Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

big-ted

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
UK
I believe you can legally leave electronics on while flying now! I have left mine on all the time, just put it to sleep.

Depends on the Airline, try using some of the South American Airlines and see what happens

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Apple doesn't support AptX in iOS; however, it is supported in OS X. AptX would re-encode the AAC files to compress them further prior to transmission via the low bandwidth Bluetooth A2DP protocol. In doing so, some distortion in playback of the original AAC file is likely to result--less so than SBC--but some nonetheless. With regards to these Dash wireless headphones though, they support AAC over A2DP natively, so the AAC file can be streamed directly to the headphones without an additional re-compression step. Thus, the audio quality of AAC and MP3 encoded files streamed from an iPhone should be similar to wired headphones
AAC potentially yes (if it's implemented as pass-through rather than blanket transcoding). MP3 no, since it's not supported by the headphones and has to be transcoded to AAC in any case.
Note, these headphones do support loading custom playlists with AAC and/or MP3 files directly on the headphones themselves albeit only 4GB worth which negates having to stream an audio signal altogether. Still, 4GB is probably enough music for 4 hours of playback time...
That's indeed a nice feature particularly for runners who don't want to run with their phone.

ChrisNH

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
southern New Hampshire
I don't want to be browbeaten into using Bluetooth headphones, which I find to be not at all reliable (I've gone through four sets in less than a year). The amount of 'thickness' squeezed out of my perfectly fine iPhone 6 won't be enough to matter, and I will be backed into a Bluetooth corner from which there is no escape.

Reactions: lordofthereef

hiroden

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Vancouver, BC, Canada
For my portable music need, I have a Fiio e12 + beyerdynamic t51i (/w iPhone 6 and my music are in apple lossless format). Bought the t51i when it was on sale, best $150 I ever spent on audio. Plus, i have to work within a wife approved budget.
For working out, I got 2 cheap $30 mpow wireless headsets from amazon. My wife lost one of them already...

I don't mind picking up a pair of the Bragi Dash... but they better be good sound for that kind of price.

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
After all, once the setup is over, what is any owner of the product going to use them for the most?

Heart rate monitoring, fitness monitoring, phone calls controlling Siri - you know all the things the Dash is designed for.

I have been a Kickstarter backer since the start and have been looking for something like this since about 2006.

Other reviews of the dash and comments by revs rate the sound very highly. As good or better than other Bluetooth headphones.

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
get some sort of really slick piercings to make sure they don't fall out of my ears

Star Trek has you covered :p

320x240.jpg

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I can't picture how or why anyone would need 10 hours per day of non stop use.

a typical 9-5 job + going out + gym / excercise time?

the Job alone is already 7-8 hours. some people spend 1-2 hours at the gym. then whatever additional around the house/ travelling / misc usage.

Its one of the reasons why Wireless headsets aren't really ready to replace wired headsets as the main headset. There is absolutely no batterly life requirement for normal headphones using 3.5mm jack.

There is absolutely battery life concerns when regarding bluetooth wireless headphones.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015

the Job alone is already 7-8 hours. some people spend 1-2 hours at the gym. then whatever additional around the house/ travelling / misc usage.

Its one of the reasons why Wireless headsets aren't really ready to replace wired headsets as the main headset. There is absolutely no batterly life requirement for normal headphones using 3.5mm jack.

There is absolutely battery life concerns when regarding bluetooth wireless headphones.

I'm sorry this is absolutely atypical of average headphone use.

For someone who actually needs 10+ continuous hours a day, there's BT headphones with 20+ hours of rated use. Your iPhone will give out long before your 10 hour needs anyway. So the headphones are actually the least of it. If someone really has such needs, they're going to be traveling with extended backup batteries anyway to keep their iPhones charged.

And for those where battery life is an actual concern, or where there will be no place to recharge the headphones, or the iPhone for that matter, there are bluetooth headphones with an optional hard wired connection. Just wind that cord around the headphones, and leave it in your bag when going wireless, or plug it in when the battery runs out. Or plug it in where wireless doesn't matter, saving the battery for situations where wireless brings greater convenience. The best of both worlds.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I'm sorry this is absolutely atypical of average headphone use.

For someone who actually needs 10+ continuous hours a day, there's BT headphones with 20+ hours of rated use. Your iPhone will give out long before your 10 hour needs anyway. So the headphones are actually the least of it. If someone really has such needs, they're going to be traveling with extended backup batteries anyway to keep their iPhones charged.

And for those where battery life is an actual concern, or where there will be no place to recharge the headphones, or the iPhone for that matter, there are bluetooth headphones with an optional hard wired connection. Just wind that cord around the headphones, and leave it in your bag when going wireless, or plug it in when the battery runs out. Or plug it in where wireless doesn't matter, saving the battery for situations where wireless brings greater convenience. The best of both worlds.
you have a terrible habit in all your posts to tell others how they should be doing things.

