Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chucknorris

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2005
Moscow, ID (No Kremlin here!)
Careful

Johnny Rico said:
I would encourage some thought before comparing Boise to ANY of those cities.. :rolleyes:

And what, pray tell, does that mean (besides the fact that you missed an obvious hyperbole)? It goes without saying that nobody is going to put Boise at the top of their list of world destinations. I'm just emphasizing that this is all subjective, and that nobody can prove OBJECTIVELY that Boise or Elko or Sheboygan or Paris, Texas (more hyperbole) is worse than the cities mentioned in my previous post.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

wPod

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
qzak said:
back in 8th/9th grade i was living in Germany and i had friends who would do this. stupid as hell.

i never imagined that anyone else would do this, but i forwarded this artical to a friend of mine and he said he used to do something like that in middle school. kids would breathe in and out really quickly to cause hyperventalation, then someone else would punch them in the chest to knock the wind out of them. man, when i was that age i was outside riding my bike, going to the cornor store buying baseball cards. when i become a father (hopefually a long time from now) i will make sure my kids have something to do, or at least money to buy baseball cards, so they arent sitting around board trying to see how they can get high!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
wPod said:
i never imagined that anyone else would do this, but i forwarded this artical to a friend of mine and he said he used to do something like that in middle school. kids would breathe in and out really quickly to cause hyperventalation, then someone else would punch them in the chest to knock the wind out of them. man, when i was that age i was outside riding my bike, going to the cornor store buying baseball cards. when i become a father (hopefually a long time from now) i will make sure my kids have something to do, or at least money to buy baseball cards, so they arent sitting around board trying to see how they can get high!

Exactly. There are so many far better things for children to be dong than "this". All it takes is proper parenting and good role models.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
~Shard~ said:
Exactly. There are so many far better things for children to be dong than "this". All it takes is proper parenting and good role models.

And honest discussion of the issues facing the kids of today. Parents ned to be willing to be part of their child's growing phases.

Benjamin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2003
Portland, OR
Passing out game? never heard of it in my area of course I wasn't one of the cool kids back in the day, guess I never had the chance to kill brain cells till beer. my bad.

too bad for these children that are killing themselves.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
haha yeah i remember 2 guys who showed that in school during a break (7th grade ? somthing like that) but when the 2nd one fell down i stumpled forward and fell on his forehead.. so it wasn't that popular and caused more laughter than "i gotta try that" and after all alkohol is gettable with 15 etc. (at least beer wine etc.) here so it was not really something widespread

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Chip NoVaMac said:
And honest discussion of the issues facing the kids of today. Parents ned to be willing to be part of their child's growing phases.

Well put. Open communication is a good thing, and in many cases, a necessity. And yes, above all else, parents actually need to participate and take an active role in their child's life - is that really too much to ask?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
~Shard~ said:
Well put. Open communication is a good thing, and in many cases, a necessity. And yes, above all else, parents actually need to participate and take an active role in their child's life - is that really too much to ask?

I am glad that I am not a parent today. The things that need to be talked about today are much more difficult than the birds and the bees discussion that mine faced with me. I still remember my dad blushing when we had the "chat".

Today parents face challenges that mine never could dream of. It is a sad statement that the news of this death will only lead to even more kids attempting to get "high" from the technique. Add to that the economic situation for most families today leaves little time to focus positive attention on the kids. And that many parents today don't/won't accept the idea that the kids come first. Shuttling them from one event to another does not count.

Today I can count on my hand and still have fingers left the number of times my parents went out and had "time for themselves". No trips to the "islands" for the weekend for my parents. Instead of expensive cars, they put in a pool, that they never really used themselves. I never realized until I came closer to their age as I grew up, what sacrifices they made freely to insure that my sister and I had a "good and safe" life.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Chip NoVaMac said:
Add to that the economic situation for most families today leaves little time to focus positive attention on the kids. And that many parents today don't/won't accept the idea that the kids come first. Shuttling them from one event to another does not count.

Very true. Economically, in the past we saw a lot of single income families. The father worked, while the mother stayed home and truly took care of their children. Nowadays, both parents need to work and that's just to get by it seems. As a result, children grow up seeing babysitters and pre-school teachers more than their actual parents, which is sad.

And as you say, shuttlnig kids to and from events doesn't count as spending "quality time" with your kids. This behavior has become more prevalent in today's society as well, where we see the TV, computers and video games acting as babysitters because the parents are too "busy" and can't be bothered to get their life's priorities straight and focus on their own flesh and blood.

Chip NoVaMac said:
Today I can count on my hand and still have fingers left the number of times my parents went out and had "time for themselves". No trips to the "islands" for the weekend for my parents. Instead of expensive cars, they put in a pool, that they never really used themselves. I never realized until I came closer to their age as I grew up, what sacrifices they made freely to insure that my sister and I had a "good and safe" life.

I know exactly what you mean. When I look back on everything my parents did for me, I'm just blown away. It was all about sacrifice, and putting someone else (me and my brother) first before themselves - always. It's a quality that makes truly good parents unique and special, and something that I admire. I do wish my parents took more time for themselves back then, (and I'm glad to see now that both me and my brother are gone that they are), but at the same time, I think one of the reasons myself and my brother turned out the way we did is thanks to their selfless acts, genuine love, and focus on their children. :cool:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
stupid kids. i have no sympathy for people who go round taking drugs or trying to get the same effect. its pathetic.

