Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Except for the worms targeting jailbroken iOS devices or the fact that the jaibroken apps haven't been reviewed by Apple for potential virus and privacy concerns.

Are you talking about the SSH thing? That was because people installed OpenSSH and left the password as "alpine", the default. And the act of jailbreaking itself does not install any apps. Just be careful what apps you install. The emulators I have and Terminal can't really have security holes unless they are deliberate trojans.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Are you talking about the SSH thing? That was because people installed OpenSSH and left the password as "alpine", the default.

So jailbreaking did open a security hole in that case. ;) If the device hadn't been jailbroken, there would have been no exposed remote access with "alpine" as the default password.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
So jailbreaking did open a security hole in that case. ;) If the device hadn't been jailbroken, there would have been no exposed remote access with "alpine" as the default password.

No, because SSH was enabled by users installing an app (well actually nothing with GUI) after jailbreaking. The app was on Cydia and still is but with warnings to change the password now. By the way, Apple actually set that default password. I know because my cousin and I jailbroke his iPod touch 2nd gen using Terminal back in the day.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Cool! Even though this wouldn't have any real practical purpose for me, but it would still be fun to have access to Android apps, just to mess around... Glad someone thought of this...

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Now all we need is a Mac OS X emulator on Android... Then you might guess what I'm thinking.

yo%20dawg%20-%20dog%20-%20xzhibit.png

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Cool! Even though this wouldn't have any real practical purpose for me, but it would still be fun to have access to Android apps, just to mess around... Glad someone thought of this...

I see you're rooting for that 37" iMac still :)

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Maybe I was wrong... ;)

After running the simulator and quitting, I noticed I have 30+ extra processes called uHD-Pal (and a half dozen others with similar names), and this is when the simulator isn't running. One of them is consuming 20% of the CPU.

Hmmm. I can't be certain these were part of the BlueStacks install, but I'm sure I would have noticed these previously.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Indoor maps are available in the web application.
Link? Google seems to think they're only available on Android: http://support.google.com/gmm/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1685872&topic=1685871&ctx=topic

----------

No, because SSH was enabled by users installing an app (well actually nothing with GUI) after jailbreaking.
Thanks for proving my point. Jailbreaking their iPhone allowed then to install an app which made their device vulnerable.

MasterThorn19

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2012
I don't really get this. Why would you want to run Android apps on a Mac? Doesn't Mac already have a much better selection of quality apps than Android?

I think this is good thinking. I personally have an iPhone however I work for apple and we do get people in who purchase a Mac but can't then afford an iPhone or they like their android device. So think about it very soon apple I'm sure will get even closer to cross platform apps, this means in stead of an app for iOS and an app for Macs it will.be one single app that runs on both. My point is android users who have a computer wither its Mac or windows will soon want to do something similar to make life a little Easyer and this is a perfect solution.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Digged around and you're right, it is an Android only feature. Though legally getting a version of Android maps for Bluestacks is probably not something you can look forward too, making the point moot.

Kinda sad to see Google go this route, they are usually good at making their features available as web applications first.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
Perhaps it could be used by developers. I know this isn't an Android simulator, but I could see it (maybe) coming in handy for devs. It seems like they would just use the Android simulator, though.

There's already and Android enumator that developers use. It's included with the Android SDK. (I wouldn't be surprised if this project is based on the same emulator.) The SDK emulator is fine for devs but is probably too tricky for general use.

I just can't figure out why anyone would want to do this.
I see people mention WhatsApp a lot, but that just means they should come out with a native Mac client. So I guess this is a stop-gap workaround until they do. Of course people could just use better messaging app too.

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
There are lots of neat Android apps, I like this very much. Would also like to be able to run iOS apps on OSX.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
This is definitely a cool "proof of concept" for the Android and Mac OS. Many people here are wondering what the point is.

I think it's marketing.

Let's say you're on the Android side of the house. You know there are millions of iOS users out there who may be getting bored with their iPhones or are curious about the Android phones. You know many iOS people have converted to Mac OS X from Windows. Now, you make this emulator/widget/thingie that lets them download and try out ALL the apps in your marketplace. They find the parallels to their favorite iOS apps, and maybe something better. They find loads of cool stuff that Apple won't allow in their ecosystem. Then they decide their next phone is going to be an Android. Mission accomplished, clever Android marketing person.

My son has an Android. I am an iGuy, and will not sway. Just trying to make sense of this weirdness like everyone else.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Could be. But when I was ready to make the switch it was because I wanted a new experience and a bigger screen. Before switching though - I did run through the list of apps I used regularly (and even the not so used ones) to see if the same apps were available on Android. All of my "musts" were and most of my "would be nice to have" were as well. That clinched the deal. But that was an easy search through the (now) play store. I didn't need an emulator.

This is definitely a cool "proof of concept" for the Android and Mac OS. Many people here are wondering what the point is.

I think it's marketing.

Let's say you're on the Android side of the house. You know there are millions of iOS users out there who may be getting bored with their iPhones or are curious about the Android phones. You know many iOS people have converted to Mac OS X from Windows. Now, you make this emulator/widget/thingie that lets them download and try out ALL the apps in your marketplace. They find the parallels to their favorite iOS apps, and maybe something better. They find loads of cool stuff that Apple won't allow in their ecosystem. Then they decide their next phone is going to be an Android. Mission accomplished, clever Android marketing person.

My son has an Android. I am an iGuy, and will not sway. Just trying to make sense of this weirdness like everyone else.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Thanks for proving my point. Jailbreaking their iPhone allowed then to install an app which made their device vulnerable.
And allowing "them" to leave the Apple Store with their iPhone opens up all sorts of vulnerabilities. Sitting on, spilling on, dropping in toilet, theft....maybe Apple should just limit all usage of their products to padded rooms, monitored by someone who won't let anything happen. :rolleyes:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
You dawg, I made an emulator for your emulator so you can emulate while you emulate?:D

I thought about using VirtualBox to run Windows in Linux in Windows in Linux in Windows in Linux in Mac, but I decided that it was a waste of time since I'd be running Windows.

a0me

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
And allowing "them" to leave the Apple Store with their iPhone opens up all sorts of vulnerabilities. Sitting on, spilling on, dropping in toilet, theft....maybe Apple should just limit all usage of their products to padded rooms, monitored by someone who won't let anything happen. :rolleyes:
Nice way to missinterpret what i said. I hope that makes you feel better about yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.