Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Long story short, I bought an iPhone 6s 128Gb outright at Apple Trafford Centre UK yesterday as an upgrade for my 6 128GB (didn't trade in however) - paid for outright £699. Currently using EE on a SIM only deal £15 for 2GB per month.

I did go through the EE's 24 month contract options in store with an Apple sales guy - now wishing I'd gone on contract (£369 upfront, £26pm for 2GB for 24 months).

Does the 14 day no quibble refund apply to in-store purchases as it does with mail order? if so, could I 'return' the 6s then take it again on the above EE contract in store still?

Toying with the idea of going back later to try, but will save myself the trip if its a no go.

Appreciate anyones thoughts!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Apple may refuse your refund request as long as you have unpacked your device. It is written on the receipt.
So I am afraid you cannot switch to contract as you wish.

canuckRus

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2014
Long story short, I bought an iPhone 6s 128Gb outright at Apple Trafford Centre UK yesterday as an upgrade for my 6 128GB (didn't trade in however) - paid for outright £699. Currently using EE on a SIM only deal £15 for 2GB per month.

I did go through the EE's 24 month contract options in store with an Apple sales guy - now wishing I'd gone on contract (£369 upfront, £26pm for 2GB for 24 months).

Does the 14 day no quibble refund apply to in-store purchases as it does with mail order? if so, could I 'return' the 6s then take it again on the above EE contract in store still?

Toying with the idea of going back later to try, but will save myself the trip if its a no go.

Appreciate anyones thoughts!

Nothing to lose in trying a return.

Reactions: Brenster

chillip

macrumors 68030
Mar 16, 2013
You can return the phone no problems even though you have opened it. I have done this numerous times. As Long as you have returned it within 14 days. Ignore the first reply.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
As above you can return it but in all fairness you can get a better deal if you keep it and get a sim only deal.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Just back from Apple Store - they were entirely happy 'returning' the 6s and then selling it back to me on contract, also allowing me to trade in my 6 and bolt Applecare+ on to boot.

The 14 day remorse period does apply to Apple Store bought phones as well as laptops etc. Took a while to check the 6s back in and then start the sales process again as a new contract sale. Now happily re-upgraded to the 6s from my old 6 on the contract I really ought to have bought it on last night.

Serious Kudos to Apple and the Manchester Trafford Centre store in particular though. The level of service offered this afternoon has been astonishingly good, with no net gain for Apple themselves aside from a thoroughly delighted customer. Pretty sure I wouldn't have got such flexibility and service from either EE (who I was with sim only before and now on contract) or Carphone Warehouse.

Appreciate every taking the time to reply!

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The only downfall is, you have to return that device and you will get a new device. So you will have to go through the process of setting it up again, and hoping you don't have any defects.

---
Edit: They sold you the same device back? Very odd. Can't do that in the States.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
The only downfall is, you have to return that device and you will get a new device. So you will have to go through the process of setting it up again, and hoping you don't have any defects.

I'd already restore by encrypted backup to the 6s last night - Apple only notionally checked the phone back in before starting the resale process; kept the same phone without them getting a new one or me having to reimage anything.
[doublepost=1463243924][/doublepost]
Edit: They sold you the same device back? Very odd. Can't do that in the States.

Interesting - is there specific consumer laws about having to receive a brand new product when buying new Stateside? I'm guessing other than maybe cars, smartphones are relatively unique in how they can be bought - outright from the retailer/manufacturer, on contract with a subset of the price upfront and the rest as part of a monthly tariff etc.

Either way aside from my new carrier contract mandating a new nano-sim (which Apple themselves supplied), the phone bought last night was wholly unchanged with changing from bought outright to contract.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
---

Since they went to live inventory you've been able to do this in the uk.

I did exactly the same earlier this year due to an employee failing to price match.

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 7, 2008
Since they went to live inventory you've been able to do this in the uk.

I did exactly the same earlier this year due to an employee failing to price match.

Live inventory? I'm not familiar sorry. (Although extremely glad I didn't have to either setup a new device for the second time, or re-setup the one I'd bought the night before)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.