Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VanTastic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
France
Hi,

I own an early 2011 13" Macbook Pro and I decided that I wanted to give it a little boost by adding some RAM to it as well as an SSD. The thing is I'm not an expert so I don't know what are the best brands out there. For the RAM I think I want to upgrade it to 8 GB but I'm still a bit indecisive when it comes to the SSD capacity: if there is a simple way to still keep my original HD with the SSD (and remove the superdrive which I have no use for) then 128 GB would do fine otherwise 256GB. Now having said that, I have read the sticky regarding the SSDs and those SATA (no idea what that is) issues seem pretty scary since I own a 2011 MBP, but given the age of the thread, has this been fixed by now ? And if so what are the best quality/price SSD models out there ?

Secondly, I would also like to buy a wireless Keyboard/Mouse for my MBP because I connect it a lot to my TV. I think I'm gonna go for the Apple keyboard and since I'm not a fan of the Magic Mouse, I don't know what mouse to buy, I own a Microsoft mouse that I bought for €5 but the scroll wheel is not as smooth as the trackpad, so what I'm looking for a mouse is to be wireless, smooth scrolling and comfortable (I only play Minecraft and Football Manager on my machine).

Thanks in advance for any help!

strwrsfrk

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Arlington, VA, USA
The thing is I'm not an expert so I don't know what are the best brands out there. For the RAM I think I want to upgrade it to 8 GB

I'm a fan of G.Skill for RAM; I've never had a compatibility issues with G.Skill and an Apple computer (so far a 2007 MacBook, several MacBook Pros, and a Mac Pro). Here is a set of 8GB (2x4GB) for $43: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231295

However, if you're going all-in, why not shoot for 16GB (2x8GB) for only $80?: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231531

However, Newegg is currently having a sale on Corsair brand RAM (15% off), which is pretty reputable.

if there is a simple way to still keep my original HD with the SSD (and remove the superdrive which I have no use for) then 128 GB would do fine otherwise 256GB. Now having said that, I have read the sticky regarding the SSDs and those SATA (no idea what that is) issues seem pretty scary since I own a 2011 MBP, but given the age of the thread, has this been fixed by now ? And if so what are the best quality/price SSD models out there ?

The 2011 MacBook Pro SuperDrive is quite easy to remove, and there is a simple, well-respected piece of kit from OWC called a Data Doubler which allows you to swap a second 2.5" HDD or SSD for the SuperDrive ($45): http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/

I'm a fan of OCZ drives myself, but Intel and Samsung are probably the more highly recommended. A quick comparison between the three current consumer offerings from each brand is here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...7-128^20-167-128-TS,20-147-189^20-147-189-03#

It is very easy to swap the HDD with an SSD and only moderately more difficult to swap the SuperDrive with a second HDD or SSD, so you should have no problem. OWC and iFixIt both have excellent videos that will walk you through the processes if necessary.

VanTastic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
France
First of all thank you very much for this complete and comprehensive suggestions. I forgot to mention in the OP that I live in Europe and I don't think that newegg delivers there (or if it does it will take ages, not to mention customs fees) but I found resellers that have the same products and deliver here.

I saw some videos on how to install the SSD as well as how to remove the Superdrive and install the HD and I think I'm gonna hold off of doing the latter, at least for now.

So I will order the G.skill RAM and the Intel 335 SSD.

Thanks again for the advice ;)

spartacvs

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
First of all thank you very much for this complete and comprehensive suggestions. I forgot to mention in the OP that I live in Europe and I don't think that newegg delivers there (or if it does it will take ages, not to mention customs fees) but I found resellers that have the same products and deliver here.

I saw some videos on how to install the SSD as well as how to remove the Superdrive and install the HD and I think I'm gonna hold off of doing the latter, at least for now.

Stay away from Corsair Ram at all cost. Crucial, G.Skill, Patriot are all good.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I just put in 16gb corsair ram for $75 and it was ell worth it. I have an early 2011 MacBook also, well worth the price difference between 8gb and 16.

strwrsfrk

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Arlington, VA, USA

Cheers, good luck, and enjoy! The SSD and RAM will make your MacBook Pro scream :)

Stay away from Corsair Ram at all cost. Crucial, G.Skill, Patriot are all good.

Just out of curiosity (not arguing; I prefer G.Skill myself), what have you heard/experienced with Corsair that's negative? Granted, I've never used Corsair in a Mac before, but I've used at least 5 Corsair kits in PCs just fine over the years. Thanks!

spartacvs

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2013
Cheers, good luck, and enjoy! The SSD and RAM will make your MacBook Pro scream :)

Just out of curiosity (not arguing; I prefer G.Skill myself), what have you heard/experienced with Corsair that's negative? Granted, I've never used Corsair in a Mac before, but I've used at least 5 Corsair kits in PCs just fine over the years. Thanks!

Just from personal experiences and also from other people I know personally and in this forums.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
There's enough anecdotal evidence out there to say that about all the major memory brands, though. They've all had bad batches at some point.

For example, I actually used to love Crucial RAM, but after 2 bad purchases in the last 3, I've been turned from them. I'm sure that you could find people that would say the same about Patriot, G-Skill, OCZ, Mushkin, etc. A quick Google for each will most certainly turn up their fair share of issues.

rosesawin

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2013
agree .have an early 2011 MacBook also, well worth the price difference between 8gb and 16.thanks
11.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.