Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
For the AppleStore...

I thought that quanitities for inclusion with new machines were much larger than "thousands."

If it were 10's of thousands I may get excited at the possibility of a new mouse with the G5, but it's just thousands.

MacManDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2003
I agree with AppleMatt. Maybe they want to see how the mice would sell before the introduce the keyboards? (pure speculation)

I also think it would be nice if these bluetooth mice had some extra improvements .. such as an extra button or two and a scroll wheel.

So .. would these mice ship with a bluetooth adapter? Or would the poor people who don't have bluetooth have to buy it separately? $50 for the adapter, and (say) another $50-$60 for a mouse seems a bit steep.

Waluigi

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2003
Connecticut
wireless mice?

I just don’t see the point of having a wireless mouse. The cord for their mouse is less then a foot long, and plugs into the side of the keyboard. It is just not cost effective, or even practical to get a wireless mouse in that setup. I'd say this rumor is false. Either Apple releases both a wireless keyboard and mouse, or neither.

--Waluigi

astray

macrumors member
May 9, 2003
uk
Waluigi, there is no real reason for thier to be wireless mice for the average person, yet there is a big market for them. As a pro option i don't think it is unlikely for a bluetooth mouse to exist.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
A wireless mouse would be useful for many people, i.e. lecturers, people with laptops (especially 12 and 17 with inbuilt bluetooth) etc etc

A wireless keyboard...not so much use. How often do you move your keyboard? It would just be a battery-eater.

AppleMatt

sonicsessions

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
i am localized
I hate buying batteries for things... and as much as I use my mouse, I'd much rather my computer power it than some AA's...
If you are anything like me, you can never find the right batteries when you need them...

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
The only reason I'd get this is to compliment my powerbook when I'm on the road. So it better keep a good charge or have a viable battery replacement option. Otherwise, I have my logitech duo and I'm fine with that.

snofseth

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
why are many of you guys so down on a wireless mouse, I have one and it is so much better than a wired one, mine has a dock for recharge, if it didnt need a conection to the computer because of bluetooth it would be great, just have rechargable batteries and the problem is solved, I forget that my mouse has batteries.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Yeah, a bluetooth mouse would be sweet for the powerbook series. Personally, this is what I'd love to see:

Make it wired via firewire 400 so you can use it as a normal mouse (recharges the battery too).

Unplug the firewire cable and the bluetooth kicks in.

Scroll wheel and 2+ buttons would be very nice.

cr2sh

macrumors 68030
May 28, 2002
downtown
True true.. a bluetooth mouse from apple would be amazing. I've been itching to buy the micrsoft bluetooth mouse (*shutter*), but I know as soon as I do the apple will be released. In the keynote when steve said something like"so if you have a two button mouse.." i knew itd be on the way. apple was one of the first to push the optical pro-mouse, so blue-tooth would be great...

Battery replacement sucks, lets get one of those cool recharging cradles while we're at it, eh?

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
People who don't think a wireless mouse and keyboard are useless, have never owned one. I have both and can't stand using another computer that doesn't.

For example:

I'm kicked back in my chair with the keyboard on my lap. Free to move in ant direction. (I know this isn't the way a lot of people do it but neither did I till I got the keyboard). I can also move it around and not worry about the wire and how its going to pull/tug on any of my papers or coffee mug. Its just better. Could I live with the wires? Well I did before I had wireless so i guess so. However, I could probably use dial-up for the web but would never want to.

The mouse is the same way. I can put stuff on the desk where ever I want and not worry about the cord. Count how many times you move a peice of paper tomorrow when using your mouse. Another nice thing is when someone comes over to your desk to show you something, hand them the mouse and they can rub it on their leg or where ever, to move the cursor. Might sound lame but those little things are great!

As for the bluetooth adaptor coming with the mouse/keyboard: If they and everyone else did it, you'd end up with a ton of adaptors so probably not.

Batteries: logitech has a craddle for recharging the batteries. I never worry about it.

Wireless devices are the best! As for bluetooth or radio...it doesn't really matter to me. I have the logitech setup and would never change.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
No one likes my firewire recharging idea? Screw a cradle :)

I think it has potential, but only for keyboards.

But then of course, keyboards don't really need to be wireless.

AppleMatt

zer0army

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2003
Toronto
Originally posted by ZildjianKX
No one likes my firewire recharging idea? Screw a cradle :)

I like the firewire recharging idea. I think that would work and keep the desk less cluttered without a dock.

