Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andyrx7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
Hi,

Last Tuesday I received my brand new 15" BTO Powerbook, ordered from the Apple Canada online store.

So far I love this computer, with the exception of...

I have just noticed that there is a minor dent on the edge of the metal surrounding the screen, around the middle where it latches. Furthermore, there are a few smaller dents / scratches closer to the right edge of the metal surrounding the screen.

There is no way that I inflicted these dents, because when I received the computer I put it on its iCurve and have left it there since - I have been very gentle with the computer. This leads me to assume they happened during shipping (express Fedex shipping from Apple). I thought the package they shipped the PB in was not very well padded - personally I think it wasn't sufficient to protect the computer properly.

When I say 'minor' dents, I mean quite minor - it took me a week to notice them, I can only see them under certain light and when I run my finger over them. They aren't something that most people would notice by just looking casually.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Does this warrant calling Apple and demanding a replacement computer? How easy going will they likely be about this?

Here's how I feel: When I order an expensive brand new item, I expect it to be *brand new*, *perfect* and not damaged in any way. Although this damage is very minor, I'm not exactly thrilled with it. However, I would much rather keep it and live with it, than send it to Apple, have them say it isn't significant enough to warrant a replacement, and then get it back with potentially more shipping damage than it had in the first place. Plus if I get a new computer, I'll have to re-set up everything I've done so far.

Also, am I likely to just get a replacement computer with something similar wrong with it, since it will come in the same packaging and be shipped the same way?

andyrx7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
I assume so... it came in a black fancy looking Apple box with a picture of it and a plastic handle. That box was then surrounded by a very thin brown paper 'box'.

The reason I say that I found the above insufficient is that every other computer I've ever bought has come in a huge box with tons of padding and protection for it.

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
The box is sufficiently padded and could not have caused any damage to your powerbook. Especially as i have intepreted you post on the inside of the screen.

andyrx7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
Sorry, I should clarify a bit - it is on the outside of the metal that surrounds the screen. It is exposed when the powerbook is closed.

Well, if not damaged during shipping, it must have been at the factory. I reiterate, there is no way I inflicted this damage.

The 'serious problems later' part is the kind of thing I was worried about - I guess I'll call them and demand a replacement.

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
It will have no 'serious problems later' and if you call Apple they will tell you it is cosmetic which it is and you have no way of proving you did not inflict the damage.

andyrx7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
Can someone specify what 'serious problems' I should or should not be worry about? I'm not really sure what we are referring to that could happen.

I agree that I can't 'prove' I didn't inflict the damage, but no one could in this type of situation. As they say, the customer is always right. Since I've only had the machine for a week I don't think it's unreasonable to take me at my word.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
The dent is on the cover of the screen, right? Thus, it probably affected the screen somehow. Also, the wireless antenna is on the sides of the screen.

Is your PB modified (i.e. increased RAM, VRAM, HD)? If not, then you can return it, and order another one later. If yes, I would call them and have them look at it.

You pay a lot for getting a nice PB, so I say, call them and have them replace it.

If nothing serious is wrong with it as stated by Switzermac, then it might not be a bad idea to get AppleCare.

It's your decision, of course.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
say you opened it today/tomarrow (the day you call apple) and you noticed it. say it you haven't had a chance to open it and set it up :rolleyes: ;)

Switzermac

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2005
That would be fraud and Apple will see it was used and refuse to replace it and void your warranty

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Switzermac said:
It will have no 'serious problems later' and if you call Apple they will tell you it is cosmetic which it is and you have no way of proving you did not inflict the damage.
Glad you know in advance what Apple's reaction will be.

Andryx7: Besides the obvious "it's asupped to be new but it's not perfect" which IS a legitimate complaint - it may be a store return, tradeshow demo or previously sold and returned machine - there is another concern you should have.

As documented here by other posters, if you have a hard drive failure or other problem under warranty, and Apple see damage on the machine that they deem may have been caused by dropping it, then they may disallow the warranty for reasons of customer damage.

