Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

050626-hulu_400.jpg

Boxee.tv has announced that they are offering Hulu.com, CBS.com and Comedy Central streaming support into their media management application.

Boxee is a free personal media application that is installable on your Apple TV. Boxee provides your Apple TV with playback support for a wide variety of media types across local networks and the internet. While the process has been simplified, installing Boxee on your Apple TV still requires a multi-step process involving a bootable USB flash drive. Their latest announcement, however, may push some into giving it a try.

Hulu and CBS both offer full streaming episodes of popular television shows. Many of the same episodes are available for purchase on iTunes. Hulu is backed by NBC Universal and is the industry's response to both YouTube and iTunes content. Boxee also coexists with the default Apple TV software which can still be used.

The software is still considered to be in "alpha" so readers should proceed with caution, however, Apple TV's can be easily reset to factory default settings. An invitation thread can be used to ask for invites to the service -- any Boxee user can invite an unlimited number of individuals.

Article Link: Boxee Adds Hulu, CBS and Comedy Central Support to Apple TV

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
note:

Hulu.com is U.S. only. I don't know what restrictions CBS and Comedy Central have, but may likely be U.S. also.

No invite requests in this thread, use the invite thread

arn

ChaosAngel

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2005
UK
Upgraded to the new version last night on a Mac Mini 2GHz Core 2 Duo.

Has a great new GUI which is clean and professional looking while also very fast to use, however unfortunately for me it is not as stable as the last release resulting in random crashes that don't appear to have any pattern.

Let me know how everyone else gets on.

REBELinBLUE

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
London, UK
Updated last night, some very nice improvements.

It also includes BBC iPlayer, although I couldn't actually figure out how to get it to play a video from iPlayer, pressing play just bought an info screen (although I didn't try for too long)

freep

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2008
UK
Does anyone know if Boxee is working on integration of a 'Hotspot Shield' type application that would allow people to watch Hulu from outside of the US?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California

Has a great new GUI which is clean and professional looking while also very fast to use, however unfortunately for me it is not as stable as the last release resulting in random crashes that don't appear to have any pattern.

This sounds so awesome. Why does Apple not better support this!? Maybe :apple:TV would be worth actually getting then.

Compile 'em all

macrumors 601
Apr 6, 2005

how do you run it on the mini? do you still need to boot from the stick?

mirffy

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2007
It's a normal .app that can be run on any mac and runs in Fullscreen mode (I haven't figured out how to get it to run in windowed mode, mind you). So you just download the dmg, drag the app in to the Applications folder and run it, as you would with any other .app :)
There is a "Run Boxee at login" option somewhere in the settings, but I haven't tried it yet.

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
nice. I've been using Hulu via PlayOn on my Xbox. It's pretty nice being able to watch these videos on your TV. I'd say give it a shot people!

ChaosAngel

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2005
UK

Hi,

Once invited you can download boxee as a standalone application that will run on OS 10.x. It is also available for Linux if you want to build a cheap media centre. The windows version is in development, however not yet complete and currently scheduled for release this fall.

The standalone application for OS 10.x installs in seconds and allows you to run it from your Applications folder or select run from start-up.

The Mini is regarded as the perfect boxee device :)

ChaosAngel

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2005
UK
It's a normal .app that can be run on any mac and runs in Fullscreen mode (I haven't figured out how to get it to run in windowed mode, mind you). So you just download the dmg, drag the app in to the Applications folder and run it, as you would with any other .app :)
There is a "Run Boxee at login" option somewhere in the settings, but I haven't tried it yet.

To switch from fullscreen to windowed simply hit "Tab" :)

cmendill

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
www.awesome.com

This is so awesome! I had been waiting for a hulu plugin to re-patch my ATV. This version of boxee is hulu and a whole lot more. I just installed, it works really well. This just saved me $240 a year on colbert report and daily show. Awesome!

atvusb-creator now makes the patching process very simple.

heyp

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2008
is this better than plex? i'd be running either boxee or plex on a macbook hooked up to my tv

Tazy

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Hulu.com in Canada?

Is there a way to route through a proxy to pick up hulu in the great white north?
Another shot in the dark... would it help to have a US iTunes account?

empress

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2005
Is there a way to route through a proxy to pick up hulu in the great white north?
Another shot in the dark... would it help to have a US iTunes account?

i'm in jamaica and have no problem using hulu... i do have a US itunes account, but i don't think that is at all related to hulu. hmmm

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
I've been trying to decide if I should get a AppleTV or Mini, but wanted either the Mini to get updated or the AppleTV to have the ability to watch hulu.com, appears AppleTV is the winner. Does this software void the warranty in any way? I think I'll probably wait till MWSF to see if either is updated and then make my purchase.

A@ron

macrumors member
May 2, 2002
Iowa
When you stream these shows from the likes of Hulu and CBS, are they offered in true HD (at least 720p)?

No. In fact Hulu being flash video on the AppleTV uses the 320 stream and not the 480 stream due to processor limitations. Boxee cannot use the GPU to help handle video playback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.