Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
spine said:
I am still waiting for a store in Providence.
Job listings have appeared - but no announcement yet.

Does anyone have info?

You won't get an announcement from Apple until 5-7 days before the store opens. It looks like a early summer opening if it goes on a normal schedule, but the best thing to do is go and scout out the mall to see how things are progressing on the store. Next time you're in the area give us a report, ok?

As to the stories in the thread topic, readers of the New Apple stores? thread will have already heard of them. While the news of a high-profile downtown Boston store is something many here have been waiting for, it's still in the planning stages. As store watchers know from the experience of the cancelled Flatiron store in NYC and the ongoing process in Portland for a 23rd avenue location, getting by these review process hurdles is not a sure thing. Still, at this time it looks like a new Boston store is, for the time being anyway, a go.

For me, the big news in the midtown NYC story is the projected May opening date. It's been a long while (first reports in 2004) constructing this huge store and it will be interesting to see how Steve Jobs' personally designed glass cube works out.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I wonder if these new 24 hr. stores will be more then stores... maybe internet cafes, if I recall there was a wish to serve beverages in the first round of apple stores... I think I read that somewhere. It would be cool if they added a theater too.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
zim said:
I wonder if these new 24 hr. stores will be more then stores... maybe internet cafes, if I recall there was a wish to serve beverages in the first round of apple stores... I think I read that somewhere. It would be cool if they added a theater too.

I don't know if they ever actually intended to sell beverages, but the Apple stores originally distributed bottled water. I think it would be awesome if these 24 hour Apple Stores had a coffee house/cyber cafe in them. Otherwise, I can't see them doing any significant business late at night.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
This is great news, but why 24 hours? Who really wants to buy an iPod at 3 AM? Hmm, unless they are coming home from the bar, drunk... might be an interesting market for Apple to capture... :p ;)

Deepdale

macrumors 68000
May 4, 2005
New York
EricNau said:
I like the idea of a flagship Apple Store, but open 24 hours a day, that just doesn't make sense.

I agree, but for those out during the overnight hours I am sure the available bathrooms will prove to be more popular than anything else inside the store.

Sayhey

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2003
San Francisco
This is New York, the City that Never Sleeps. Of course there will be late night buyers. ;) Just think of all those Today show producers who need a power mac at 3:00 am.

KREX725

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
ketha said:
apparently it costs nearly as much to keep a shop closed as open, as most of the running costs are the same and any sales cover the costs. I just imagine 'dodgy' types coming in... you'd need security on the door, surely?

If the NYPD are anything like cops in my area, they'll have no trouble finding officers to work secondary employment at the Apple Store overnight. If they make the same rate as our guys they could pay them with a 2GB Nano per night.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
this boston store better be open up during the school year and not in the summer....
the NYC open 24 hrs will just be asking to get robed at 4.30 AM. The only reason why i can see why it will be open is for the genius bar for people like me who re-name their home folder.... :eek: :D

Thataboy

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2004
New York, NY
Re: NYC (where I now live)

I don't understand the necessity of a 24/7 Apple Store. No matter what non-New Yorkers think, this city DOES sleep. Moreover, that area (midtown) DEFINITELY DOES sleep. Who is even in that neighborhood after business hours?

Of course, I will totally check it out, and hope it's wicked successful.

Re: Boston (where I used to live)

That.
Is.
A.
****ing.
Amazing.
Location.

That is probably the best location of any Apple Store, ever. :) I remember the old days, when I had to schlep to Tyson's Corner (when I lived in DC). You kids don't know how good you have it, with these million Apple Stores on every corner!

I do, however, highly anticipate the Providence Place location too (I used to live in RI, visit often)

Have I lived everywhere? :)

Lord Sandwich

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
Advantages of a 24-hour Genius Bar aside (and lord knows we need one in the city), they'll probably have all sorts of promotional events there like concerts and perhaps Disney/Pixar movie premieres. All ties into the whole Apple Lifestyle concept.

The Virgin Megastore in Times Square already tries to do this, but I'm sure Apple can do a much better job. :cool:

asanchezm

macrumors member
May 12, 2005
The NY Store will be made of Glass

From what I've heard from people that are in buildings near where the NY store is going up they tell me that the actual store is made of GLASS!!! They can look into it from their offices.

I think that anyone from New York can go and confirm this. :cool:

KREX725

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
asanchezm said:
From what I've heard from people that are in buildings near where the NY store is going up they tell me that the actual store is made of GLASS!!! They can look into it from their offices.

Just in case this dork comment hasn't been made yet...

I just hope Apple remembers that old saying, "Those who live in glass houses..."

:p

bikechess

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2006
CO
Who cares about Boston and NY?

We are getting 2 Apple stores in Boulder, CO!

Good for my Mac habit. Bad for my savings account.

