Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silverback66

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2005
CO
I was wondering if anyone who owns or has used this microphone could tell me whether or not it would work as a dialogue replacement mic for movies? There's too much white noise in my films even when using a Sennheiser mic and I really need something so I can go back and dub over the original audio track.

macbodock

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Mostly Harmless
silverback66 said:
I was wondering if anyone who owns or has used this microphone could tell me whether or not it would work as a dialogue replacement mic for movies? There's too much white noise in my films even when using a Sennheiser mic and I really need something so I can go back and dub over the original audio track.
silverback66,
I own a B.L.U.E. SnowBall and use it in my home studio. I don't know the ins and out of movie production, however you can use a USB microphone anywhere you would use a regular microphone. I don't see why you couldn't use either the SnowBall or the C0U1 to dub over the original audio track. The trick is getting your software to recognize a USB microphone. If you would like to hear the SnowBall in action, I have some voiceover demo's on my site. Take a listen link removed. I hope this answers your question. If you have any additional questions, I will do my best to help out.

Warmest Regards,

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I went through hell many times trying to record vocals in my home studio.

Waiting till everyone was asleep, kicking the pets outside and turning off the heatpump, washer, dryer etc and I still needed a noise gate.

You might consider getting a tube pre-amp to help warm up your vocals,
some very reasonable one's include a digital I/O as well.

You can find them in all price ranges with variable features .

macbodock

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Mostly Harmless
FFTT said:
I went through hell many times trying to record vocals in my home studio.
Waiting till everyone was asleep, kicking the pets outside and turning off the heatpump, washer, dryer etc and I still needed a noise gate.

You might consider getting a tube pre-amp to help warm up your vocals,
some very reasonable one's include a digital I/O as well.

You can find them in all price ranges with variable features .
FFTT,
So you used a B.L.U.E. SnowBall? Then you know about the 3 position swith on the back? And you also know that Position 2 engages the Cardioid Capsule with a –10db pad? Correct? Then I do not understand your post regarding this microphone.

Wamest Regards,

macbodock

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Mostly Harmless
FFTT said:
Unfortunately, I have not had the pleasure of trying the Blue Snowball.
My input was based more on the issue of overcoming noise problems encountered in home project studios.
FFTT,
Thanks for the clarification. I use the SnowBall in my home with little or no background noise. I use it with the switch in postion 2 that engages the -10db pad. This is to be used in loud situations or for screamers, but the really cool thing is when I use it my home it cuts down on all the background noise leaving just a hint of reverb, then I add a little compression and I am good to go.

Warmest Regards,

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
I just read the info about the BLUE Snowball at musiciansfriend.com
and must admit that it looks very attractive, especially for the price.

With USB direct in without the need for an interface, tis looks like a great way to record into your system on a budget.

I guess my previous line of thinking was based more on whether the thread author needed a better mike or needed a better way to control the background noise.
Therefore thinking that a better mike would pick up even more noise.

As far as I know musiciansfriend.com has a great return policy,
so if you're not satisfied with the results within the grace period, you can return it for refund or exchange.

macbodock

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2005
Mostly Harmless
FFTT said:
I just read the info about the BLUE Snowball at musiciansfriend.com
and must admit that it looks very attractive, especially for the price.

With USB direct in without the need for an interface, tis looks like a great way to record into your system on a budget.

I guess my previous line of thinking was based more on whether the thread author needed a better mike or needed a better way to control the background noise.
Therefore thinking that a better mike would pick up even more noise.

As far as I know musiciansfriend.com has a great return policy,
so if you're not satisfied with the results within the grace period, you can return it for refund or exchange.
FFTT,
Here is some more reading material for you. Check out the MacIntouch Audio section, they have posted a review that I wrote. I would tell you to go to the Blue Microphone website( http://www.bluemic.com ), but it has been down for several weeks. They have also posted a review for the C01U from Samson and you can read it here. Dr. Mac has posted his thoughts on the B.L.U.E. Snowball here. If you have any other questions, I would be more than happy to answer.

Warmest Regards,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.