Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
I'm not alone, there's a thread on the Apple boards where other people with the same setup have the same problem. It's also apparently happening with the 24" iMacs.

The problem: using Boot Camp Assistant 1.1 Beta, restarting to install Windows XP SP2, the machine boots off the CD and then the screen goes black. That's it. Screen never becomes active and it's impossible to continue from there.

I know the install disc is good. I also tried unplugging all unesessary perhipherals. No change. People don't appear to be having any more luck trying other displays either.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
relimw said:
See, you should've just bought the $400 HP machine if you wanted to run win32 :p
I'm perfectly happy in OS X. :p But there are some things I want Windows for. Besides, the MP would perform a heck of a lot better than a $400 PC.

Anyway, instead of a really useless comment, I was hoping to see if anyone else here had the problem and if anyone found a solution.

SpankyPenzaanz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2006
are you able to get back into osx if so have tried redoing the entire process from the beiginning. if you have tried this already sorry. the only other thing i can think is if it is happeing on the new 24"imacs then wait for the osx update which according to this site has been seeded and will probably see fix **hopefully**soon

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
No, I only have the one graphics card, and I don't have any other monitors to try either (I also tried both DVI ports on the X1900). I don't know if it's a Windows problem with the card or the display, or a firmware problem, or something else.

I can't do anything from the blank screen except force shutdown and boot back into OS X.

I might try Vista RC1 too and see if that works.

studiox

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Stockholm / Sweden
apfhex said:
No, I only have the one graphics card, and I don't have any other monitors to try either (I also tried both DVI ports on the X1900). I don't know if it's a Windows problem with the card or the display, or a firmware problem, or something else.

I can't do anything from the blank screen except force shutdown and boot back into OS X.

I might try Vista RC1 too and see if that works.

That is strange. Have you tried to turn your monitor off, and then on ?

Mine also got black, but that was for about hmm 30 sec and then Windows installation showed up. Windows has a "strike space to continue" - Don't think that's the problem but try to hit spacebar when the screen goes black.

mus0r

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2005
I'm having the same problem. Tried different discs, different DVI ports, different displays. Must be the video card :mad:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
apfhex said:
The problem: using Boot Camp Assistant 1.1 Beta
If all of the 24" iMacs are doing this, my guess is that you're likely stuck until Boot Camp Assistant 1.2 Beta. :( If that's right, I hope it comes out quickly for you guys!!!

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
aristobrat said:
If all of the 24" iMacs are doing this, my guess is that you're likely stuck until Boot Camp Assistant 1.2 Beta. :( If that's right, I hope it comes out quickly for you guys!!!
I don't think it has anything to do with Boot Camp, since all /it's/ doing is partitioning the drive and burning a driver disc. This seems more like a resolution problem or something.

I did try turning the monitor on/off when I was trying all this, no difference.

The thread on the Apple boards seems to indicate it's a resolution issue as at least one person had luck hooking up a smaller monitor. If only I had another one.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
apfhex said:
I don't think it has anything to do with Boot Camp, since all /it's/ doing is partitioning the drive and burning a driver disc. This seems more like a resolution problem or something.
I was thinking resolution as well, but as for the change, I was more thinking more alone the lines of the firmware update that Boot Camp requires for most Macs.

I can't see Apple telling all 24" iMac users that they're required to have a smaller monitor available for XP installation.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Yeah, perhaps so.

I tried setting my ACD to 640x480, which works, but when I restart it just goes back to its native resolution anyway.

Makes me glad I don't have to deal with Windows every day.

RipFire

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2006
Ya I just had the same issue today, same setup. Had to hook up a 17" LCD I had for another machine, after I was done installing XP I was able to hook up the 23" ACD again and it works fine.

Very much a problem that needs to be adressed.

studiox

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2004
Stockholm / Sweden
RipFire said:
Ya I just had the same issue today, same setup. Had to hook up a 17" LCD I had for another machine, after I was done installing XP I was able to hook up the 23" ACD again and it works fine.

Very much a problem that needs to be adressed.

Seems like the 640x480 don't work on the ACD 23". That's really strange..
Did work well on the 20".

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Anyone tried the new Boot Camp 1.1.1 that came out yesterday? Think Secret says it adds compatability w/ the newest Intel Macs, but I didn't see a firmware upgrade, so I'm doubtful it'll help w/ the resolution issue.