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
asanchezm said:

Well, the entrance is made of glass. It's a giant glass cube designed by Stevie Jobs himself. Don't know if the rest of the store is glass, though. It's underground, so it leads me to believe it'll have some form of concrete reinforcement, and few windows.

I'm thrilled they're putting one up in midtown, and completely overjoyed that it'll be 24/7!!! The Genius Bar in SoHo is so crowded, that if you don't show up by 8am, you won't get in until the evening. Even on weekdays.

And, no, nobody's going to rob the new Apple Store at 4am. That area is very ritzy, clean, and heavily guarded with tons of surveilance 'round he clock. It's Fifth Avenue! Tiffany's is there! There's very few sketchy people in that area, and they won't want to go in to a brightly-lit ultra-modern glass cube that descends into a technological paradise.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
asanchezm said:

i have seen the new location, and there is a big cube covered in black wood or something around it. the class cube is actually just a giant entry way to the UNDERGROUND store.

apple will need security there if the store is opened or closed at night. An apple store will have maybe even up to a half million dollars in a store. think about it, powermacs, powerbooks, ibooks, imacs, software, cameras, ACDs, airports, mightymouses, isights, almost forgot iPods, etc. it all adds up. This being apples flagship store, they will probably have even more equipment than SoHo and most apple stores. The only thing they need is 1 or 2 genius bar people, 1 or 2 salespeople/casheirs, and 1 guy to clean the place. not too much extra.

edit: jrv got to it before i could finish typing this all. he is right about all the security, THEY ARE OUTSIDE OF THE GOOD MORNING AMERICA STUDIOS, so nobody will rob them in the morning. it is really busy during the rest of the day, and cameras are everywhere. But i think with so much equipment, apple should have some security people to guard the inventory. at least one. I don't know what the store will look like, but it being in the basement means that there won't be a basement where they keep everything like in SoHo. we'll just have to wait and see. its alot closer to me than soho and will probably get me to go to the apple store instead of store.apple.com.

also, the fact that apple controls the elevators to get out means that if the guy robs it, and takes the elevator up with 10 grand worth of apple stuff and cash, they can remotely lock the doors, turn off the elevator when they get out, and they'll be stuck there until the police come. that would be cool. stuck in a glass cube while the police come.

if anyone says, couldn't they just punch the glass out and go out that way, apple is probably using something like bullett proof glass or something. i don't think steve wants his masterpiece to be ruinued by a crook punching it or throwing stones at it.

intlplby

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
that store location is so expensive, it would be it would be stupid not to make it 24hr.....

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
intlplby said:
that store location is so expensive, it would be it would be stupid not to make it 24hr.....

That's actually a good point - might as well try and get the most bang for your buck as possible! :cool:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Sounds like they should use these new glass stores as sets in sci-fi movies.

The glass cube sounds really cool--I suppose the elevators will be all-glass sitting on a piston, so even THEY won't require anything but glass above-ground.

I wonder if they will have benches or something for people to "hang out" and get free Wi Fi inside the cube. Fun in a rainstorm!

joelwnelson

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2005
No fair...

No fair... some cities are getting multiple Apple stores (even relatively small metro areas) while mid-size U.S. cities such as Omaha and Pittsburgh still have yet to get one Apple store. What's the deal? :confused:

Gm7Cadd9

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2005
The location in Boston is great, right across the street from the Berklee College of Music... NOW, imagine if the boston store was 24/7... I can see some college students hitting up the apple store real late....come to think of it, not just Berklee, any of the 23873423874 schools in the Boston area would love this.

spine

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2005
warwick RI
jholzner said:
This is according to ifoapplestore.com

Providence Place - Providence, RI - indoor, 3-level downtown mall. At an April 2004 conference, Sr. V-P Retail Ron Johnson said the company had been trying to arrange a space in the mall for over a year, and promised to eventually find a prime space there for a retail store. In Feb. 2005 the Eddie Bauer and Athelete's Foot stores closed, creating potential spaces for Apple. In May, Apple finally signed a lease for space inside the mall, in the ground-floor space formerly Bailey Banks and Biddle. On Jan. 5, 2006 appeared as a job location on Apple's Web site. Grand opening June, 2006. updated

Thanks!
I was actually at the conference and saw R.Johnson speak.
It was a great talk about apple's retail philosophy.

The Red Wolf

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
Occi Dens Pacifica
The Religion of Technology™

24/7/365... Apple always on. Seems they're drawing closer to the Totality of the Religion of Technology from the their shrines of glass and steel. This is so Technomicon© 1997 -Diamhinn nac Grianne. Seriously though, think of it. World Wide Religion... An icon that all bow to... An Avatar who rallies the people under that logo. Seems like the term Apple Zelot goes to a new level... Strange how the nano and the shuffle are a bit like Crucifixes... Welcome brothers and sisters to the Religion of Technology. Apple the central Demi-urge of our industrial futurism...

~The Red Wolf~

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.