Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
In these instructions, does anyone know what the "ide" argument means here:
Code:
/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk0 3 windows7 ide
?

From the vmware-rawdiskCreator help:
Code:
   <adapterType> is the virtual disk type. It must be one of "ide",
      "buslogic", or "lsilogic".

Can you boot natively in safe mode? (Hold fn-F8 during boot).

B

hallo123

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2011
Unfortunately, safe mode doesn't work either. It crashes while loading classpnp.sys. It doesn't seem to be able to access the harddrive at all.

On some windows forums people get the same error code after switching motherboards/chipsets and have to change their BIOS settings. Macs don't really have anything like that right?

I'm now trying to follow this tutorial: http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.com/2009/04/install-windows-on-macbook-air-with-no.html#idc-cover

Unfortunately it involves manually copying the MBR which I've tried to avoid so far ...

Digital Artist

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2010
I installed Windows 7 without using a DVD. These are the steps I used.

(1) I created a 4GB FAT partition on my Leopard hard drive.
(2) I opened the Win7 ISO in Finder and copied the contents to that partition.
(3) The partition was made active and bootable.
(4) I booted off the partition and ran the installer.

Step 3 requires putting a Vista/Win7 compatible Volume Boot Record at
the head of the partition. You can do this in VMWare by using the Win7
ISO as a recovery disc (bootrec.exe /fixboot):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Thanks Infrared!

Here are the steps I took:

1) Using Disk Utility, I created a 4 GB FAT32 partition on my Macintosh HDD for the Setup files and named it WIN7INSTALL.
2) I also created a 50 GB FAT32 partition on my Macintosh HDD and called it BOOTCAMP.
3) I booted into the Windows 7 Recovery Console using a Windows 7 Startup CD and opened up the Command Prompt.
4) I typed the following commands in the Command Prompt:

Diskpart

lis vol

(replace C with the volume letter of your WIN7INSTALL partition)

sel vol C

act

(the following command reformats the partition from FAT32 to NTFS)

format fs=ntfs

exi
5) Still inside the Command Prompt, I copied the Windows 7 Setup files from a USB flash drive to the WIN7INSTALL partition I created earlier by using the following command:
xcopy X:\*.* /s/e/f C:\

(Where X:\ represents the USB flash drive containing the Setup files and C:\ stands for the WIN7INSTALL partition on your HDD)
6) Since I was unable to successfully use the bootrec.exe command from within the Windows Recovery Environment, I had to use the following command to rewrite the boot sector of the WIN7INSTALL partition:
bootsect /nt60 C: /mbr
7) I booted off the WIN7INSTALL partition by pressing the ALT button during the boot sequence and ran the installer.

Source1
Source2
Source3
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But how can you access a CD without a CD/DVD. I thought this thread was how to do it without a DVD on the MBAirs?

I wrote my post for all the people who were fooled into buying an early 2008 Macbook Pro with a malfunctioning superdrive (one that can read CD's but not DVD's, lol).
So yea, that's basically how to do it without a DVD drive :D

DaSal

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2008
The Netherlands
Is this guide actually comprehensive, containing all the steps? It doesn't seem to, cause it's not working...

For starters, at step 3 I get two files instead of one: windows7.vmdk and windows7-pt.vmdk.

Then at step 4 when I'm trying to do "Use existing virtual disk", the windows7.vdmk file is greyed out and I can't select it.

If I got back to the original instructions and try to do the "pico /Virtual\ Machines/Windows7.vmwarevm/Windows7.vmx" command, I get the following error when trying to write out:

[ Error writing /Virtual Machines/Windows7.vmwarevm/Windows7.vmx: No such file ]

Besides that, trying to do it using "show package contents" is impossible too; the finder doesn't show such an option.

I was hoping someone could make a comprehensive, step by step, up to date guide on how it works... cause it seems like either there are steps missing, or it doesn't work with the latest version of VMWare anymore...

I'm working on installing Windows 7 without a DVD (broken SuperDrive here) using VMWare Fusion and the instructions provided by melchior.

I think I've figured out a way to make VMWare install Windows 7 to the Boot Camp partition.

I'll try and see if it works, and if it does I will post instructions.

Edit:

Great news, I got the Boot Camp partition to show up in VMWare Fusion when installing windows. I'm going to install it!