"you're holding it wrong"

There is also not a single bit of fact in your rant here.

1: Phones that are just playing music can easily last longer than 10 hours. Music is a very small performance user of a phone currently. The #1 battery use is display. if you're using your phone as a PMP to listen to music primarily, you can get days out of it. My current phone easily lasts 2 days if I'm just listening to music and not turning the screen on a lot. I listen most of the day at work.

And yes, there are better options that last longer than 10 hours for those who ant it. but the fact of the matter is, that moving to a wireless only music listening situation imposes two battery restrictions that aren't currently there with wired headphones. 1, Bluetooth will use additional battery power in the phone to transmit. And 2, the headphones themselves will need additional battery where right now, it does not.

Simple fact is, that wireless has it's pros, no doubt about that, I hate using wired headphones at the gym. But while I'm sitting all day at work? or at home? or on the train going downtown? just given me cheap $5 wired headphones that I don't have to remember to charge. Don't have to remember to sync, don't have to remember to bring charge cables or additional cables for.

myers024

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012

You have breaks, you have lunch time, you have the drive to the gym to recharge them. What else did I miss. Who wears headphones in there ears for 10 straight hours without taking them out.

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
These look amazing, and the natural interface is genius. Thinking about the experience around the ear canal, intro the room, charging case, etc. is brilliant—Apple-esque.

Worries me about the electric signal between earpieces. This go through your brain? That can't be good for extended periods of time over many, many years., but I'm no doctor.

Reactions: haruhiko

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008
First, I'd like to point out that the only negative review of the Dash was WSJ. I haven't seen anyone catch on that the pair WSJ tested were either developer or beta with known issues. This was evident by the photos taken and posted by WSJ. The writer's complaints of software could be invalid because he wasn't testing a consumer ready product. Engadget, The Verge, and DC Rainmaker all tested final products at CES. No one has published a reliable outdoor review as of yet. Phew. I feel better by getting that out there.

I am not sure about that as he wore them in the shower and the dev units were not waterproof.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
you have a terrible habit in all your posts to tell others how they should be doing things.

"you're holding it wrong"
Glad I am not the only one who noticed.

I imagine 10 hours is a bit pie in the sky for something like this with current technologies, however 3 hours, IMO, is on the cusp of usable just for the gym for me.

In the summer months I bike and ride the train to work. Commute takes about 45 minutes. I point this out because the way back is usually when I hit the gym. If I am doing cardio, it's generally elyptical or treadmill for an hour. We are already at an hour and 45 minutes at best assuming there is no down time anywhere in between. If I am doing weights that day, another hour, and I am toast.

This isn't a typical gym day (I don't generally do a full hour of cardio on days that I lift), but it wouldn't also be a scenario that NEVER happens. There isn't a bigger buzzkill than bad music (or no music lol) in the gym. Forget about telling me to wear a larger pair of wireless can (I see people with beats in the gym and.... to each his own, leave it at that lol) and I have tried some highly rated bluetooth buds that just didn't do it for me. Those has a battery life of about 6 hours (if I am not mistaken), and that was something I couldn't complain about.

Still, if these are solid buds for the gym, I am game to try them out and just use a different pair for the commute to the gym. That wouldn't kill me, but it would be an inconvenience, for sure. My MAIN concern is gym use.

If you got to their website http://www.bragi.com/ you can see that they really seem to be pushing these as a sport headphone which is even viable for swimming. This has me hopeful about gym use. The price point is still a little jarring though.

Last edited:

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008

I do think you are atypical - I am trying to understand a job that has you in a position that you are wearing headphones all day and have no periods in the day when you have to interact with other people. The Dash has a 30 minute recharge time I think with capacity for five charges in the carrying case.

Personally I plan to use my Dash for 30 mins exercise in the morning, then when I get to the office (I currently drive to work) I will wear them whilst working at the computer and then charge them whilst in meetings. AT home I will then use them to watch TV or play on the XBox whilst others are in bed. These are going to be incredible and something I have been chasing to find for 10 years.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Am i the only one concerned about the "magnetic induction" part of the Near Field Magnetic Induction technology in terms of my brain health?

Wondering how the intensity of this compares with MRI.. I dont want my brain to be exposed to mini MRI every day.

Can you not tell the difference between these two items?

Bragi-Dash.jpg

MRI03.jpg

Reactions: mijail

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
I do think you are atypical - I am trying to understand a job that has you in a position that you are wearing headphones all day and have no periods in the day when you have to interact with other people. The Dash has a 30 minute recharge time I think with capacity for five charges in the carrying case.

Personally I plan to use my Dash for 30 mins exercise in the morning, then when I get to the office (I currently drive to work) I will wear them whilst working at the computer and then charge them whilst in meetings. AT home I will then use them to watch TV or play on the XBox whilst others are in bed. These are going to be incredible and something I have been chasing to find for 10 years.

