Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AutoRoller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2006
A friend advised me because of a problem that I ran across w/ Stuffit Expander to use BOMArchivehelper in its stead. . . So I searched (ver. 10.46) to no avail, so I read that BOMArchivehelper is a routine that was added to later releases of Panthergoing forward into Tiger, except that I cannot even locate it with Spotlight... So, I thought no problem I will download it from Apple.com/downloads, right? Wrong. Now, I am at that point where I am actually considering "Archive & Install," but I really think that is just to much work to gain one program, I need help.:eek: zz5@mac.com

HexMonkey

Administrator emeritus
Feb 5, 2004
New Zealand
BOMArchivehelper isn't a program you invoke directly. It probably is there, just hidden from you (it's located at /System/Library/CoreServices/BOMArchivehelper).

To use it to compress files, choose File > Create Archive of <selection> in Finder. It's used by default to uncompress zip files (by double clicking them), but if your settings have been changed you can reset them as follows:

1. Select a zip file in Finder
  2. Choose File > Get Info
  3. In the "Open with" section choose BOMArchiveHelper. If it's not in the list choose "Other" and find BOMArchiveHelper at the path mentioned above
  4. Click the "Change All..." button

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.