Here's what I did:

Step 1: Installed VMWare, opened up the application to make sure everything worked correctly, then quit.

Step 2: I created a folder in the root of my hard drive (Macintosh HD) entitled "Virtual Machines"

Step 3: I typed the following into Terminal:

Code:
cd /Virtual\ Machines
Then..
Code:
/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/vmware-rawdiskCreator print /dev/disk0
A list of my computer's partitions appeared, then I typed..
Code:
/Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/vmware-rawdiskCreator create /dev/disk0 3 windows7 ide

You can see a screenshot of Terminal after typing in these commands below.

After that, I opened up VMWare Fusion. I chose to make a new machine, I hit Continue Without Disc.

I chose Use existing virtual disk, then selected windows7.vmdk out of the Virtual Machines folder in root of Macintosh HD.

VMWare asked me if I wanted to convert the disk into an "updated" version, I chose not to convert the disk image.

After that, I unchecked "automatically open machine when VMWare starts", then hit finish. I opened up the settings for the newly created virtual machine, and changed the disc to point to my Windows 7 ISO file.

I started the machine, and VMWare successfully recognized my Boot Camp partition and I'm installing Windows 7 onto the partition right now.

Screenshot of Terminal after typing in commands:

Update:

Setup completed successfully in VMWare and rebooted. I'm going to try and natively boot off of this, if it doesn't work I'll try winclone (I think winclone might set the partition to active when it copies the flies to the partition, that's why that "trick" causes the partition to become bootable again).

Side note: The reason why you type disk0 into Terminal instead of the actual ID of the Boot Camp partition (usually it's disk0s3) is because the VMWare Raw Disk Creator considers the Boot Camp partition a "special" partition and tags it with a 0 rather than using the usual disk0s3 stuff.

fl89

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2011
Ive installed Windows7 64bit with VMWARE on the Bootcamp partition but it's impossible to natively boot from it, as I get the Error-Message:
Could not load winload.exe, file is missing or corrupt. blabla

Fixing the BootRecord doesnt help either. Can someone help me? :D

Is this guide actually comprehensive, containing all the steps? It doesn't seem to, cause it's not working...

For starters, at step 3 I get two files instead of one: windows7.vmdk and windows7-pt.vmdk.

Then at step 4 when I'm trying to do "Use existing virtual disk", the windows7.vdmk file is greyed out and I can't select it.

If I got back to the original instructions and try to do the "pico /Virtual\ Machines/Windows7.vmwarevm/Windows7.vmx" command, I get the following error when trying to write out:

[ Error writing /Virtual Machines/Windows7.vmwarevm/Windows7.vmx: No such file ]

Besides that, trying to do it using "show package contents" is impossible too; the finder doesn't show such an option.

I was hoping someone could make a comprehensive, step by step, up to date guide on how it works... cause it seems like either there are steps missing, or it doesn't work with the latest version of VMWare anymore...

Hmmm....yeah the guide is not really comprehensive.

1. i cant select windows7.vmdk either but if you drop the file from the finder onto the vmware-dialog it works, then select "convert the file...blabla", then you save it in the "Virtual Machines"-Folder as "Windows7"

2.the command "pico /Virtual\ Machines/Windows7.vmwarevm/Windows7.vmx" worked for me, look into root if such a folder "Virtual Machines" exists and if it contains a "Windows7.vmwarevm"
if this works you don't need the "show package contents"-step (you tried right-click on the Windows7.vmwarevm and not the windows7.vmdk ?!?)

i hope this can help you

sry for my grammar
greez from germany

Last edited:

4jo

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Alternative guide that worked for me

Hi everybody.

I tried for two and a half days to install Win7 on my system and non of the guides that I found worked.

However, Finally I managed by using this guide

http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.com/2009/04/install-windows-on-macbook-air-with-no.html#idc-cover

and a couple of extra steps which I describe in this post. These steps do not require a SuperDrive and not a Windows 7 boot USB key (the latter in combination with rEFIt failed in my case, as well).

I have a MacBook Pro 15" (early 2011) with Mac Os X 10.6.7 and I used Parallels trial version 6 (6.0.11994.637263). I have two internal disks: disk0 is a SSD, disk1 a 500GB HDD and I (after some troubled) managed to install Windows 7 on the second disk (without SuperDrive).