god when i was 13 we were playing British Bulldog... not injecting LCD into our eyes with a noose around the neck, with an STD, a baby and a council house to boot. and that was only 6 years ago. idiots.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
raggedjimmi said:
stupid kids. i have no sympathy for people who go round taking drugs or trying to get the same effect. its pathetic.
I agree. I think we should round up all the troublemakers and gas them.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
raggedjimmi said:
god when i was 13 we were playing British Bulldog... not injecting LCD into our eyes with a noose around the neck, with an STD, a baby and a council house to boot. and that was only 6 years ago. idiots.
So you're 19 now, and you're already intolerant of others' mistakes? We've all made mistakes-- some people die making theirs, others luck out. I'm nearly 21 and when I was 13, I knew several peers who were already slanging coke and crack, but I didn't do any of those drugs, and still haven't to this day. Undoubtedly, the values and morals instilled in one from family and your close circle has some play. However, I still don't think it's fair to cast these misguided youths as "stupid." In all likelihood, they're probably above average in their schoolwork-- but because they are not stimulated in other ways, resort to stimulation through unhealthy, external means such as drugs, video games (think of that other thread w/ the guy who died after 50 hours of game play), or this choking game phenomenon.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
devilot76 said:
So you're 19 now, and you're already intolerant of others' mistakes? We've all made mistakes-- some people die making theirs, others luck out. I'm nearly 21 and when I was 13, I knew several peers who were already slanging coke and crack, but I didn't do any of those drugs, and still haven't to this day. Undoubtedly, the values and morals instilled in one from family and your close circle has some play. However, I still don't think it's fair to cast these misguided youths as "stupid." In all likelihood, they're probably above average in their schoolwork-- but because they are not stimulated in other ways, resort to stimulation through unhealthy, external means such as drugs, video games (think of that other thread w/ the guy who died after 50 hours of game play), or this choking game phenomenon.

Very good post devilot76. As you say, a lot of it stems from the values that are instilled by the parents. That, or just actually spending time with your kids, knowing what they are doing and *gasp* taking an interest in your children. So many parents nowadays seem to use the TV, computer and video game console as a babysitter. Without guidance and a general sense of what is right and wrong, how can we expect anything else from these kids? They are either not being properly informed/educated/brought up by their parents, or they are lacking something in their life (parental attention, other hobbies, etc.) which their parents should recognize and address.

At the end of the day though, this is really extreme. When I was a kid I would just have sticked to playing with my G.I. Joe, He-Man and Transformers any day of the week. :cool:

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Wait, who injected LSD into their eyes? I mean, you can barely even get acid anymore, all that happened in the 70s. So right there, you see how our generation is using a lot less mind-altering substances(/methods) than previous. I mean, speaking as one who is pretty familiar with street drugs, dangerous hallucinogenics like acid, peyote, mescaline, and psilocybin are more difficult to find than ever.

In the war on drugs, the casuality are the kids who should be smoking pot, but instead strangle themselves.

Still not amused by those who find this "just" or "funny".

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Well when I was a kid and was with my parents, and there was a drunk guy or watching TV and some other guy doing drugs. they wouldn't tell a 7 year old the whole details about why somebody would do that, or their lives or anything they'd just say "what an idiot" or similar. hell it taught me. my mates were the same.

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
This "Passing out game" is it just like "California High"?! I don't know if anyone here has ever heard this term, but when I was young, my friends and I use to play "California High" all the time. Crazy stuff!

deanbo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Boy Dies

I thought a boy of this age would be intelligent enough to know that hanging yourself from a tree is not particularly good idea, especially if you want to live. I used to play a game similar to this in school but it didn't involve hanging yourself from a tree...

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
deanbo said:
I thought a boy of this age would be intelligent enough to know that hanging yourself from a tree is not particularly good idea, especially if you want to live. I used to play a game similar to this in school but it didn't involve hanging yourself from a tree...
Yea, the game we used to play didn't require that either.

absolut_mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2003
Dallas, Texas
rainman::|:| said:
Well pot can't kill you, or cause brain damage at all, so yes.

Mick Jagger and all the other rockers from that generation are proof of that.

And before anyone starts listing all the rockers that OD'd, it was too much of the *hard* stuff that did in Jimi Hendrix and Jim Morrison. Too bad, because I miss them both.

rendezvouscp

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2003
Long Beach, California
Mavimao said:
I used to do this with friends in High School. Only, we wouldn't choke or hang ourselves. We'd have someone stand up against a tree or solid wall, have them breathe in, and someone else would press against their chest where their lungs are located and that person would pass out for a split second. Only thing is, you felt like it was an hour you were out of it.

No one ever got hurt.

Hanging yourself is stupid. These kids aren't doing it right!

Before I read the article I thought they were doing it "the right way." I've played "the game" before (I really don't think it's a game, more like an experience). You'd put the person against a wall, you'd clear the surroundings around them, put a few people around them to make sure they're safe wherever they start to fall (but they'd usually just slide down the wall and not fall anywhere), and then have the person breathe quickly while hunched over. Once the person was light-headed, then they'd pull themselves up and someone would "choke" them (that seems a lot more violent than just putting a finger on their neck though). The person would be out for just a few seconds, and that was it.

Yes, I'm one of those "stupid kids." I found that it was like a high (but never doing drugs this was a first for me, and I won't ever know what a real high feels like), but it's shocking that people do this by themselves and actually hang themselves. That's almost like suicide. How would you plan to fall out and not be strangled to death while unconscious?

For all of you who would think that kids doing pot wouldn't do this, I've got some friends to show you.

PaRaGoNViCtiM said:
This "Passing out game" is it just like "California High"?! I don't know if anyone here has ever heard this term, but when I was young, my friends and I use to play "California High" all the time. Crazy stuff!

I'm guessing there's a bunch of names for it, but California High is interesting, being in California and having played "the game."

Overall? There seems to be a sense of security in "the game" that you can't die from it, at least the way I know how to "play it." It's sad that someone lost their life because they weren't thinking, but it happens every day in life.
-Chase

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.