Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blitzydog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Hey,

Does XP with Bootcamp recognize the webcam and allow its use in, say, MSN Messenger?

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
It recognizes it, but when you try to use it, it will crash XP and it won't recognize it ever again.

Simply: no

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
blitzydog said:
Damn, well that surely sucks!

It will probably be fixed in future versions of Boot Camp. All it really needs is a driver to work. Maybe if they update Boot Camp again before Leopard, or in Leopard we will see it.

blitzydog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
If I install and use bootcamp, I can still modify windows, right? I mean like.. if I went ahead and used this version of bootcamp that's out now, and a later one fixes the isight issue, will I need to do the bootcamp isntallation all over again, or just isntall a driver from within windows?

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
From what I have heard, not sure if its true, is that apple will not make a driver for it. As they don't want the isight able to work with any windows machine. I think it is one of the best webcams out there, and they may not want windows machines using it.:eek: But they might that is just what i have heard.

ncook06

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2006
Tampa, FL
trainguy77 said:
From what I have heard, not sure if its true, is that apple will not make a driver for it. As they don't want the isight able to work with any windows machine. I think it is one of the best webcams out there, and they may not want windows machines using it.:eek: But they might that is just what i have heard.

Sounds like good business to me... :rolleyes:

blitzydog

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Well i know Yahoo Messenger on mac supports video convos quite well - i use it sometimes.

Never heard of aMSN though! hmm

Is this finally a version of msn for mac that allows webcam usage with pc mac users? !!! I'll have to try it out when my Macbook comes (Today or tomorrow!!)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
ncook06 said:
Sounds like good business to me... :rolleyes:
Worked for the iPod :rolleyes:

Seriously, there's a bug difference between supporting the standalone FireWire iSight vs. the built in USB ones. The built-ins only come with a Mac, so Apple has already made their money on 'em.

B

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
blitzydog said:
Well i know Yahoo Messenger on mac supports video convos quite well - i use it sometimes.

Never heard of aMSN though! hmm

Is this finally a version of msn for mac that allows webcam usage with pc mac users? !!! I'll have to try it out when my Macbook comes (Today or tomorrow!!)

OOPS. I forgot to mention. Yes yahoo messenger does support video. I was asking for Audio too. You can have video chat but without audio AFAIK.

FongMan

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2006
just use aMSN on MacOS. it supports the iSight.

Then you don't need windows either

do you have any problems with aMSN at all? like moves very slowly? or messages don't appear in the window but you hear the notification that you received a message? :confused:

jonmf76

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2006
Vikas Soni,

I can use my isight with Yahoo Messenger on OS X side. I haven't tried it on the Windows side, but if it crashes it, maybe I'll wait for the Boot Camp update with the fix for that. Anyone have an idea when that might be out?

Thanks!

Jon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.