Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macMD

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2005
New York
Honestly as someone who does change his phone often an has gone from the iP5 to a GS3 I would say wait. No sense in getting it now since it will be updated to some extent in 6 months or so.

One key factor for ditching my iP5 btw is the failure of Apple to not allow simultaneous voice/data on Verizon LTE. Most if not all Android phones are capable of using data on LTE and voice and 3G yet the iPhone can't. I certainly hope its resolved in the next model but I'm sure it won't be.

xAnthony

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2010
As I reach my sixth decade of life it occurs to me that sometimes, waiting and continuing to use what I do not enjoy as much, is not worth a measly $150. Losing $150 will not affect my life. But losing a half-year, or however long it will be, of my remaining time certainly will. You can always get more money, you cannot get more life.

More people need this mentality. Something new and better will always be just around the corner. Why wait for the iPhone 5S when you can wait another year and have an even better iPhone 6! People need to buy whatever makes them happy as you can always make more money.... You'll never get that year in which you waited back.

You sir, made my day.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
I have 4 Samsung TV's :) 2 32" LCD's, 1 42" LCD, and 1 52" Plasma.

Um okay forget the tv idea I gave then lol.

----------

Do you seek advice from internet forums for all your trivial decisions?

The OP is just simply asking our views. Nothing trivial about it all. If you have nothing good to contribute about the OPs question then best no say anything at all and stop hijacking threads.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
The only reason why iOS is perceived to be smoother than the galaxy s3 is because iOS is severely lacking on the software side. Yes it is a very strong mature and capable mobile OS and i don't hate it. But the Galaxy s3 and android in general has way more features and tweaks that slow the system down more than iOS does, this is why android OEMs have to constantly put out more powerful hardware to be able to handle it all. iOS is just an app launcher and the multi-tasking isn't real multitasking so therefore its a piece of cake for the processors.

That's not true since I have my iPhone 5 jail broken with many of the same features that android has normally and my iPhone still runs just as smooth as day one. Much smoother then my old S3 ever did.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
That's not true since I have my iPhone 5 jail broken with many of the same features that android has normally and my iPhone still runs just as smooth as day one. Much smoother then my old S3 ever did.

After a jail break most android fans have nothing to argue about

Peanut207

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Lesson learned here folks is that the grass is not always greener on the other side. It's just too bad the OP had to go to the "other side" to realize it. I would get the 5 now and if the 5s or 6 warrant an upgrade sell the 5 for no loss of $. Good luck

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Took the deal for the 5 and am glad I did!

But having an issue now with iMessage, it's been stuck on "waiting for activation" for the last hour. It works with my Apple ID, but doesn't seem to want to iMessage with my phone number. Any tips?

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
The only reason why iOS is perceived to be smoother than the galaxy s3 is because iOS is severely lacking on the software side. Yes it is a very strong mature and capable mobile OS and i don't hate it. But the Galaxy s3 and android in general has way more features and tweaks that slow the system down more than iOS does, this is why android OEMs have to constantly put out more powerful hardware to be able to handle it all. iOS is just an app launcher and the multi-tasking isn't real multitasking so therefore its a piece of cake for the processors.

Actually this is completly inaccurate. Its widely known that Apple has hardware acceleration down perfect on iOS, and its also known that iPhones usually contain the best mobile GPU's on the market which is the main thing when your using hardware acceleration. Thats why iOS is smoother because its a more efficient OS that utilizes the hardware given better. What the hell is the difference with Android? You have a bunch of apps everywhere with a app drawer too there is no difference. A few widgets doesnt bog down anything, my Brothers note 2 has one widget on his homescreen and the rest is all apps all over, and its still not as smooth as my iPhone 5. This is completle nonsense

Please name me some of these "tweaks and features" that iOS doesnt have that bogs down Android. Android shouldnt have slowdowns and graphical frame rate lag still with a super powerful S4 Pro quad core CPU clocked at 1.6 ghz with 2 gb of ram and the i5 only has a dual core clocked at 1.3 ghz and is still smoother

I have over 20 tweaks and utilities from Cydia on my jailbroken i5 and it hasnt slowed down my phone at all, hell i downloaded Accelerate and my iPhone 5 is even faster then ever! I showed my brother(who has a Note 2) my i5 with Accelerate tweak on and he was blown away by the speed of my
I5

----------

Exactly, i downloaded the Accelerate tweak from Cydia and my i5 is now even faster then before

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
More people need this mentality. Something new and better will always be just around the corner. Why wait for the iPhone 5S when you can wait another year and have an even better iPhone 6! People need to buy whatever makes them happy as you can always make more money.... You'll never get that year in which you waited back.