I have no idea whether these dings are serious enough to warrant that response, but even if I were inclined to keep this machine, I would want it in writing from Apple that these dings were factory delivered and will in no way affect the warranty.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
puckhead193 said:
say you opened it today/tomarrow (the day you call apple) and you noticed it. say it was a birthday gift :rolleyes:
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/canadapolicies.html

You have 30 days after the date of the invoice to report a DOA machine for replacement.

"Dead On Arrival (DOA) Product: System Failure Out of the Box

An Apple-branded hardware product is considered DOA if it shows symptoms of a hardware failure preventing basic operability, upon its first use out of the box. If you discover that your product may be DOA please call Apple Care Technical Support at 1-800-263-3394 within 30 calendar days of the invoice date. Apple Care Technical Support will determine if the product is DOA and offer you the following options:

- Replacement: The same product that you ordered will be shipped to you at Apple's expense. An Apple Store sales support representative will contact you within 24 hours of your call with the replacement product delivery time, and the process to return the DOA product.

- Service: You may have the product repaired; however, once serviced the product is no longer eligible for replacement. Product must be deemed DOA by Apple Care Technical Support within 30 calendar days of the invoice date in order to receive a replacement unit."

"Defective Items

If you discover what you believe is a product defect for any Apple branded product please contact Apple Technical Support at 1-800-263-3394. Such a defect, if any, is covered under the terms of your product's warranty. Please refer to the warranty information and other support documentation that came with your product."

Certainly this is not a DOA situation, but Andryx7 can argue "not delivered new product as advertised"

andyrx7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
Thanks for all the advice. I'm still a little undecided... my girlfriend could barely even feel the dent and seems to think I'm crazy for worrying about it.

I guess I'll give Applecare a call to see what they say... I think I would go for a replacement if they guaranteed it before sending in the machine, but I don't think I'd want to send it in for repair based on this.

I'm a bit worried that if I send it in, they'll laugh and think I'm crazy for worrying about such a little thing lol, and send it back to me!

iSaint

macrumors 603
andyrx7 said:
Thanks for all the advice. I'm still a little undecided... my girlfriend could barely even feel the dent and seems to think I'm crazy for worrying about it.

I guess I'll give Applecare a call to see what they say... I think I would go for a replacement if they guaranteed it before sending in the machine, but I don't think I'd want to send it in for repair based on this.

I'm a bit worried that if I send it in, they'll laugh and think I'm crazy for worrying about such a little thing lol, and send it back to me!

That's what Applecare is for...let alone having a brand new computer. Any imperfection on something new wouldn't be acceptable. Call and see what they say.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
I would most definetly send it in, and soon.

The poster who said to say it was a gift was not implying fraud, by the way. It is a white lie, to ensure that they do not assume you did the damage. Nothing fraudulous.

I vote you call and send it.

Billly

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2005
i was in your same position back when i brought my powerbook. i noticed that when i close the screen, one side has a bigger gap than the other from the base, but after awhile, i just kept it. maybe, it's all in your head? good luck.

Eevee

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2004
New Haven, CT
Either way, it's your decision to call or not.

I thank CanadaRAM for making it clear about returning a DOA product from Apple.

Good luck

andyrx7

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2005
Thanks again for all the advice.

So I had a really careful look at it tonight, from different angles, and it's quite apparent that the whole screen is bent right down the middle. The screen essentially makes a V. With the screen closed, the gap on one side is way bigger than the other side. I showed it to a few other people and they all agree it's bent.

Anyways, I called Applecare and they agreed to replace it right off the bat. I'm supposed to get a phone call within 3 days to arrange the details. So I guess that's good! I really hope the replacement will be problem-free.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
andyrx7 said:
Anyways, I called Applecare and they agreed to replace it right off the bat. I'm supposed to get a phone call within 3 days to arrange the details. So I guess that's good! I really hope the replacement will be problem-free.
Back up your data of course before sending it in, and you may wish to zero out the drive if you are nervous about your data accidentally appearing on someone elses Apple Refurb Powerbook a month from now.

Remember to remove any third party RAM before sending it back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.