt extremely happy to be working there at which point my brain worked better answering Job's questions. At the end he said that I he was impressed by me (or something like that), that I had good eye sight (attention to detail), but quickly pointed out all my flaws and things I needed to work on (in almost every aspect of my life, sometimes quite personal) to keep me humble. It was quite an enlightening dream. I woke up from it noticing only 2 hours had passed and realized I that I had this dream because my first day of Apple was supposed to be tomorrow... but then I woke up again and realized that I wasn't even working for Apple (dream inside dream).

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Lower quality, duh.
Quite visible drop in quality too.

There shouldn't if you just rip the stream directly into an MKV. The stream itself should be bit-for-bit identical to the the one on the disc. If you reencode to save space, then of course there'll be a quality drop.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
@OP: Thank you very much for pointing out this drive. A few months ago I was looking for one, searched for 2 whole days unsuccessfully... Those things are very rare.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
why not just rip the movie that you own and watch the file?
Well you need a Blu-ray drive to do that in the first place, the legality of doing so is questionable (breaking AACS) and the films can be approaching 50GB in size if you don't compress them.

Considering that the maximum storage you can have in a MacBook Pro with a Blu-ray drive is 1TB, that's a problem.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
Lol @ people who still buy physical media.

LOL @ people who buy over-compressed, under-performing digital downloads and think they're getting the same quality as physical media. :p

----------

Forgive my ignorance but where I can download the beta version? The link you send is for the full software with a trial of 30 days. I downloaded it and it was not able to install here, maybe because is incompatible with 10.8, I would say.

Thanks!

More info here: http://forum.dvdfab.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Would it make sense to just get the 220$ one that only reads, since you can only get the most out of BR by watching it off the disk? Considering that when you rip and compress your losing quality, and most BR disk come with a DVD digital copy or something like that? I just don't know what justifies a 180$ price difference (other than it writes)???

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
i find it a shame at times that apple is leading in some technologies (thunderbolt, display) but behind in others (blu-ray, usb 3.0). I realize sometimes it's for political, strategic or steve jobs reasons, but it makes me sometimes feel partially outdated while partially cutting edge - at the same time.
he believed usb 3.0 was outdated and thunderbolt would be the new standard. However, prices are ridiculous for thunderbolt products. The mass base of consumers weren't ready to upgrade yet. Also, blu-ray to him was out-dated and seemed as if it would only last a few years. Apparently, there is a new standard coming soon. Things like him not supporting flash has enlightened adobe towards html5.
speaking of steve jobs, i had another episode of multiple dreams inside dreams where in one of the dreams i started to work for apple and spent the entire first day with steve jobs, young steve jobs with his long, black hair. Apparently he spends the first day with every employee in my dream, sometimes not the whole day depending on how he judges the person, sometimes people get fired... I was nervous at first, but he made me feel very comfortable and i contributed some ideas. He was marvellously clever and knowledgable in my dream, quizzing me on deep topics on economics, mathematics, physics, marketing, even movies and theatre. Sometimes i was so stumped but managed to recover by highlighting my other strengths that make up for my weaknesses. Near the end i was so amazed at his intellectual capacity that i felt extremely happy to be working there at which point my brain worked better answering job's questions. At the end he said that i he was impressed by me (or something like that), that i had good eye sight (attention to detail), but quickly pointed out all my flaws and things i needed to work on (in almost every aspect of my life, sometimes quite personal) to keep me humble. It was quite an enlightening dream. I woke up from it noticing only 2 hours had passed and realized i that i had this dream because my first day of apple was supposed to be tomorrow... But then i woke up again and realized that i wasn't even working for apple (dream inside dream).
inception
:d

breakbeet808

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2012
One option for internal blu-ray

Here you go. Took the risk, and it paid off. Here's how you can get a blu-ray reader or writer internally on macbook pro. just shot two videos briefly explaining the procedure. Be sure to read the text for additional instructions! Hope this helps...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MW4I2cXmMg&feature=plcp
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXCQWh1Y4BM&feature=plcp

I absolutely love the quality of blu-ray. "HD" streaming can not compete with this level of image quality. Here's hoping Blu-Ray will stick around for those of us who care about quality.

The UJ267 burner is currently priced at $399 but the blu-ray read-only drive UJ167 is about half that.. making it somewhat reasonable.

icstoo

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Works (just)...

Hi there, just thought I would provide some hands on experience of one of these drives. I bought a UJ-167 (BD reader/DVD-RW) and fitted it to a MBP17 2011. I've only burned DVD's and CD's and ripped BD in OSX, but use it with Bootcamp in order to watch Blu-ray movies on the road - one word of warning: I hoped this would just work under Windows with some Bluray software (tried PowerDVD Ultra and WinDVD Pro) and neither worked, saying that the AACS key was expired (?) and there was no way I could update it. It's easy enough to get around this by running AnyDVD HD, which circumvents this and lets you watch Blu-rays (which look fab btw). Not a massive problem, but adds extra $$ to overall cost.

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Here you go. Took the risk, and it paid off. Here's how you can get a blu-ray reader or writer internally on macbook pro. just shot two videos briefly explaining the procedure. Be sure to read the text for additional instructions! Hope this helps...

and

I absolutely love the quality of blu-ray. "HD" streaming can not compete with this level of image quality. Here's hoping Blu-Ray will stick around for those of us who care about quality.

The UJ267 burner is currently priced at $399 but the blu-ray read-only drive UJ167 is about half that.. making it somewhat reasonable.

Hi there, just thought I would provide some hands on experience of one of these drives. I bought a UJ-167 (BD reader/DVD-RW) and fitted it to a MBP17 2011. I've only burned DVD's and CD's and ripped BD in OSX, but use it with Bootcamp in order to watch Blu-ray movies on the road - one word of warning: I hoped this would just work under Windows with some Bluray software (tried PowerDVD Ultra and WinDVD Pro) and neither worked, saying that the AACS key was expired (?) and there was no way I could update it. It's easy enough to get around this by running AnyDVD HD, which circumvents this and lets you watch Blu-rays (which look fab btw). Not a massive problem, but adds extra $$ to overall cost.

What to you think about the UJ-167 fitting inside a 2012 13" MBP? Shoul all be the same. Right?

MaxPower72

macrumors 6502

and

I'm seriously considering buying this drive and install it in my MBP.

I checked the video you made and I have a question: once you swap the tops, the BRD has the Superdrive one screwed back on, right? so do can you show how it secured back in place?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.