Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpa777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2002
Summary:

After a botched/interrupted OS X 10.2 installation (over the existing 10.1.5 install), and then installing Jaguar OS X 10.2 successfully, the free space on my hard drive has been reduced by about 11-12 GB!!!! :( Why?? Leftover temporary files from the original botched installation? Where do I look to find these files? Can anyone let me know how to clean it all up? Thanks!

Details:

Yesterday, I attempted to install OS X 10.2 Jaguar on my PowerBook 667 DVI over the current 10.1.5 installation. The first attempt went horribly wrong. After answering all the installation questions, the installation started and I sat back and watched. It seemed to be going very very slow. Eventually the "time remaining" estimate increased to well over THREE HOURS. After about three hours (during which the installation was proceeding very slowly, and the CD spinning wildly - I thought my CD player would burn out and the laptop was very hot), the estimated time began to go down, until it said "about 16 minutes remaining". At this point the progress bar showed that the installation was approximately 80% done. Then everything stopped. The CD stopped spinning and everything just paused. Nothing I did could make it continue. After more than half an hour, I was forced to turn the laptop off by holding the power down until everything shut down.

After that, even though the install CD was still in the drive, I couldn't make the computer restart, even if I pressed "C" while started the computer. I finally had to do a ctrl-option-P-R reboot and it finally booted up from the CD and took me to the installation menu again. I tried to go thru all the steps (language, readme, license, etc), but it was EXTREMELY slow. I think my CD player had just gotten too hot and wouldn't work properly.

I decided to turn it all off and leave it overnight to cool down.

This morning I tried it again and the install proceeded with no problems and was completed within half an hour. I only used the computer for about 5 minutes after that before I left for work, but everything seemed to be working fine.

(Why did it take more than three hours the first time????).

Anyway, now the free space on my hard drive has been reduced by about 11-12 GB!!!! :( Why?? Leftover temporary files from the original botched installation? Where do I look to find these files? Can anyone let me know how to clean it all up? Thanks!

JPA

jpa777

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2002
oops

sorry for posting this message twice. please ignore this particular thread and look at the other thread with the same title.
Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.