Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Steam's licensing policy and how SteamPlay works. I cannot get into specifics for various reasons but simply put companies need to cover their costs so they can keep porting games. If you don't cover your costs you cannot make more Mac games.

We do have our games in pretty much every other digital download store. They all (apart from the App Store) use our own DRM solution which was designed by us internally. We do not allow any repackaging by resellers.

Our own DRM only had one main goal in design. If we had to buy a game with DRM what is the best DRM solution we can think of? We took that plan and made it. You can have 5 Mac's registered at any one time, registering is a one off thing per computer. It has no phone home and no offline mode is needed.

You can even skip the online registration and use the DVD as the security token if you live somewhere with no internet at all (or if you really don't like online registration).

Edwin

Thanks for the quick answer, that's pretty much what I thought (cost). As far as the DRM stuff, wow. Your description of the DRM in place for your software definitely means I'll be buying directly from Feral from now on. I am so happy to see the rare combo of talent, quality, and integrity you guys are putting out. Blizzard has all but forsaken the Mac (classic games don't run on Lion+, new games require active internet connection, a small portion of your estate, and weekly blood/urine/stool samples).

I am totally putting Bioshock, Borderlands, Bioshock II, Batman - Arkham Asylum, Deus Ex - HR, Tomb Raider - Underworld, and a couple of the Lego games on the to-do list.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.