You sir, made my day.

*THUMBSUP*

"Getting old beats the alternative."

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Took the deal for the 5 and am glad I did!

But having an issue now with iMessage, it's been stuck on "waiting for activation" for the last hour. It works with my Apple ID, but doesn't seem to want to iMessage with my phone number. Any tips?

congrats :)

MR Bulk

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2013
I once told my wife (who always says wait and there'll be a better one, or the original one will be cheaper, etc.), "Hell yeah! Why don't I just wait till I'm on my deathbed? Then I can get the (iPhone 27 or whatever they call it by then) for like $2 and use it for like two minutes...just before I die!"

She did not answer me...

Newtoiphone17

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
Actually this is completly inaccurate. Its widely known that Apple has hardware acceleration down perfect on iOS, and its also known that iPhones usually contain the best mobile GPU's on the market which is the main thing when your using hardware acceleration. Thats why iOS is smoother because its a more efficient OS that utilizes the hardware given better. What the hell is the difference with Android? You have a bunch of apps everywhere with a app drawer too there is no difference. A few widgets doesnt bog down anything, my Brothers note 2 has one widget on his homescreen and the rest is all apps all over, and its still not as smooth as my iPhone 5. This is completle nonsense

Please name me some of these "tweaks and features" that iOS doesnt have that bogs down Android. Android shouldnt have slowdowns and graphical frame rate lag still with a super powerful S4 Pro quad core CPU clocked at 1.6 ghz with 2 gb of ram and the i5 only has a dual core clocked at 1.3 ghz and is still smoother

I have over 20 tweaks and utilities from Cydia on my jailbroken i5 and it hasnt slowed down my phone at all, hell i downloaded Accelerate and my iPhone 5 is even faster then ever! I showed my brother(who has a Note 2) my i5 with Accelerate tweak on and he was blown away by the speed of my
I5

----------

Exactly, i downloaded the Accelerate tweak from Cydia and my i5 is now even faster then before

Well said, android is still in beta in my book. Maybe in 3 or 4 years they'll learn what smooth means. Did project butter help?

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
The S3: too big, screen is too dim, and screen is too poor quality (pentile matrix).
Also, would want to have stock android as a must.
Other than that I do like the flexibility: removeable battery, sd card slot--the two things so many phones lack.

Don't underestimate one-handed use. I would say that to a a brand new smartphone user who had never used an iphone, an S3 would be fine. But use an iphone first, and you will start to see the limitations of an S3, which mainly center around hardware (too big, not one handed, and poor screen). As soon as someone makes a 4.0 inch flagship Android phone, I'm there.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
[/COLOR]

I used to have a S3 before my i5 and it was not a bad device but it doesnt compare to the i5 imo. I cant count how many times i had to pull out my battery from my S3 because the screen went black and the navigation lights on the bottom remain on somehow. I had no choice but to pull out the battery to fix that. This was extremely frustrating and it occured alot.

Not only that, just random apps would crash at least once or twice a day. The messaging app crashed at least once a day( not a huge big deal but wtf seriously lol?)

Just one of the many advantages of making your own OS and your own hardware

----------

Well said, android is still in beta in my book. Maybe in 3 or 4 years they'll learn what smooth means. Did project butter help?