The wonders of an analyst technical desk job is getting long periods of time sitting in my office doing technical writing, planning, procedure generation / documentation. there are days where I can have my headset going from 8:30-5 before soemone interrupts me... some days, I never sit down.

But i'm also close to work to walk. And walk to the gym then home. Which I listen.

Then sometimes at home I like walking around listening to music, when cooking for example. I prefer headsets so that I don't piss off my room mate with blasting music.

I honestly don't believe i"m That unusual with the desire to have a headset last for long hours between charging. I think the charging factor will be the #1 barrier to moving to wireless

Clarky!

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
So how about we just man up and use ear-clips (like pictured below) instead of trying to act like these aren't a bad idea?

WWT0ttV.jpg

In fact, can we just cut the cord, bulk it up a bit for bluetooth stuff or whatever it needs to work, and sell it?

YUK!! I suppose for some people they don't like having ear buds in, but you get used to it.

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
One thing's for sure, I need to pay more attention to KickStarter, because I would have paid $179 easily for these. That's an insane price. I'm considering them at $300 but I wanna wait for more reviews before I buy a first gen.

pjh

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Airstrip 1
Having watched all the promotional material about these headphones I am quite excited about them. The increase in functionality they bring, could drive a step change in wireless headphone adoption. But, today they have two major shortcomings, price and battery life.

While the charging solution is very clever, for me it does not compensate for the 3 hour battery life. That is just too small and will be a constant inconvenience. I don't want to be constantly concerned about how much life I have left in my headphones before I need to disconnect and recharge. I know that this is inevitable with wireless devices, but 3 hours is just too much of a compromise. When they hit 6 or 7, then they'll be serious contenders. As for the price, it's high, but you seem to get a lot for your money. If the audio quality is good, I can see me paying $2-300 for these, assuming the battery life is improved.

Hopefully other manufacturers will step up now and we'll start to see a significant boost in the functionality of Bluetooth headphones. Because to me, being untethered with BT headphones is insufficient benefit to compensate for the loss in sound quality at a set price point and the need to recharge (except in the gym).

I think we have exciting times ahead of us though.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
But, today they have two major shortcomings, price and battery life.

While the charging solution is very clever, for me it does not compensate for the 3 hour battery life. That is just too small and will be a constant inconvenience.

You know what I like about these earbuds? I like how small they are and that they can be recharged in the case. $300 is a little steep to own more than one pair, but how about 4 buds in a case? When two run out of juice, just replace them with the two fully charged ones in the case while the original pair recharge, and are ready when the second pair run out.

I could actually live with that at 3-hours to a charge, but not for $600.

pjh

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
Airstrip 1
You know what I like about these earbuds? I like how small they are and that they can be recharged in the case. $300 is a little steep to own more than one pair, but how about 4 buds in a case? When two run out of juice, just replace them with the two fully charged ones in the case while the original pair recharge, and are ready when the second pair run out.

I could actually live with that at 3-hours to a charge, but not for $600.

The case is certainty an elegant workaround to the limited battery life. Only downside (with the exception of cost) of 4 buds in a box, is that you would end up sharing them (maybe not through choice) and associated ear fudge too :(

I would be quite interested to see what software options they come with. I personally have no interest in the heart rate and oxygen monitor. If you could disable these options and boost the battery life that would be great. Everyone could customise them to fit their needs.

They are so close to having a fantastic product. I hope they get the chance to mature it and establish themselves before someone rips off the concept.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Interestingly, there are no technical specifications on the audio quality of this product.

I had a look at the website to get more details but there is absolutely nothing. How can you sell an audio product with no audio specifications?! Sounds dubious to me.....

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Yes, a cell phone next to an ear for a typical call vs. earbuds in ears for upwards of hours at a time. Yes, that's exactly the same thing. How foolish of me.

I know you're trying for sarcasm, but you're wide of the mark. Near field mag induction is not the same as microwave RF.

Near field magnetic induction has been used in medical devices (like hearing aids) for a long time. The body is not damaged by magnetic fields or near field mag induction, unless you worry about standing next to a speaker and being affected by the magnet in it, or being exposed to the earth's magnetic field.

A cellphone antenna and radio broadcast microwave energy over long ranges and that sort of RF *can* affect the human body - like many types of EM radiation depending on the intensity and frequency.

Look at it this way, if you wear a normal pair of headphones then you are "steadily beaming magnetic waves directly through our brains every second we are using them" (to quote you) by the nature of having magnets close to your head. It doesn't seem to have affected us so far.

I think it's time to retire the "dihydrogen monoxide is dangerous" petition and start a "magnets are harming our children" one.

Reactions: mijail

bstpierre

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2008
These are interesting for sure. As a runner they look very appealing. However, with the Apple watch giving me accurate HR info, plus a pair of $35 chinese wireless bluetooth earbuds, paying another $299 is not in the cards.

You get accurate heart rate info from your watch? What's your secret? My watch frequently disagrees with my chest strap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.