Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elenita

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Hi all,

I am currently using my Powerbook in combination with an iCurve, and was wondering if anyone here using the Bluetooth keyboard could tell me if it's worth the price.

Thoughts? Alternate suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
YES!!! I just got mine last weekend and its so usefull! I even carry it arround the appartment to set the iTunes volume. My only complain is that you cant plug a USB mouse in it (must have to do with power I guess).

Its the kind of thing that you first see as useless and then start to realise how usefull it is... Kinda like the eyeTV...

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Originally posted by Mantat
My only complain is that you cant plug a USB mouse in it (must have to do with power I guess).

Why would anyone want to get a corded mouse when they're using a wireless keyboard? Guessing you're new at this wireless stuff, cordless kbs never come w/ usb sockets.

BTW, blue tooth is a waste of money. You can do the samething w/ any Logitech or MS IR cordless devices for half the price of blue toothed devices. But you know how people are, "look Ma, I got the newest shed."

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
First of all, the Bluetooth keyboard is definately worth it. It works beautifully. The response is instantaneous, and the keyboard looks and feels very good.

Secondly, to the poster who said Bluetooth is not worth it, I disagree. Bluetooth is built into PowerBooks now, so you don't need to hook up a USB dongle. Also, the range of Bluetooth is far superior to that of proprietary RF products, such as the Logitech products you mentioned. I can use my Bluetooth keyboard to control iTunes from several rooms away, like Mantat said. You can barely use a proprietary RF wireless device away from your desk. Huge difference.

In summary, get the Apple Bluetooth keyboard. It is well worth the money.

Phatpat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2003
Cambridge, MA
I don't own one, but I'm seriously considering getting a bluetooth keyboard and iCurve. The combo just sounds amazing.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
BTW, blue tooth is a waste of money. You can do the samething w/ any Logitech or MS IR cordless devices for half the price of blue toothed devices. But you know how people are, "look Ma, I got the newest shed."

Well since my Macs have Bluetooth built-in and it works with my phone as a remote control (cant do that with IR/RF). why would I want some buggy RF receiver dangling off the side of notebook? Plus I don't need to swap IR/RF receivers between computers when I want to move KB/mouse.

Bluetooth isn't a waste of money it's a protocol to replace accessory cables. How many IR/RF receiver/transmitters would I need dangling off the side of my computer to service all of my peripherals.

advres

Oct 3, 2003
Boston
I bought the bluetooth keyboard the day I bought my new 15AlPB. I got the first 15AlPB and first new board to leave the New Hampshire Apple store. I am not bragging I am only saying this to explain to you that I have used the keyboard for some while now. I wish I never bought the thing.

The convience of the wireless is awesome but the design of the keyboard is horrible. It is made out of a deep tray style plastic that collects tons of dust. It is the same new crappy design that comes with the USB G5's. I love my mac but I hate when they change a good thing. The newly designed Apple keyboards blow. IMO.

birdMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2003
I got one the day I bought my powerbook (i switched from an old 500mhz dell). I miss my old keyboard (that funky looking ms elite pro (split style and curved) ). The wireless thing is awesome, but i'm not huge on the tactile feedback of it. I'd go try one out first to see if you will like the feel of it. I'm definately waiting to get a bluetooth mouse that has two buttons, and then setup my internet wireless style, so that I can only have two things plugged into my laptop: the power and the sound cable going to my stereo. The goal is to be able to just unplug two cables and grab the mouse and take off with the laptop in no time flat. Then at destination I will just break out the mouse and start going.

Elenita

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I appreciate it.

Originally posted by birdMan
The wireless thing is awesome, but i'm not huge on the tactile feedback of it. I'd go try one out first to see if you will like the feel of it

Hmmm... can you elaborate? I admit that I've gotten really used to the feel of my Powerbook's keyboard in recent weeks. When I had to troubleshoot something for my mom on her PC over Thanksgiving weekend, typing felt difficult; I've apparently developed a much lighter touch, and I was practically pounding on the keys.

