Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fightercow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
Hey guys,

I have a Mid-2014 rMBP 13'' 128GB (8GB 1600MHz Ram, Intel Iris 1536Mb, Intel Core i5 2.6GHz, ) and i'm considering to install Windows 7 for gaming. I will only play H1Z1, CS:GO, South Park: SoT, Fifa Soccer and NBA 2K15.

The point i'm going to ask is, do you recommend me to do it?

Edit: After the BootCamp, i will update this thread and this thread will be a guideline to people who wants to install Windows to their Mac for gaming. There is not enough information about this topic on the internet.

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hey guys,

I have a Mid-2014 rMBP 13'' 128GB (8GB 1600MHz Ram, Intel Iris 1536Mb, Intel Core i5 2.6GHz, ) and i'm considering to install Windows 7 for gaming. I will only play H1Z1, CS:GO, South Park: SoT, Fifa Soccer and NBA 2K15.

Do it if you like.

Don't expect much performance out of your computer though, it only has integrated graphics.

fightercow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
Do it if you like.

Don't expect much performance out of your computer though, it only has integrated graphics.

I'm not expecting a high performance from my mac either, i think i can play nba, fifa soccer and h1z1 at 1280xXXX resolution and medium settings can give a smooth performance

----------

Do your system specs meet the minimum requirements for the games?

Yes, it can handle all of the games i've listed

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Hey guys,

I have had bootcamp on all my macs, and it works fine. 128gb though means you'll have a tiny partition. I'd just make a small windows install and get an external drive formatted in ntfs to store the game installs.

fightercow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
I have had bootcamp on all my macs, and it works fine. 128gb though means you'll have a tiny partition. I'd just make a small windows install and get an external drive formatted in ntfs to store the game installs.

Yeah, that is exactly what i want to do! I will install Windows 7 Ultimate.

Do i need to install a anti-virus software? What do you recommend me to install?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
Yeah, that is exactly what i want to do! I will install Windows 7 Ultimate.

Do i need to install a anti-virus software? What do you recommend me to install?

I like MSE, which is free and made by Microsoft. Comes built in with Windows 8.1, but I think you have to install it separately with Windows 7.

fightercow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
I like MSE, which is free and made by Microsoft. Comes built in with Windows 8.1, but I think you have to install it separately with Windows 7.

I will install MSE then. The reason why install Windows 7 ultimate is it gives better performance than 8.1(imo). I don't know whats the gaming performance in 8.1 after the updates.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
I will install MSE then. The reason why install Windows 7 ultimate is it gives better performance than 8.1(imo). I don't know whats the gaming performance in 8.1 after the updates.

Eh, I've found the opposite. 8.1 is leaner by far. People just like 7 better due to the UI being more familiar. Either way, 10 will be out in a few months for a free upgrade, and that will be the best so far.

cbautis2

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2013
Eh, I've found the opposite. 8.1 is leaner by far. People just like 7 better due to the UI being more familiar. Either way, 10 will be out in a few months for a free upgrade, and that will be the best so far.

I find that 8.1 uses way more RAM than 7. Touch is smooth though on 8.1

Lateraleye

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011

I really wish this kind of ignorance would go away. It's not 2010 anymore. For the games the topic creator listed, performance will be fine-to-great.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
Hey guys,

I had a mid 2014 13" rmbp for a few weeks before returning for the 2015 model and I can tell you that you will be able to play the Mac version of CS:GO with a mix of med/high settings without any frame rate issues or lag. I had no issues so I would assume running the windows version via bootcamp would be fine as well.

asr10user

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2015
I have the same setup as you but with 256gb SSD.

Most games ive tried run fairly well under bootcamp and win 8.

I mostly play Street Fighter 4 and get 90 fps at high settings in 720. If I bump that up to 1080 the game chokes.

There hasnt been a game at low-med settings that has been unplayable to me. But I really dont play anything too intensive, as long as I can play my SF4 I am happy.

I really wish I could figure out how to get OSX to see my Madcatz 360 fight stick and pad. But gave up and just do all my gaming in boot camp.

fightercow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013

Windows 7 Ultimate would be the best for me because of the UI and performance

----------

I had a mid 2014 13" rmbp for a few weeks before returning for the 2015 model and I can tell you that you will be able to play the Mac version of CS:GO with a mix of med/high settings without any frame rate issues or lag. I had no issues so I would assume running the windows version via bootcamp would be fine as well.

How much fps did you get?

----------

I mostly play Street Fighter 4 and get 90 fps at high settings in 720. If I bump that up to 1080 the game chokes.

There hasnt been a game at low-med settings that has been unplayable to me. But I really dont play anything too intensive, as long as I can play my SF4 I am happy.

I really wish I could figure out how to get OSX to see my Madcatz 360 fight stick and pad. But gave up and just do all my gaming in boot camp.

So I have a question for you, do i need to do any kinds of extra installation, such as Bios or driver updates/setups after the BootCamp?

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Windows 7 Ultimate would be the best for me because of the UI and performance

----------

How much fps did you get?

----------

So I have a question for you, do i need to do any kinds of extra installation, such as Bios or driver updates/setups after the BootCamp?

You'll have to download the proper drivers during bootcamp setup, it's all explained quite nicely while you do it.

You cannot update the BIOS on a Mac as it doesn't use one. Macs use EFI.

fightercow

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2013
You'll have to download the proper drivers during bootcamp setup, it's all explained quite nicely while you do it.

You cannot update the BIOS on a Mac as it doesn't use one. Macs use EFI.

So you say BootCamp Assistant will help me out while i install drivers, right?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
So you say BootCamp Assistant will help me out while i install drivers, right?

bootcamp assistant requires that you insert a usb drive to put on all the drivers. Then, they ask to install right after you install windows.

Christ_Dilorean

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2016
ONETT, HILL VALLEY

------------
i know this post is old but , wonder if you plan or have played any SFV on your mac, i have similar settings, and rather just just play on here instead of buying ps4 to play, I'm familiar with parallels but haven't tried boot camp mainly because my demand for operating on windows is pretty low

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.