However your wrong about the G5's , they are NOT fugly!!!!!

noverflow

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2002
Originally posted by snofseth
why are many of you guys so down on a wireless mouse, I have one and it is so much better than a wired one, mine has a dock for recharge, if it didnt need a conection to the computer because of bluetooth it would be great, just have rechargable batteries and the problem is solved, I forget that my mouse has batteries.

Hate to tell you but you dont have a bluetooth mouse. MS has the only bluetooth mouse out right now and it does not have a cradle. Also, as of now bluetooth on the mac is not good enough for graphic design... the bluetooth's error correction is horrible and it causes the cursor to jump around.

PS your mouse is a proprietary wireless mouse... im guessing a kensington?

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
USB connection maybe, Firewire no. Firewire has a higher current capacity, but I don't think you'd need it for a mouse.

As fun as it would be for the mouse to be bus master, I don't think it makes sense put a 400Mbps bus into a pointing device... Cost prohibitive, if nothing else.

This is why USB2.0 was a waste of comittee time...

Funny how some people think a wireless keyboard would be great and a wireless mouse would be stupid, and others think a wireless keyboard would be stupid but a wireless mouse would be the bee's knees, and some want both or neither to be wireless...

Personally, I'd say wire the keyboard and use it as a dock to recharge the mouse (docking the keyboard sounds like a nightmare!).

Then I'd say, if the mouse is wireless why are we keeping it stuck in 2 dimensions?

These guys took a baby step in the right direction:
http://www.extremetech.com/print_article/0,3998,a=43411,00.asp

But Apple could do so much more! I do like the fact that the Gyration has a fall back to the mouse mode we're all so comfortable (er, familiar?) with.

bertagert

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2003
Originally posted by noverflow
Hate to tell you but you dont have a bluetooth mouse. MS has the only bluetooth mouse out right now and it does not have a cradle. Also, as of now bluetooth on the mac is not good enough for graphic design... the bluetooth's error correction is horrible and it causes the cursor to jump around.

PS your mouse is a proprietary wireless mouse... im guessing a kensington?

He never said it was bluetooth. And its more than likely a MX700 from Logitech that he has.

People wondering about battery life:

My Logitech (Radio Frequency not Bluetooth) keyboard is going on two years with the same batteries (2 - AA batteries) and is still working like a champ.

My Logitech MX700 (Radio Frequency not Bluetooth) goes in its dock every night for recharging (have had it for 6 months and it's hasn't croaked yet, even without being recharged for 2 days and under heavy use).

Having a firewire charge the mouse really doesn't have pluses or minuses over a regular docking station. The only down sides to firewire would be that it charges slower and if your computer is off, the mouse doesn't get charged. The down side to a pluge-in-the-wall charger is you lose/need you find a extra outlet.

All in all, it isn't a huge deal if its bluetooth or RF (except that RF means you have the inconvience of having a usb cord connected to a receiver, which for laptop users, is a pain).

For giggles, I plugged back in my wired mouse and keyboard. Wires get in the way and drag around the desk. I say ditch them. I'm putting my wireless gear back in because wireless makes for clutter free and easy to use desktop.

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
Originally posted by bertagert
Having a firewire charge the mouse really doesn't have pluses or minuses over a regular docking station. The only down sides to firewire would be that it charges slower and if your computer is off, the mouse doesn't get charged. The down side to a pluge-in-the-wall charger is you lose/need you find a extra outlet.

I would rather have a firewire (or even USB) charge cable than a docking station-- the main reason I'd like a BT mouse is for convenience with a laptop, and it'd be a lot easier to pack a simple charging cable than a cradle and a power supply for it.

ntg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2002
UK - Rushden, Northants
Well, I use a Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse on my G4, and a Microsoft Bluetooth mouse on my iBook, and i don't have any real problems using either (although I have to 'connect' the wireless to the G4 each time I restart, I don't restart that often so.......)

I would recommend using either for general work, and for grahic design work, do what I do and use a Wacom instead!

ntg.:D

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
best of both worlds

Originally posted by Lord Bodak
I would rather have a firewire (or even USB) charge cable than a docking station-- the main reason I'd like a BT mouse is for convenience with a laptop, and it'd be a lot easier to pack a simple charging cable than a cradle and a power supply for it.

Firewire is overkill, me thinks. USB should provide enough power to charge a mouse.

What I'd like to see is a design like one of those retractable-corded mice that I saw at an Apple store. The cord retracts and tucks into a little compartment within the mouse. Pull it out and use it as a regular USB mouse when you need to recharge it. Otherwise, it's wireless. I hate the idea of carrying a separate charging cable. The idea of cordless is to simplify.

Kensington retractable USB mouse

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.