Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puddle27

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
So i've been reading up and i have some questions.

So is this correct. Bootcamp will set up a separate partition, while Parallels doesn't? Also, viruses is only an issue if accessing the web on the Windows side (regardless if using Boot camp or Parallels). so best to access the web on the mac side.

So, which to use? I don't play games, though i do run video editing software. also, is it possible to have both--Boot Camp and Parallels? Will Parallels work if Windows is in a separate partition?

any other pros and cons to consider between using one or the other?

Thanks for the help. I ordered my Macbook Friday and can't wait to set everything up.

puddle27

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
also...

So I was told Boot camp will wipe out the OS X side when installing, because of the whole partitioning.

So does that mean Parallels can be installed at any time and OS X won't need to be re-installed??

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So i've been reading up and i have some questions.

So is this correct. Bootcamp will set up a separate partition, while Parallels doesn't? Also, viruses is only an issue if accessing the web on the Windows side (regardless if using Boot camp or Parallels). so best to access the web on the mac side.

So, which to use? I don't play games, though i do run video editing software. also, is it possible to have both--Boot Camp and Parallels? Will Parallels work if Windows is in a separate partition?

any other pros and cons to consider between using one or the other?

Thanks for the help. I ordered my Macbook Friday and can't wait to set everything up.

If you have enough disk space you can use BOTH parallels and Bootcamp but then you should pay Microsoft for two copies of Windows. You will need to install and "activate" both copies.

Boot Camp puts Windows on a partition while Parallels uses a Mac OS file to hold a copy of a simulated disk drive.

A dual boot computers is not so easy to use because you have to re-boot every time you want to switch. Say you are running some Windows software and you want the check e-mail. Then you have to reboot twice. Better to run both OSes side by side. The only reason to go dual boot is if your Windows software needs drect and exclusive acces to the video hardware this is typically because you are running games.

As for editing video, migrade to the Mac ASAP. Why buy a Mac and then not use it for what it does best?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
So I was told Boot camp will wipe out the OS X side when installing, because of the whole partitioning.

And in case you hadn't figured it out from ChrisA's post (which answers it all pretty succinctly I think), whomever told you this doesn't know what they are talking about.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
Try Parallels out first

You can download and trial parallels for 15-days, assuming you already have a Windows installation CD.

I've been trying Parallels out for the past week and it's very neat...it'll run all types of Windows or Linux, whereas Bootcamp only supports Windows XP SP2.

Unfortunately it doesn't support the one thing I really wanted it for and that's my Garmin GPS device.

And in case you hadn't figured it out from ChrisA's post (which answers it all pretty succinctly I think), whomever told you this doesn't know what they are talking about.

There's been a few people who've accidentally wiped their OSX partition during the Windows part of the installation.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
There's been a few people who've accidentally wiped their OSX partition during the Windows part of the installation.

I can see that happening if one attempts to install Windows over their OS X installation and not use the C: drive ( I believe it marks the OS X partition as E: ). However.. "can" and "will" are not the same beast. :)

I've been trying Parallels out for the past week and it's very neat...it'll run all types of Windows or Linux, whereas Bootcamp only supports Windows XP SP2.

And Vista, though not by design or documentation.

puddle27

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
thanks for quick response

Thanks for the quick response. So i guess this means Parallels is the way to go unless running certain games, which i don't care all that much. but, does that only concern Windows based games? so Mac games should be fine?

and i am switching to mac based editing software, there's just a couple programs i'll be using on the pc side.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Just installed both BootCamp (XP) and Parallels (Win2K) yesterday.

BootCamp needed for full DirectX support. Parallels because I don't need the video acceleration and also need the Windows app running along side OS-X apps. (I believe Parallels is working on the video, though).

6GB partition for XP and app I use it for (RealFlight R/C simulator). Have about 1.25GB free. Installation took about an hour for XP (painful), plus about 15min more for the Mac Driver install. It went smoothly, no hiccups. Well, as smoothly as XP install can be...

3 GB virtual drive for Parallels. About 1.5GB free (RAM set to 256MB, so swap file's probably fairly small - haven't checked, tho). Had to use Shared Network. I'm not using VPN or the like, so being on another subnet shouldn't be an issue for me. Not sure why the Bridged didn't work, but wasn't interested enough to find out, when the Shared worked ok. So far, the performance and integration w/ OS-X is great.

17" C2D MBP, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.