Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac000

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 6, 2005
Possible to boot OSX/bootcamp from external FW800 harddrive? How are loading speeds different compared to an internal 5400rpm drive? I'd like to load XP on external and install some windows games on there to play. Also, possible if I would buy an OWC eSata hard drive , is it possible to boot from an eSata connection?

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
if you get a good harddrive, 7200rpm, i dont see why it wouldnt be faster

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.
TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER: Not to be rude, but please do a search before making a thread. It is currently not easy to set up BootCamp to boot from any external drive, interface irrelevant (i.e. FW800, USB 2.0, etc.). Also, to my knowledge, Windows XP will not boot off of an ext. drive. Perhaps by the time BootCamp is no longer in beta status that feature will be implemented. Iirc, there's actually a thread as well as a guide here @ MR detailing what people have done to get this working. I'd suggest you take a look at one or both of them.

Trust me. I want this to be possible as well.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
TO THE ORIGINAL POSTER: Not to be rude, but please do a search before making a thread. It is currently not easy to set up BootCamp to boot from any external drive, interface irrelevant (i.e. FW800, USB 2.0, etc.). Also, to my knowledge, Windows XP will not boot off of an ext. drive. Perhaps by the time BootCamp is no longer in beta status that feature will be implemented. Iirc, there's actually a thread as well as a guide here @ MR detailing what people have done to get this working. I'd suggest you take a look at one or both of them.

Trust me. I want this to be possible as well.

XP & Vista boot just fine from eSata drives on a standard PC using the built-in Sata ports. The issue is with the add-on cards. Unless the MBPro efi boot functionality allows the add-on card to load before the OS, booting from an add-on express slot card will not work.

Perhaps some industrious chap has hacked efi using specific cards but I am not aware of any but we can't say Windows cannot boot externally. I do it all the time.

Cheers,

whateverandever

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2006
Baltimore
I successfully booted the leopard install DVD from a USB external drive so I imagine if you can get it installed properly on the external drive it shouldnt be a problem at all. I remember hearing about problems installing windows to external drives though so good luck with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.