Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcb08

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
I am interested in booting another OS, Besides OSX, such as linux, from a Flashdrive. I was wondering how I might go about actually getting this to work with OSX. I've found some versions of Linux that can boot from a Flashdrive, but I'm not sure how I would get my Macbook to recognize it.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
It should "just work". Plug the flash drive into a USB port and reboot while holding the option key. I know you can boot to the Ubuntu live DVD.

kastenbrust

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2008
North Korea
I am interested in booting another OS, Besides OSX, such as linux, from a Flashdrive. I was wondering how I might go about actually getting this to work with OSX. I've found some versions of Linux that can boot from a Flashdrive, but I'm not sure how I would get my Macbook to recognize it.

The same way any computer would go about recognising it.

To be honest if you even need to ask us here without checking google I really wouldn't try it alone.

Which Linux distro are you intending to use?

Agurri

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Québec, Canada
I would not suggest running a full GUI Linux from a USB key. My friend tried to do so : it was sure booting, but the key wasn't speedy enough for his work (programming). The OS would lock after 10-15 minutes, then he needed to reboot...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.