I went through all steps (in the guide linked above) up to the moment when one has to boot in the (half-finished) Win7 installation. (The step after changing the Mbr of /dev/disk0 (in my case disk1) within the Mac Os Install Setup). Remark 1: Parallels 6 tends to complain during the Win7 installation that it cannot write on the physical disk (boot camp partition), ignore this. Remark 2: In the guide linked above I used a second usb key with a bootable Snow Leopard. Alternatively, as described in the guide you can use the shared DVD drive of another computer.

When I booted the first time in Windows it crashed with the common error:

===============================================
...cannot boot because of missing file/buggy file

File: \Boot\Bcd

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.
===============================================
How to get it to work:

1) Restart in Mac Os X
2) Run Parallels and restart the VM. In the VM boot from the Win 7 DVD (not from the half-installed Windows)
3) When asked for language click next. Then click on "Repair". Now Windows should automatically diagnose that there is a boot problem and
suggest a fix - click on accept and right when the VM restarts stop it. (I tried to fix the problem manually with cmd via bootrec /FixMbr etc. this never worked for me)
4) Restart your computer and boot in Windows (holding down alt-key after chime sound).

Windows 7 should now finish the installation normally. If this still does not work try re-installing Win 7 (in the VM) and again stop the VM when the first reboot is suggested. The Mbr which one physically changed before is not effected by this reinstall, as Parallels only writes a new Mbr in the VM.

I think the crucial difference with the guide i linked above with respect to other suggestions here is to override the physical Mbr of the disk by the one of the VM. This prepares the system to become natively bootable.

regards,
Joe

Last edited:

Kcomplex

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2006
Hi, My superdrive has broken on both my macbook and mac mini. I need to reintall XP on my mac mini as i can't use win 7 for various reasons. What would be the best solution provided in this thread for me to install XP without using the internal drive. It seems most solutions here are for vista or win7 so i don't want to spend all my time trying them out for XP only to find there is no way of doing it.

i have been looking all day for solution but have found nothing concrete - i need XP and cannot afford the silly prices to get the superdrive fixed. any suggestions or help would be appreciated, surely there must be a way!

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Hi, My superdrive has broken on both my macbook and mac mini. I need to reintall XP on my mac mini as i can't use win 7 for various reasons. What would be the best solution provided in this thread for me to install XP without using the internal drive. It seems most solutions here are for vista or win7 so i don't want to spend all my time trying them out for XP only to find there is no way of doing it.

i have been looking all day for solution but have found nothing concrete - i need XP and cannot afford the silly prices to get the superdrive fixed. any suggestions or help would be appreciated, surely there must be a way!

The VMWare/Parallels approach should work about as well as it does for Vista/7. Have XP move all it's stuff over to the HDD and then don't let it reboot from the VM, but force it to boot natively.

As the last poster says you might run into some boot record issues, but they should be more easily fixable in XP than Vista/7 which add BCD complications to the mix.

B

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
This sort of thing might be helped in the future with Apple delivering apps through the app store wirelessly like lion dev preview.

4jo

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2011
Might be not the answer you hope to hear

I believe an installation of Win XP via Parallels on the physical Bootcamp partition should do the trick. However, if you don't want to go through the trouble an easy, maybe not satisfactory solution could be to buy an external DVD drive from which you can boot. I believe the Samsung SE-S084F/RSBS should be suitable for that. A guy on amazon.de claims that booting of it with a Mac is no problem....(I know that it is officially supporting Mac OS) so spending 40$ could save you some pain, also from time to time it does make sense to have an optical drive.

brian5258

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2011
figured it out

After 3 days of messing around I've finally figured it out. I'll update later with screenshots.

Okay so here's how to make it work.

- Using VMware Fusion, install a fresh copy of Windows 7 onto a SINGLE partition. This is very important as you'll get the 'BOOTMGR is missing' error if you allow windows to create two separate partitions as it does normally during an install.

Follow step 3 from this walkthrough to achieve this: http://www.mydigitallife.info/hack-...reserved-partition-when-installing-windows-7/

Once the install is complete, be sure to shutdown from within windows which will also close the virtual machine.

Close VMware.

Navigate to your virtual machine in Documents\Virtual Machines and mount it with VMDK Mounter.

Use Winclone to image this mounted drive.