Its not to say that JellyBean is not smooth, it is smooth and it is a much needed update to the core of Android. Funny thing is that us iOS users have been enjoying a smooth consistent OS since day one. Now with that being said, thats all JellyBean is, the touch recognition and inertia and scrolling on JellyBean is far inferior. It doesnt follow your finger as good as iOS and thats why it feels like your dragging everything when you scroll instead of the OS following your finger precisely. Its all over the place and even though it works, its inferior to iOS. I actually dislike how scrolling and panning around is on JellyBean, it doesnt feel natural and its kind of awkward. Not to mention, Jelly Bean still has frame rate lag in the notification center when you have alot of notifications there and alot of Android apps still dont have Jelly Bean code in them so they lag and the animations arent really smooth

With that being said, Google and its OS, Android is defitnelty catching up to iOS fast, but im very confident in Apple and the future of iOS so

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
So after getting the iPhone 5, my initial impression is how much faster my iPhone is than the Galaxy S3, though Touchwiz might be to blame. The S3 wasn't slow, but the iPhone seems much smoother. And the accelerate jailbreak app makes it even faster by speeding up the animations

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
[/COLOR]

I used to have a S3 before my i5 and it was not a bad device but it doesnt compare to the i5 imo. I cant count how many times i had to pull out my battery from my S3 because the screen went black and the navigation lights on the bottom remain on somehow. I had no choice but to pull out the battery to fix that. This was extremely frustrating and it occured alot.

Not only that, just random apps would crash at least once or twice a day. The messaging app crashed at least once a day( not a huge big deal but wtf seriously lol?)

Just one of the many advantages of making your own OS and your own hardware

----------

Its not to say that JellyBean is not smooth, it is smooth and it is a much needed update to the core of Android. Funny thing is that us iOS users have been enjoying a smooth consistent OS since day one. Now with that being said, thats all JellyBean is, the touch recognition and inertia and scrolling on JellyBean is far inferior. It doesnt follow your finger as good as iOS and thats why it feels like your dragging everything when you scroll instead of the OS following your finger precisely. Its all over the place and even though it works, its inferior to iOS. I actually dislike how scrolling and panning around is on JellyBean, it doesnt feel natural and its kind of awkward. Not to mention, Jelly Bean still has frame rate lag in the notification center when you have alot of notifications there and alot of Android apps still dont have Jelly Bean code in them so they lag and the animations arent really smooth

With that being said, Google and its OS, Android is defitnelty catching up to iOS fast, but im very confident in Apple and the future of iOS so

Agreed. Especially on the fluidness and speed, smoothness of ios.

Newtoiphone17

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
The S3: too big, screen is too dim, and screen is too poor quality (pentile matrix).
Also, would want to have stock android as a must.
Other than that I do like the flexibility: removeable battery, sd card slot--the two things so many phones lack.

Don't underestimate one-handed use. I would say that to a a brand new smartphone user who had never used an iphone, an S3 would be fine. But use an iphone first, and you will start to see the limitations of an S3, which mainly center around hardware (too big, not one handed, and poor screen). As soon as someone makes a 4.0 inch flagship Android phone, I'm there.

I couldn't agree more, the larger screen was welcomed because I have long fingers. The over all quality & over all user experience was just not up to par with the iPhone 5. First the camera, yeah it's a 8mp shooter...but Samsung does'nt really care about their sensors like Apple. The SGS3 sucked in low lighting situations. That plastic..... Samsung should be ashamed of themselves. Making it light weight can't be a valid excuse because the iPhone 5 is lighter & is made of metal. The sgs3 has a plastic bezel that "looks and feels like metal" smh.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
I couldn't agree more, the larger screen was welcomed because I have long fingers. The over all quality & over all user experience was just not up to par with the iPhone 5. First the camera, yeah it's a 8mp shooter...but Samsung does'nt really care about their sensors like Apple. The SGS3 sucked in low lighting situations. That plastic..... Samsung should be ashamed of themselves. Making it light weight can't be a valid excuse because the iPhone 5 is lighter & is made of metal. The sgs3 has a plastic bezel that "looks and feels like metal" smh.

The build quality would of felt better if it was at least a plastic unibody but its not. The back felt creaky and im just not a big fan of plastic anyway i prefer metal phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.