Does the Bluetooth keyboard feel similar to the Powerbooks? PC's? or different entirely?

Thanks again.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Here at college we have a guy who's big into Macs. And being the IT guy for two of the larger departments at Kent State is buys pretty much everything when it comes out. He bought both the wirleless mouse and keyboard that apple put out fairly recently.

While he highly recommended the keyboard he still stuck to the wired mouse. Turns out the mouse weighs a decent amount more than the wired one.

However he highly loves the new keyboard and uses it as his primary. So I think it's a good investment.

Icekey

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
I don't understand what is wrong with the heavier mouse. I personally like it more because it feels more solid. The mouse is definately worth it. The reason why i recommend the wireless mouse and keyboard is because of the price difference with the wired ones. If you are to ever do a presentation on a projector, it's really easy to use a wireless keyboard and mouse. I personally recommend a bluetooth mouse because you don't need any dongles to get it to work. With the logitech and other RF solutions, you need a dongle and it can get annoying. I really like the apple keyboard with its shape and the touch to it.

ethernet76

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2003
Originally posted by Icekey
I don't understand what is wrong with the heavier mouse. I personally like it more because it feels more solid. The mouse is definately worth it. The reason why i recommend the wireless mouse and keyboard is because of the price difference with the wired ones. If you are to ever do a presentation on a projector, it's really easy to use a wireless keyboard and mouse. I personally recommend a bluetooth mouse because you don't need any dongles to get it to work. With the logitech and other RF solutions, you need a dongle and it can get annoying. I really like the apple keyboard with its shape and the touch to it.

I feel it's like pushing around a brick. Also, when i spend 60 dollars on a fancy new mouse it needs to have at least a scroll wheel to be justified. I also don't like the idea of running into the situation where I can't really use my powerbook because my moused died. That's lame and everyone knows you can't seriously do anything other than browse the internet and write e-mail with a trackpad.

I'm curious though whether the person who started this thread plans on also connecting the powerbook to a external display and not really having to look at the powerbook. In that case I'd highly recommend a bluetooth mouse simply because the odd places the cord might run and the desire to not run out of mouse cord.

But I use my powerbook's keyboard and just use an apple pro-mouse or mouse which ever is sitting around, the cord is long enough, but not to short, plugs in nicely to the ride-side USB port.

Also something you might not have considered. but getting a textured trackpad also might be helpful if you plan on taking the powerbook anywhere. I've had this one from thinkgeek for 2 years now and it's a lot better about skipping and when i'm on the road i don't find myself trying to find something(aka my leg) to use my mouse on, it's hard plastics so you can use it almost anywhere there's room.

Mantat

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2003
Montréal (Canada)
FuzzyBallz--->

I know that you cant plug the USB mouse in any BT keyboard. I say its sad because if we could I wouldnt have to plug it in the PB and then save some room on my desk.

And I guess you are the one who is new to wireless stuff: BT has a much longer range and pass throu walls. Now you will tell me whats the point if you cant see your screen? Well, controling iTunes volume of course!

Seriously, I think only people who HAVE the product should comment on question like this.

Icekey

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
For an elegant mouse like Apple's, I'm willing to pay that much. Plus, Microsoft and Logitech's are more then Apple's offering. As for the scroll wheel, well, there are ways to get around it so it's your choice. I like the wireless because I don't have to worry about cables knocking over my coffee or a can of coke. If your battery is low, you'd know, plus unlike the logitech one, you can simply use any AA battery so no sweat there. As for it being too heavy, you better start moving your body cause that thing is not that heavy

Elenita

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2003
Washington, DC
Originally posted by ethernet76
I'm curious though whether the person who started this thread plans on also connecting the powerbook to a external display and not really having to look at the powerbook. In that case I'd highly recommend a bluetooth mouse simply because the odd places the cord might run and the desire to not run out of mouse cord.

But I use my powerbook's keyboard and just use an apple pro-mouse or mouse which ever is sitting around, the cord is long enough, but not to short, plugs in nicely to the ride-side USB port.

