Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coneja

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2017
first off i have the MBP mid 2012 MD101LL/A
so i went thru cmd+option+R & erased my "main" partition ( lets call it MP )
[i partitioned my mbp so i could run windows on it]
so anyway, i selected MP & for format i picked Mac OS Extended (journaled), left the security options to fastest & then hit erase
after that i went to Reinstall Mac OS X & started downloading the OS copy but I keep getting errors
ive gotten the -1007f error & -5010d & ive also just gotten something along the lines of
there was an error try again

ive tried reinstalling thru cmd+R
i also got my Mac OS X install disk from my Mac desktop & tried booting it up from that by pressing C when i turn it on. ive also tried holding down option & manually selecting it to boot up the disk but neither of the two work
i read that the disks are created for their own respective macs so i'm not sure if that has anything to do with it
when i searched the -5010d error someone said they got it to work by just connecting to the internet through their ethernet cable, tried that & no luck
i also keep getting the -1007f error when i press cmd+option+R after the "this might take a minute" screen

idk im stumped and dont know what to do other than trying to create my own bootable disk but i wanted to see if their might be any other solutions before i do that
any ideas?? :confused:
[doublepost=1485071407][/doublepost]oh i also tried zapping the PRAM too

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Sounds like either the hard-drive is faulty, the SATA cable is faulty, or a combination of the two.

If you haven't yet changed your drive from purchase date, it's likely that's failing due to its age. I'd start by replacing the HDD, preferably for an SSD; an SSD will vastly improve system performance and they have a significantly lower failure rate. It'll run better than new.

If you're still having a problem after replacing the drive, it's got to be the SATA cable. Take it to an Apple Store as the mid-2012 13" MBPs have a silent repair program for the SATA cable; it's a very common failure which occurs naturally over time (wear & tear/deterioration due to dust/air).

If you don't have an Apple Store local to you, let us know where you're located and we'll find you a new SATA cable for circa £20/$30.

Reactions: BarracksSi

bcave098

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2015
Northern British Columbia
1000 errors are typically hardware issues and 5000 errors are issues downloading the recovery partition. The letters change based on what you're doing (f is for holding the keys, d for diagnostics).

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Sounds like either the hard-drive is faulty, the SATA cable is faulty, or a combination of the two.

If you haven't yet changed your drive from purchase date, it's likely that's failing due to its age. I'd start by replacing the HDD, preferably for an SSD; an SSD will vastly improve system performance and they have a significantly lower failure rate. It'll run better than new.

If you're still having a problem after replacing the drive, it's got to be the SATA cable. Take it to an Apple Store as the mid-2012 13" MBPs have a silent repair program for the SATA cable; it's a very common failure which occurs naturally over time (wear & tear/deterioration due to dust/air).

If you don't have an Apple Store local to you, let us know where you're located and we'll find you a new SATA cable for circa £20/$30.
+1 to this, although I'd say that if you've got an Apple Store nearby, take it to them first. They may replace the cable for you that day if they've got one on hand. They did it for me a few weeks ago to fix my mid-2012 13", and you know as well as I do that it's out of warranty.

If you don't have a store in your area, contact Apple Support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.