But hey, who knows? :)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
aristobrat said:
Anyone tried the new Boot Camp 1.1.1 that came out yesterday? Think Secret says it adds compatability w/ the newest Intel Macs, but I didn't see a firmware upgrade, so I'm doubtful it'll help w/ the resolution issue.

But hey, who knows? :)
True, I don't think that would help. Why didn't I hear about this x.x.1 update? I'm pretty sure it wasn't reported on any of the sites I visit (MacRumors! ;) but I do see it's on XLR8 today, it wasn't last night...).

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
I still couldn't get XP to work with my 23” ACD after using an older monitor during setup – this is how I eventually resolved the problem:

1) Disconnect your ACD and connect a monitor that can handle the resolution (I used an old 19" CRT)

2) Install Windows XP

3) When in XP leave your old monitor connected and then connect your ACD (do this at your own risk, as monitor's aren't really hot swappable)

4) Install WinACD

5) In Device Manager locate your ACD under monitors (check properties and look for the monitor with a hardware ID beginning with App) and then click the Update Driver button and work through the Wizard and select 23” Apple Cinema Display when prompted

6) At this point the monitor should come on, if it doesn't set Windows to expand the display onto that monitor and then correctly set the resolution

7) Shutdown and disconnect your other monitor and then boot into Windows

This is what worked for me, but of course YMMV

Sean :)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
seanf said:
I still couldn't get XP to work with my 23” ACD after using an older monitor during setup
That's some bad luck. I acquired a 19" CRT which worked just fine with Windows setup. What I did was put in the install disc, shut down, unplug the ACD and plug in the CRT, boot into Windows, install, shut down, plug ACD back in and unplug CRT, boot back into Windows, it worked.

Although the second time I booted into Windows after this the ACD wouldn't activate and I had to unplug it's power supply (unplugging the DVI didn't work). Then it worked again. I hope I don't have to do that often.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
This is definitely a new problem. Mentioned it in my last post, but it seems that it's not only somtimes but EVERY time I boot into Windows I have to physically ungplug the power to my ACD to get it to activate in Windows. I'm worried that this isn't good for the display since I CAN NOT turn it off when this happends (the power light is on and pressing it does nothing).

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
apfhex said:
This is definitely a new problem. Mentioned it in my last post, but it seems that it's not only somtimes but EVERY time I boot into Windows I have to physically ungplug the power to my ACD to get it to activate in Windows.
Have you tried installing the WinACD drivers, as per my last post? This was the only way I could get mine to work initially and now it's fine.

Sean :)

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
seanf said:
Have you tried installing the WinACD drivers, as per my last post? This was the only way I could get mine to work initially and now it's fine.
Oh, I didn't try that... I'm scared of messing up my Windows install (I already did once) so I'll try those drivers once I can create a backup of my NTFS partition. :)

movafova

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2006
Crazy idea with Parallels

I'm having the same issue as everyone else with the ATI card and the 23" ACD, but I attempted to do something a little different, since I don't have an extra monitor. First, I partitioned using Boot Camp. Then, I installed Parallels, and setup a Parallels virtual hard disk that was the same size as my Boot Camp partition. After that, I installed Windows in Parallels, but I made sure to also install the extra drivers that came with Boot Camp and WinACD. I thought I would then be able to use the restore feature of Disk Utility to copy everything over to the boot camp partition, and hope it would work. Well, even though Parallels .hdd files are actually iso files, I couldn't seem to get Disk Utility to get past the "Scan images for restore..." stage. So, I manually formatted the boot camp partition using newfs_msdos and copied all of the files from parallels virtual hard drive to my boot camp partition. Here's where I'm stuck: Even though my windows install shows up in my start up disk preference pane, it does not show up when I hold Option while booting. I think it has something to do with something in the boot record not being set correctly, but I'm a bit clueless as to how to fix it. I vaguely remember from my Linux/Windows dual-boot days that in order to get Windows to work correctly you have to set the partition as "active", but I don't know of any way to do that in OS X. Anyone have any ideas?

charles54

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2006
mac pro 23 in.

I am having the same problem as all of you, one question how do you install
win acd??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.