That may become an option later, when I'm no longer living on a student budget, but I'm going to be using the Powerbook's screen for a while yet.

I probably should have mentioned above that I'm looking into an external keyboard because I find the iCurve elevates the laptop's keyboard too high to comfortably use on some desks. I doubt I'll start carrying the keyboard through my apartment or anything.

And while I appreciate all the advice about the mouse, I have to say it doesn't really apply to me. As a switcher who can't live without right click and scroll wheel, I don't plan on giving up my two-button USB mouse soon.

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
Before Apple released their bluetooth keyboard, I was contemplating purchasing Microsoft's bluetooth keyboard. It certainly looks pretty cherry with the deep blue translucent cover. Unfortunately it was hard for me to justify spending $150 for a keyboard so I opted for an ergonomic cordless Microsoft keyboard. It's certainly taken a strain off my wrists though my only qualm is it's massive since the keyboard is bent down the middle and it barely fits in my slide out desk tray.

FuzzyBallz

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Home of Al-Qaida
Originally posted by Mantat
BT has a much longer range and pass throu walls. Now you will tell me whats the point if you cant see your screen? Well, controling iTunes volume of course!

LOL, I'm sorry, but that's the lamest excuse to waste 2x the dollar for a product. "Look Ma, I'm can adjust how loud Britney Spear's moaning w/ my BT KB, which I strap to my leg w/ magic tape while I walk around the house."

Ok, you win, I can't compare to your geekyness in a million years if I tried.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
LOL, I'm sorry, but that's the lamest excuse to waste 2x the dollar for a product. "Look Ma, I'm can adjust how loud Britney Spear's moaning w/ my BT KB, which I strap to my leg w/ magic tape while I walk around the house."

Ok, you win, I can't compare to your geekyness in a million years if I tried.

you're so odd.. not kind too..

bluetooth stuff is always a better choice then RF devices.
not Apple's bluetooth mouse but I used Microsoft's navi-black bluetooth mouse as a trial, and I have a RF version of that at home, and bluetooth vers. has much broader range, and also the response in bluetooth was better then my RF one..

By the way, for the ones who look for Bluetooth mouse with couple of buttons and wheel, why dont you try Microsoft's BT mouse? it works amazingly..

kshkval

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2003
portability

is the reason I like the mouse... I need something simple - no bells or whistles - to take to Borders that fits in my Incase bag. I use my MS Trackball Optical w/ 4 buttons and a scroll wheel at home.

But the keyboard is great.... I don't like scrunching my hands up to use the PB keyboard and the PB is up on an iCurve anyhow. Cool design, no latency (unlike the mouse a bit). One of the excellent features is that the keyboard powers down when not in use, otherwise I'd have gone through a boatload of rechargeables by now.

Icekey

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2003
Melbourne, Australia
I had a serious thought about getting the MS mouse, but heard stories about it being slow, and the fact that it was quite big was a bit of a knock off for me to buying it. The apple mouse is really cool. Perfect size, perfect balance. I'm getting a Griffin Powermate for home though. With that, it'll be awesome!!

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
I;d get one... but just not right now... I wanna ge tthe stand thing first... I don't even have a desk in my new apartment yet! doh!

they look sweet though

birdMan

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2003
Hmmm... can you elaborate? I admit that I've gotten really used to the feel of my Powerbook's keyboard in recent weeks. When I had to troubleshoot something for my mom on her PC over Thanksgiving weekend, typing felt difficult; I've apparently developed a much lighter touch, and I was practically pounding on the keys.

Does the Bluetooth keyboard feel similar to the Powerbooks? PC's? or different entirely?

I find that the mac keyboard feels just funky. Its hard to explain exactly. The powerbook keyboard just feels like most of the other laptop keyboards i've used. The wireless keyboard just feels way different than all the other PC keyboards i've been using all my computer career (just switched). I wish I could elaborate more, but I can't exactly tell you what is different.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.