Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
I have my CD player with radio plugged into my iMac via audio input. The CD player is set to full volume. I have to set the volume on iMac speakers up high to hear the music satisfactorily. However, since the volume on the iMac is so high, other program sounds are very loud.

How do I set the audio input volume automatically 100% boosted or something?

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
Try going to the sound control panel, and going to the audio input tab. You should be able to set the input level from there.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
if setting that slider to the maximum didn't help enough or at all, you're going to need to amplify your signal, there are various software solutions for this (such as garageband, but i doubt thats going to be too helpful here) or you can use an external amp, pretty much anything will work, although im not sure how high a level you can use without damaging your input hardware. If you have an old reciever sitting around, they make excellent amps especially for low level input like record players.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.