Use the bootcamp assistant to create a new partition, but quit the installer after this step.

Use Winclone to restore the image you created to your BOOTCAMP partition.

Install rEFIt, reboot twice, and boot to your Windows partition.

Bam, you're done.

kod88vn

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
After 3 days of messing around I've finally figured it out. I'll update later with screenshots.

- Using VMware Fusion, install a fresh copy of Windows 7 onto a SINGLE partition. This is very important as you'll get the 'BOOTMGR is missing' error if you allow windows to create two separate partitions as it does normally during an install.

Follow step 3 from this walkthrough to achieve this: http://www.mydigitallife.info/hack-...reserved-partition-when-installing-windows-7/

Once the install is complete, be sure to shutdown from within windows which will also close the virtual machine.

Close VMware.

Navigate to your virtual machine in Documents\Virtual Machines and mount it with VMDK Mounter.

Use the bootcamp assistant to create a new partition, but quit the installer after this step.

Bam, you're done.

This works like champ. Thank you. Very comprehensive guide

nawie

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2010

Close VMware.

Bam, you're done.

I tried this but got the following error:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1314189/Photo 2011-08-29 22 01 48.jpeg
Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

Anyone have any clue to how to fix it or how to make it work?

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2006
What about MBA 2010 ?

Seems even 10.7.2 and BCA 4.0.1 (429) that option to create USB from ISO is present as an option but greyed out... on my 2010 MBA.

MattGrnatham

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
I tried this but got the following error:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1314189/Photo 2011-08-29 22 01 48.jpeg
Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible.

Anyone have any clue to how to fix it or how to make it work?

I followed Brian5258's instructions to the letter and am also getting the same error. One thing to note is that it doesn't appear refit is necessary as I was able to see the windows drive by simply holding option during boot.

I think this may be a driver issue and am going to try the same process again but instead of letting the Windows install finish 100%, I'm going to try and stop it after the files are installed but before the configuration steps. I'll then follow the rest of the process as normal and report back.

On a related note, how typical is this of Apple? (rhetorical). They've included the ability to both boot from an external DVD and external USB drive on the MBA firmware but have either removed the ability or not included it for MBP. All of our problems would be solved if apple would simply enable a few flags in the next EFI update.

OzyCA

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2011
Ozys 20-step guide to no-DVD Windows 7 joy...

Hello everyone,

My first post on this forum - I'm writing to explain how, after over a week of pulling my hair out, I finally got Windows to load as a boot camp installation on Lion without using a DVD.

I am running OS X Lion. I used a windows7.iso for the install. I also used Parallels 7 and rEFIt. I have a late-2007 Macbook with a busted combo drive that will neither read nor write.

I tried everything over days and days - all the solutions that people have listed here, and no matter what I did, it didnt seem like anything would persuade my bootcamp partition to boot. I also gave up on the option of booting from a USB device after the Refit USB boot option kept coming up with the 'Cannot boot legacy device' error that many here have experienced.

Anyways, I eventually got there by basically adapting the first part of the strategy set out here on Inside the Brackets (ITR) which explains how to set up a Virtual Machine in Parallels which has your Bootcamp partition set as its hard disk:

http://insidethebrackets.blogspot.com/2009/04/install-windows-on-macbook-air-with-no.html

My process then departs significantly from the InsidetheBrackets instructions - no need to copy over the MBR or anything like that. It worked surprisingly easily in the end. I basically use Parallels to format the bootcamp partition as NTFS and copy over the contents of the Windows7.iso to that partition. Then I boot from the partition.

Here is the process I followed:

1. Open Disk Utility and create the Bootcamp partition to whatever size you want (ensuring at least 18GB for your Win 7 installation). Format it as MS-DOS (FAT32). [I refer to this new partition in the process below as your 'bootcamp partition' but there is no need to use the actual Boot Camp Assistant for this step, disk utility does the same thing]

2. Install Parallels. I used version 7.

3. Create a virtual machine in Parallels, as set out in the InsidetheBrackets article linked to above. The screenshots you see may differ from the article depending on which version of Parallels you are using. Be sure you choose to customize the installation and select your Bootcamp partition as the main hard disk.

4. Use your Windows7.iso as the source for the Parallels installation.

5. When creating your Virtual Machine, add an additional CD-ROM drive and point this also towards your Windows7.iso [Note - this step is not listed in the ITB article, but it's very important]

6. Start the Virtual Machine. The Windows 7 installer will appear and start loading. Let it go through the steps, and after a few screens it will ask which drive you want to install Windows on.

7. Make sure you choose the bootcamp partition you created using Disk Utility in Step 1. Choose 'drive options' then format it to NTFS.

8. *** This is where my procedure departs completely from the InsidetheBrackets article. ***

9. After the installer has formatted your bootcamp partition as NTFS, hit the X in the top right to abort the installation. The Windows 7 setup will then take you back to the main 'install' screen.

10. Choose 'repair your computer', then the first option in the next menu (for system tools). A list of system tools will appear. Choose 'Command Prompt'. The Windows command box will appear.

11. Type C: -> this should take you to your hard drive (the root of your bootcamp partition). Type DIR to list the content of the root folder - it should be empty.

12. Type D: -> if you have configured the additional CD-ROM (from Step 5) then your D:\ drive should be your windows7.iso - your install disk. Type DIR to list the contents of D:\ - you should see a number of directories, including EFI and SOURCES.

13. Now that the C drive has been formatted in NTFS, we need to copy the content of your D: drive (your windows iso) to C:\ (your bootcamp partition)

14. Copy everything on D: to C: --> by typing:

XCOPY D:\*.* C:\ /e/h

(the /e/h is very important - it tells xcopy to move over all files and directories, including hidden files and empty directories)

15. Xcopy will chug away for a bit copying things over. The Install.WIM file is huge (>3GB) and Xcopy will seemingly hang for several minutes when copying it. Be patient - mine took nearly 20 minutes to copy over, but it will get there in the end. You'll be returned to your D:\ prompt in Windows.

16. At this point you have copied the content of your Windows 7 disk successfully to your NTFS-formatted bootcamp partition - which would have been impossible in Mac as Macs can't write to NTFS drives.

17. We're now going to boot from the copy of the setup disk on your bootcamp partition and use it to install Windows on the same partition. This would be impossible if your partition was formatted in FAT32 as the Setup program would need to format it's own drive, causing it to crash.

18. Shut down Mac, hold the option key when it restarts and choose the 'Windows' disk. [I had refit installed but I'm not 100% sure it's necessary].

19. Cross your fingers and… voila! Windows 7 setup should load, and you can commence installation. After Setup you can delete the various setup files from your C:\ directory to save space (especially the large ones in c:\SOURCES )

20. Install the Boot Camp drivers (load up your Mac, go to Bootcamp Assistant, and download the Win 7 drivers to a FAT32-formatted USB stick - then load up windows and insert the stick) - and ensure you load the latest Windows Updates (including SP1) - Enjoy Windows 7 on your Mac!

Really hope this process works for others. Looking forward to reading feedback and any tips you folks may have for improving this 20-step process.

Last edited:
Reactions: AleXXXa

r3voLoLwuT

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Great walkthrough!

I am running into problems when I get to the Windows install. I never get the menu to select which partition I want to install to. It tries to go straight into the installation process and then errors out because it is trying to install windows on top of OSX.

I created a FAT32 partition and selected the "Boot Camp" option for the HDD in Parallels 7. Anything I am doing wrong?

OzyCA

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2011
Not sure why the installer isn't recognising your bootcamp partition. Is the bootcamp partition you created recognised when you open Disk Utility (on your Mac)?

If it is recognised then I think it needs to be unmounted for Parallels to do it's thing.

I've never experienced the issue where the Windows setup (in Parallels) didn't recognise my partition - does it not even pop up the 'where do you want to install' drive menu, even if it only lists one drive?

r3voLoLwuT

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
Not sure why the installer isn't recognising your bootcamp partition. Is the bootcamp partition you created recognised when you open Disk Utility (on your Mac)?

If it is recognised then I think it needs to be unmounted for Parallels to do it's thing.

I've never experienced the issue where the Windows setup (in Parallels) didn't recognise my partition - does it not even pop up the 'where do you want to install' drive menu, even if it only lists one drive?

I never get the normal prompt asking me where I wan to install Windows. Think it has something to do with Parallels skipping that step?

EDIT: Finally got it to work! I ended up not selecting the .iso I wanted to use until later in the process and it worked like a charm! Great walkthrough! Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.